Coach sugar-coats Peppers & McClellin poor performance...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Oct 12, 2013.

1. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yup. We need some change, we have good timing with the Thursday night game and our bye...

TIME TO KICK THE DEFENSE IN THE BALLS. Everyone but Tillman =) and yes start with Tucker.
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,254 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    300ß
    It's Trestman's job to kick Tucker's nuts and Tucker's job to kick the players'.

Hot Rod/Buddy Ryan would be throwing chairs through windows right now. Light a fire under some asses. Pretty much everyone outside of Briggs and Tillman look like statues out there.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,450 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    890ß
    1. I agree with you, that there is no excuse for the D being as bad as it is.

2. Some seasons are worse than others for the Bears, as far as injuries. Yes, every team has them. But it does seem to vary from year to year, and from team to team, as to the overall level of injuries (not just number but also how key players are affected. Obviously losing Jay Cutler is not equivalent to losing say, Tony Fiammetta or Earl Bennett). There is a "bad luck" dynamic to a team's injury woes from year to year.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,088 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,171ß
    GB lost Matthews last week and 2 of their WR's in this past game, lets judge them on what happens the next 2 weeks, and Matthews is not on the DL.
    Dallas ranks 30th in D, how's hot rod looking right now?
    SD is ranked behind Chi in team D also,
    NE, Mayo is a WLB and Talib is a CB, Wilfork is legit, and it's Brady throwing to no names...but it's BRADY a HOF QB, big difference between Cutler and no matter how good his weapons are, but Dobson was drafted in the 2nd round, Edlmen 7th round, but that was in 09, he knows that O as well as anyone. Thompkins ya valid point. Yes NE is ranked ahead of them, but it's not like NE is lighting the world on fire w/their Def.

So again your point, D's that have a lot of inj's are not very good. Well taken thank you for pointing out the obvious.
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,254 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    300ß
    Dallas D is not very good overall I agree, but they did a heck of a job with NOTHING against Washington. Held Morris mostly in check except one big gash. Yeah, RG got garbage yards and broke a few runs (which I expect he will against us too this Sunday) but kept Skins to 1 TD and only 16 points. We couldn't even do that against such offensive powerhouses as the Vikings and Steelers. Lets see how we do this Sunday in comparison. BTW, Dallas D yards allowed is skewed somewhat by getting scorched by Manning/Broncos for over 500. I doubt we would have done any better.

SD D sucks and is less talented than Bears. But rose to the occasion in a must win and held Indy/Luck to zero TDs and only 9 points. I'm still waiting for Tucker's D to rise to that level in one game.

Matthews is their best pass rusher in GB (even though technically an OLB) and was out yet they still got lots of pressure on Flacco. Still waiting, Mel...
  6. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +695 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    869ß
    My impression of Trestman is that he actually believes what he has been saying about the DL. He looks at the film seeking/praying for signs of small progress week-to-week. As Art Garfunkel might say, Trestman sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest. If he saw it as we do, we'd already see some changes in personnel and creative blitz packages instead of the same players doing the same (ineffective) things every game. If it were not for Briggs, we'd be LAST in NFL in sacks.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,088 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,171ß
    MP, wasn't Chicago's D one of the few to not allow a TD in the 4th qtr, that's not stepping up?

I'd agree w/you about NY's Den game, but they also gave up 480 yards to Wash, a 1 win team, so sorry it's not just an outlier.

GB got a whopping 0 sacks against Balt, it's not like the Bears aren't getting any pressures, they are, they just cannot finish it.
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,254 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    300ß
    [quote="riczaj01, post: 21730]
    GB got a whopping 0 sacks against Balt, it's not like the Bears aren't getting any pressures, they are, they just cannot finish it.[/quote]

Not true, Ric. Packers sacked Flacco FIVE TIMES (3 by Hawk) without their best pass rusher, pressured him constantly (lot of throwaways), and held Rice to under 50 yards rushing.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,088 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,171ß
    Sorry you're right, NFL doesn't do a total on the bottom of the lists.

All their sacks though came from blitzes by CB's and LB's. not one from the DL. And Flacco threw for 340 yards and 2 TD's.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,254 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    300ß
    I'll happily give up 340 yards and only 17 points [GB-Balt]
    I'll happily give up 323 yards (combined run pass) and only 16 points [Dal-Wash]

Lets be honest, we are going to have to blitz (and take chances in coverage) going forward to get decent QB pressure. We aren't used to seeing that as Bears fans but lots of teams do it week in and week out. We really don't have a choice and I hope Tucker understands that.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,088 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,171ß
    MP, I agree, but I'm not sure our Safeties are good enough to handle that, and quite honestly we have cover 2 corners and i'm not sure how effective they will be there, although no doubt better then the safeties.

I think the reality is that the Bears D is going to give up 18-25 points a game, which means the O better be scoring 24-30 points a game more often then not.
  12. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Personally that's what I think happened. If we move him to SLB just think our LB corps of the future are Greene-Bostic-McClellan. Would make for a nice commercial.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,254 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    300ß
    Bears need to either move Shea to SLB or move on from him. I hope it's the former but the choice needs to be made this spring.
  14. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    still wonder why there isn't talk about Peppers here...
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,088 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,171ß
    What's to say about Peppers that hasn't already been said? He's now to old to play? What can you do about it now? Even if didn't have 2 starting DT's inj'd forcing your other DE to play inside, you cannot bench Peppers b/c of his play b/c that means Shea is then starting opposite Wootton, and at least Pep can set up an edge.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,450 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    890ß
    Exactly. If folks think things are bad now, reality is that it can get much worse. The plane is in the air. Not much you can do at this late date to tinker with the engines in-flight. The ride is scary enough as it is.

We just have to trust that the captain can fly the plane with the engines he has.

[​IMG]
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,254 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    300ß
    There's nothing else to say about Peppers. Bears thought they could squeeze another good year or two out of him and it isn't happening. This is his last season in a Bears uni and we are seeing why. He's not worth nearly what his contract pays him anymore.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1