Coach sugar-coats Peppers & McClellin poor performance...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Oct 12, 2013.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +856 / 1 / -0
    That was precisely my point in describing how Marinelli got good pressure on RG3 last night despite not having or losing 3 of his 4 DL starters, including Demarcus Ware. And RG is a lot harder QB to coral in the pocket than Eli is. And Redskins OL can't be worse that the Giants'.

Point is: I know there have been injuries but other teams seem to overcome them. I'm losing faith in Mel Tucker very quickly.
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +856 / 1 / -0
    SHEA NEEDS TO BE A MLB OR SLB
    Pretty simple.
    That's where his physical attributes point to.
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue

Ratings:
    +286 / 0 / -0
    Agree with the majority of what is being said on here. Shea is looking less and less like a DE like alot of us feared. What more do you expect when you take an OLB in college and ask him to play a 5/7 tech in the NFL. Not strong our big enough to play the position.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 0 / -0
    I was really impressed with Marinelli's DL last night. They've had a bunch of injuries, and they still keep rolling. I thought Marinelli was gonna stroke-out last night, the way he was "into the game" and so passionate (he got a bench personal foul for it at one point, but could hardly blame him. It was a bad call). I think our DL, minus Marinelli, is what you see now. Not much.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +856 / 1 / -0
    Yeah and it isn't the kid's fault. The coaches are mis-using him and wasting him. He's a 245lb high motor/speed guy whose abilities are wasted when he's asked to put a hand down and be locked up immediately with an OT at the line. Does it take a genius to see this?
    So now 2 whole seasons are being wasted playing him where he's a liability instead of developing the LB techniques he could be mastering by now.
    I do love what Phil Emery has done for this offense but the whole Shea situation is a major black mark on his record so far.
  6. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +211 / 1 / -0
    I love Emery as well, but IF we ULTIMATELY wind up trading/releasing Shea, only to see him thrive as a LB on some other team....well, I am not gonna be too happy.

:mad:
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +856 / 1 / -0
    Yep. Marinelli was playing with a paper thin DL of backups and still managed to put heat on a very mobile QB.
    So, it isn't all just "we lost Melton" (who wasn't playing all that well before he got hurt).
    Tucker is NOT doing a good job right now.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 0 / -0
    I sometimes wonder if Lovie pressured Emery for the Shea pick.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +856 / 1 / -0
    Be prepared to be pissed then because that's exactly what is gong to happen unless management gets their collective head our of their ass this February and starts developing Shea properly.
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue

Ratings:
    +286 / 0 / -0
    Agree. I don't hate Shea because its not like he can control being misused (and never should have been drafted by a non 3-4 team) I was confident as soon as we made this pick that a 3-4 was in the near future but if it was going to happen it likely would have been this year. It just makes absolutely no sense and really pisses me off when you consider we took an olb to play de. He is failing and Chandler Jones (who we should have taken) is thriving.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +472 / 2 / -3
    I was watching MNF tonight, and they said Robert Mathis has 9.5 sacks. I think the entire Bears front-4 has only 6. They may be on a record pace.
  12. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +472 / 2 / -3
    At the end of Monday’s abbreviated practice, Bears coach Marc Trestman had his usual circuit of chats with various individuals or position groups.

This time, however, he also brought together one particularly diverse group that extended across position lines.

The players were just the rookies, ranging from linebacker Jonathan Bostic and Khaseem Greene to running back Michael Ford to offensive linemen like Kyle Long.

Trestman’s message was direct and forceful: “Coach was urging us to stay up and stay ready,” said rookie defensive end Cornelius Washington. “It’s our job and that’s what we came here to do.”

=======================
    So, is this just more happy-talk from Trestman?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 0 / -0
    I think it's straight shooting truth. Players are dropping like flies this season. The "Next Man Up" thing is for real this year. Better be ready if you're a rook. The team is depending upon them this year, and more than I can remember in many years. It began with the right side of our OL being rookies (and not just high-round draft picks). It's "real" now, and those youngsters who are not playing much yet (or at all) still better be ready to roll so they can play their absolute best if their number is called.

Trestman is "circling the wagons" for the final battle here. Rooks are relevant for a change. Our season is depending on 'em. And at 4-2, we still look pretty good at this point of the season.
  14. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +392 / 0 / -0
    I'm not so sure that Emery was pressured by Lovie or anyone to make that selection, I think it's more related to he came in and didn't have time to do much with the scouting department, or to go through the draft board and make significant changes. I think we was given Jerry's board and had to pretty much roll with it. I don't like the pick either (or how the coaches are using him), but I blame Angelo for that pick. I do give Emery some blame though as well, because he should have given more thought to the #1 pick.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +472 / 2 / -3
    That's my point. Guys like Bostic, CornWash, and Ford only get on the field if somebody is carried off the field on a stretcher. If Trestman were serious about giving them a chance to contribute, he would have them getting some reps now . It's pretty damn disingenuous for Trestman to tell CornWash to "be ready" and then not even put him on the active list for the Redskins game. That's what pisses me off.
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 0 / -0
    To be honest, I don't know why that would be the case. I agree, that when you have a unit that is having injury problems like the DL, you'd think they'd try to get him some reps in the rotation, even if it was just a limited number for now.
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +856 / 1 / -0
    This is everywhere in the NFL. Not just the Bears because (boo-hoo!) Melton got hurt. Cry me a river... Within the last two months:

Green Bay has lost a pro bowl defender in Matthews, their starting LT, and now 2 of their 3 top WRs.

Dallas had 3 of their original 4 starting DLs out, including a pro bowler in Ware.

San Diego shut down Indy last night missing 2 starters on DL and 2 starting LBs. Held Luck to ZERO TDs.

