Consensus of 19 Mocks Say Bears 1st Pick Is?...............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 22, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Who was McShay's consensus pick the last 2 years? I bet it was not Shea and Long; I'm betting more along the lines of DeCastro and Te'O

• Like Like x 3
  2. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Hate to say it but this most likely means that the Bears will not get Donald at #14.

Mocks are wrong 99.9 percent of the time. As just one example, last year's drafts had us taking either a TE (Eifert) or a LB (Brown or Te'o)

#12 BelieveInMonsters, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  3. Grendel

Grendel
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

I believe Mel Kiper Jr had both going to us at one point or another in his mock process. McClellin and Long that is.

4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

He had us taking linebacker, Dont'a Hightower, in 2012. We passed on Hightower at #19 and the New England Patriots drafted him a few picks after we took Shea. Hightower led the Patriots in tackles this year. His 1st game as a rookie he returned a forced fumble for a TD. He's been pretty solid.

Shea? I figure if he doesn't fit at LB after losing the weight & moving from DL to LB, the Bears can always have him lose 40 more pounds and replace Conte next year. Get him down to 200 pounds or so and maybe the following year we can try him at CB. If that doesn't work then maybe he'll be ready for a try at "The Hester Package" :lol 027:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

If all else fails send him to Tampa. Love could use a #1 WR and Hester is elsewhere.

6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Yeah, Dont'a Hightower was the correct pick in 2012 and I remember alot of us here wanting him or DeCastro (who was also still there)

I'll hold off on judgement for now, well see how Shea does at LB.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

I am hoping we do not take Donald. I see him as high risk, sorry Soul, but that is my opinion. I give him all the credit in the world for what he accomplished and he has been awesome. Small pt he is approx. 2o pounds lighter than Atkins and he is maxed out. Might make a awesome MLB if he can cover but I may eat my words here but I see bust in NFL. Bigger faster linemen will counter his speed and I see high risk in Donald. JMHO. Below sums up how I see Donald, which implies a situational player, not an everydown starter which per all the other qualifiers of playing everydown to me disqualifies Donald as a RD 1 pick. If we take him I understand it and hope like hell I am wrong but that is JMHO.

upload_2014-4-22_20-33-39.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I think this is why Emery said he would prefer his DL big and athletic over just fast. I'd be happy w/Donald if they got him; but I don't think he's this dead lock at starting DL for the next 8 years either. I'd be much happier w/one of the top CB's or S's over the top DT this year.

• Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Aw................and I was trying so hard. :13 10 8[1]:

Who let the cat out of the bag?

10. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Well 9 out of 19 say we will so that's roughly half and the 5 say Jernigan so that's 14 out of 19 almost 3/4 of them who think it will be a DT. Personally I don't they're all that interested in Jernigan. Donald, Hageman or Pryor. One of those three. That where the best odds will be.

This seems like an appropriate time to make another comment seeing as how 17 out 19 (90%) believe it will be a DT. The argument against spending our first pick on a S vs a DT is actually pretty simple. Games are won in the trenches not in the defensive backfield. I didn't make it that was it just is.

In 2012 when our pass rush was strong no one worried much about Wright and Conte. Both seemed to be doing well and for intents and purposes it looked like we had two young Safeties who would resolve the revolving door of players we've had playing there over the past decade. Now onto 2103 and it was a disaster.

Take away the pass rush and the run stopping ability of the line and the LBs and bam. Wright is gone and Conte his being hung in effigy and persecuted for costing us the playoffs. That's wrong but a few will never be convinced of that. So reassemble a line that can rush the passer so he doesn't have 5 seconds to throw all time and tie down the running of the bad guys with better line and LB play and wow! We're right back to 2012 again when the two worst Safeties in the NFL looked OK. Not great mind you but still OK. You could win with them and we did.

There is no doubt in my mind that we need to add competition and upgrade in that area and Uncle Phil has already done that so he didn't need to prioritize a Safety and allow himself more flexibility in the draft. If the BPA at #14 is a S then I imagine he'll take him but I have my doubts that will be the case.

If anyone thinks that the Safety position on this team is more important than a pass rushing DT then I would claim that you don't know your team very well. It isn't and never has been. The Bears draft history will tell you that if your care to take the time to look. We've only drafted one S in the first round in the last 60 years (that's as far back as I went) or more but we've drafted a dozen of more DTs, DEs, and LBs. Those are what makes the Bears defense strong. Not Safeties.

#20 soulman, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014