Compensatory Picks be nice

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, May 11, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +597 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    464ß
    I read an article the other day on the web and can not find it again but was very good. Got me thinking how nice it will be to not have to make the big moves in Free Agency and truely load up in the draft, which is what every team states it wants to do. Thinks like holding off on signing free agents until after June 1 do not effect your team. Teams like the Ravens and Packers always get these picks and it is by design, not by luck. Its a great way to stay out of salary cap hell and picking up an extra 3 or 4 picks a yr through compensatory picks may be the next wave in the draft. Here is an article for now and I will paste the other later when I find it again.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/01/2014-nfl-draft-baltimore-ravens-compensatory-picks/
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +350 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    My favorite for our GM spot was DeCosta and I still think he would have been a great pick. Newsome is a great GM and the Ravens are set with DeCosta being his heir apparent. Don't get me wrong, I love Emery and think he goes about it the right way.. just admiring the Ravens front office is all.

I wouldn't be surprised if Emery either already knows and plans on doing this, or catches wind of this apparent "special sauce" and we're soon following a similar formula. That's what I love about Emery, I feel he's the type who will put his heart and soul into researching what it takes to make a great team. He'll consider every source possible and if there's a new way to evaluate players then he's at least up for learning more about it. He'll have his own "special sauce" before too long, I'm sure. We just gotta get outta this depth/talent hell that Angelo left us in.
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +597 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    464ß
    I agree, JA did not leave us the option near term but long term I hope to see us get there. May require some change management with the fan base as we have come to expect the FA's but having confidence in Emery to make good picks is critical to the comp picks working. Still not the article I wanted but here is another good read.

http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1529607.html
  4. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +350 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    Damn, that was crazy to read.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    I think fan bases w/teams that have constant success get used to the idea that FA isn't as important. I' m hoping that via the draft this team and the fans get there sooner then later.

Here's to Bushrod/Slauson/Allen/Ratliff being the last of a long line of top end FA's.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +350 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    Amen to that, time to build this team from the draft. Gotta love what Phil has done in FA, no doubt about it. Leaves me confident that if there is a position we need upgraded that he won't be timid in going after it in FA or the draft. But from Day 1 he's been very adamant about building through the draft and I'm seeing it start now and look forward to it continuing down the road.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,682 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,159ß
    Unfortunately poor drafting and player development have left us in a spot where it's been difficult to let vet FAs walk until we have adequate replacements. GB has done this very well and we've done it poorly and until recently that was one of the gaps in youth and depth we needed to close and it's beginning to.

So far Uncle Phil and his pro personnel guys have been far better at digging up 4th and 5th year players who are on the verge of breaking out and are willing to take one year prove it deals in exchange for getting on board with the Bears, winning a starting slot, and getting their longer term deals. Matt Slauson was a good example of that last year and guys like de la Puente and Mundy may be this years winners.

After years of poor drafting I think we're beginning to see better scouting and a better approach to picking players in rounds 2-5 where you get those younger core guys who can step up and replace vets who become to expensive to retain. So they move on signing big dollar deals and that's also part of that arcane formula the NFL uses to determine how many compensatory picks you get and in what rounds.

We got a few of them while JA was here but like many of his mid round picks they were wasted on players who either never made the team or weren't even close to being difference makers. I can see that beginning to turn around now and IMHO there's not doubt that between Emery, Trestman and Stein the Bears will develop their own recipe for getting younger and growing their own talent.

Everyone around the NFL media is crowing about the changes being made in TB but I suspect that joy will be short lived unless Lovie changes his habits as far as who he hires for his staff. He always had far too many yes men who blew smoke up his ass about the talent of their players and obviously they had all kinds of problems teaching and developing rookies and younger players. I don't feel that's a problem any longer or if it is then a change will be made in short order just like bringing in Herrick and Pasqualoni to coach the LBs and DL.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    Emery's biggest questionmark had been his ability to draft D players, and this year I think he answered it w/flying colors. You got 2 DT's and at least 1 possibly 2 DB's for the next 4 years and all are going to contribute(imo) in those years.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,230 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    Ric:
    I'm not going to agree yet. First, I really like his picks, but at the same time, they both have associated risk. I'm not taking Emery off the "defensive player draft watch" yet. I know they both have huge upside, but I want results before I say the guy can draft defensive players. I will say that I think the guy can find people that have huge upside to them. I think that is an excellent start. New we need coaches that can make it happen from there.

The coach I still have big questions marks around is Tucker. Not so much for developing players because that's not so much his job, but for putting together game plans that take advantage of player strengths, not taking decisive action when players are not developing (or maybe the issue is not recognizing when players are not developing), being able to outmaneuver the opposing offensive coaches, and for not being able to clean up field communications (or simply just bad defensive calls) that constantly caused people to be in the wrong places and allow opponents to score.

Until he proves me wrong, I consider him the coaching weak link.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    Fuller and Sutton have little to no risk, now that Sutton is at 290. Ego does have some risk, but not huge as many think; not when you here what his coaches and teammates tell you about him; he doesn't have a poor attitude and has a great work ethic, whatever his flaws are w/our coaching staff and his work ethic he'll be fine imo. Vareen has little risk, but only b/c he's a 4th round guy, if they didn't come w/risk they'd be drafted before the 4th.

You are correct though, at the end of the day they have to perform before the label is fully removed, right now though it's not hanging by much.
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,230 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    Well, I like the picks. I can't wait to see how they bring it on the field.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    Can I tell you I actually feel kinda sorry for Teddy B-side getting drafted by the Vikes b/c of what GB and Chi-Town did?

And I feel sorry for the rest of the div b/c this won't be a DL you can just rip 5ypc for anymore, and the CB's are still legit; although I'm a bit frightened about Megatron and Ebron both split out wide b/c I don't think Ebron will only be used as a TE.
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    268ß
    We didnt know how the offense was going to work out last year either.

That turned out OK.

Injurys did not plague the offense like they did the defense either.

Well ... except for the usual JCut going down.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +350 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    I was thinking the same thing about Teddy, I'm rooting for the dude but he's going to have a rough couple nights against this DL. I gotta feel like Peterson, Bush, and Lacy did not like this draft for Chicago one bit. Hell, they had to hate the entire off-season we just had. Damn near all of our guys graded very positive against the run, and the ones that didn't are going to be too busy ripping their QB's heads off for the RB's to be too joyous.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    569ß
    no doubt Chi66, I lol'd when someone pointed out the Bills played the Bears, i was like welcome to the league Sammy, you get to be guarded all night by 2 all pro CB's, and your QB is Fitzpatrick.
  16. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +350 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    That's like I think it was Julio Jones and his first game in the league was against us and we were smacking them around all day. I remember him getting hit hard on quite a few occasions and had a few drops. I think Sammy will be great, but when the first corner combo you face is Tillman and Jennings.. to take a line from Steve Smith.. Ice Up, Son.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    268ß
    Three of the UDFA's could be there on opening day.
  18. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +597 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    464ß
    Might see more of the half back option if Lynch makes it as a RB. Will freeze the defense and if they leave the receiver he can toss it down the field. ttttttttttttt
  19. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +597 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    464ß
    Might see more of the half back option if Lynch makes it as a RB. Will freeze the defense and if they leave the receiver he can toss it down the field. ttttttttttttt
  20. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +597 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    464ß