New England lost Mayo, Talib, and Wilfork (2 pro bowlers) and Brady is throwing to udfas & no-names at WR with Hernandez, Gronk, and Amendola all gone.

No excuses. The coaches need to have their reserves ready to ball. The rest of the NFL is doing it so yes it can be done. There is no excuse for the Bears D being as bad as it has been. Mel Tucker could learn a few things from the above teams.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. A-11

A-11

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    Emery doesn't get a pass for Shea. When he explained the selection after the draft his comments showed he had a main role in the evaluation. Ironically, Phil commented on how in college he was able to get off blocks and use his instincts which I think we can agree with did not translate into the next level...

Here are two article cut outs after his selection, and then I'll comment:

1.)
    from April 27, 2012 McClellin's Instincts appealed to Emery by Jeremy Stoltz
    Full article: http://chi.scout.com/2/1181549.html
    It was McClellin’s on-field IQ that ultimately landed him in Chicago.
    “If there was one area that stands out for me as an evaluator, in evaluating Shea, in myself and our coaches and our scouts, is that we all came away from looking at him, is the high level of football instincts,” Emery said. “This is very natural player. He plays with low pad level, he finds the ball quickly through blocks, which is a skill in itself, he reads pressure well he can feel where the ball is going and he has a very natural ability to find the right path to the ball off blocks to make the tackle as quick as possible.”
    Yet, across the NFL, instincts is a relative term – the inherent objectivity of which makes the draft so fascinating. A typical 4-3 defensive end is tall with long arms. Length is critical from a down edge rusher. Yet McClellin (6-3, 260) is undersized and has relatively short arms (33 ¾ inches). He looks the part of a 3-4 OLB, not a 4-3 DE. But Emery pushed those established physical expectations aside and took the player he felt was most instinctive.

“It’s just natural instincts in terms of feeling pressure. Say if an offensive tackle was trying to reach to my outside, [McClellin] instantly has a feel for feeling that block, getting his body in a right leverage position and working off that block to the ball. Taking his natural and his quickest path from the blocker to the ball possible. Some people possess it at a high level. He does. Some don’t, they get stuck on blocks. They are the type of guy you see in good lock-out position and they are all squared up and they are ready and the ball carrier goes right by them. They are not reactive from block to ball. Shea has that ability at a very high level.”

[​IMG]
    DE Shea McClellin
    Mark J. Rebilas/US Presswire

2.)
    Surprise Just Way Emery Liked It, by Melissa Isaacson on April 27, 2012
    Full Article: http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/stor...ry-makes-bold-first-draft-pick-shea-mcclellin
    "At the Senior Bowl, he played more linebacker than rushing, so that was kinda good for us because not as many people saw him as a rusher," said Emery, who said he did a lot of work on McClellin as director of college scouting for the Kansas City Chiefs, where he would have fit nicely into their 3-4 defense. "He played SAM backer in that game and all we could find on tape out of all the one on one Senior Bowl rushes was one rush. So people got into him late."
    [​IMG]
    DE Shea McClellin
    Otto Kitsinger III/Getty Images

my $0.02:
    So yeah, Emery SURPRISE! Even @ BSU Shea did not put his hand on the ground unless it was a obvious passing down. He did good, real good there too but, I think you just got too smart for yourself in this instance. From my understanding Shea put in the work this off season trying to bulk up and did make progress. Unfortunately this was the off season where you would expect to see the most results and it wasn't enough.

Falling short of expectations, I get that. Still the hate on McC has gone a little too far on this board IMO. He is one of the parts, and not THE reason the DL isn't getting the pressure to make the Cover 2 work as it should. I have not given up on Shea either (you know I'm homer/fan boy of his). When he was drafted I thought two things:

1.) Emery wanted to F2#$ the Packers who were looking to build off Matthews and get another OLB.
    2.) Shea might be Urlacher's replacement.

Both of those ideas were a little out there (Okay, wrong). You don't use your #19 pick just to cut another team off at the pass. It is great when you can, but the point is to build your team. And back then before Hardin got hurt he seemed closer to a cover 2 MLB. Shea is quick, but not fast... Not sure how well he could cover TE/Slot receivers... The point is I agree with the comments about changing Shea's role. I did not expect him to really be used as he has been.

The motor and drive seems to wavering a little also according to my eye test. That needs to be corrected, pronto! His instincts and motor are what made him a first round pick to begin with...

I think Shea has just been okay. I believe some of the points of his original assessment still ring true and that there is still potential to work with. The instincts are still there. When he isn't being eaten by lineman, he actually looks pretty decent. That spin move can be pretty lethal when it fires off correctly. We saw that last week.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  19. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +472 / 2 / -3
    Absolutely. If you have guys who are injured or playing like crap (Peppers/McClellin) these other teams are making moves to try to keep the DL competitive. Trestman/Tucker are just slogging along and making feel-good speeches. This is the worst DL in years and it's not all due to injury.
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +856 / 1 / -0
    We all know the superficial demeanor Trestman gives off--calm, professorial, unflappable. We have also heard that heis incredibly passionate about football right beneath the surface and diligently worked his ass off for years to get to the point of being able to HC in the NFL. Well, I am all for the calming steely exterior in public but I hope he is privately KICKING MEL TUCKER IN THE BALLS HARD this week. As in, firmly reminding him that the current level of performance on D is unacceptable and that the DC will be held accountable if it doesn't improve going forward.

It will be 10 days off between the NYG game and the Skins game. Then two weeks off until Green Bay. That's an eon of time in NFL terms to prepare and scheme and assess and adjust. He will have Paea and Tillman back too and time to give lots of practice reps to Bostic. I wanna see a lot more out of this D than relying on the secondary to make 3 picks a game after the bye.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1