Consensus of 19 Mocks Say Bears 1st Pick Is?...............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 22, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    Well ya' see I don't see him as a high risk pick at all and I think I covered the size thing pretty well already. Have you read it? If you had you'd see that Geno Atkins is 6'1 and plays at 293lbs and looking at him I'd say that about right. Donald is 6'1" and 285-288lbs. So Atkins is only 5-8lbs heavier than Donald not 20lbs. It's very easy to see how you might have concerns when you base them on misinformation.

The best pass rushing DTs in the last 30 years or so have all been 300lbs or less. Warren Sapp may have been the heaviest at 300lbs if he truly weighed that much early in his career. Most run in the 290-295lbs range. It's al about their quickness not their bulk. In fact too much bulk works against them as it eventually did with Sapp as he got older and heavier. Tommie Harris was 6'3" and 295lbs and Melton the same so these guys are roughly 5-10lbs more than Donald and who says he's maxed out? If he was 290lbs would that be any better. Stop looking at his size and look at the rest. He's one of the best pass rusher in this draft and he's a DT.

You can't go by the weight teams list guys at. The usually do list them as much as 10lbs heavier than they play at unless they're a tub of lard in which case they do the opposite. I can give you three examples of current Bears linemen whose listed weights aren't accurate. McClellin was listed at 260lbs and says himself he was never over 250lbs when he played. He even had trouble keeping that much on. Paea is listed at 300lbs and yet he said in 2012 he was playing around 292lbs. Houston is the biggest lie of all. He's listed at 300lbs and says he played last year at 275-280lbs which sounds more like it looking at him. He also said that's where he plan to be playing at this year which pegs in as a DE not a full time DT.

According to the prototypes of the day Mike Singletary at an even 6' and 230lbs when he came to the Bears seemed like a big risk for a MLB to be the heir apparent to the 6'3" 245lb Dick Butkus and yet they're both in the HOF. How about Zach Thomas? Another undersized MLB and London Fletcher. He's 5'9" and has been playing for 17 season weighing 225-230lbs. Size mean jack shit if the kid can play and he's already proven he can. He's beat the best he's come up against and I have no doubt he'll be a productive pro.
  2. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Just saw a mock in which, at 14, there was no Donald, HaHa, Pryor, Glibert... so we chose Hageman, he can be a beast, but he feels more like a 2nd round pick, although he would not last until our 2nd round pick. Im not sure if I would feel comfortable taking him, but he is Phil's type, and very much so. Hope he won't make a mistake this time, this is a very high pick for us.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,875 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    861ß
    Just about everyone on the board who posted anything about the draft?
  4. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    ugh... I hate to read about all those mocks and coulda woulda shoulda.

Emery is going to draft a player we need... let's just wait and see. I think we are going to trade down a few spots and take a DT and S with the first 2 picks
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    I see Atkins weight at 305, either way I see more value and starters by getting DT not in rd 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    two
    Your Wright and Conte example is a bad one. With a good defensive line they were mere mortals. With an injured defensive line...well, you know what happened there. No need to get into that.

If we actually had good Safeties, they may have been able to help our injured defensive line last year.

You already know my opinion on this. No reason to go around in circles again. I will say that I AM paying attention and because of that my opinion is this (in short):

We currently have enough depth on the defensive line RIGHT NOW. Safety is a far more pressing need than DT at this point. We need a Safety who can come in and start right away. We can build DT depth in the 2nd round or later.

The past is all fine and good but, in case you haven't noticed Emery and Trestman are ushering in a new era of Bears football and because of that the blackboard has been erased. Everything is different. What has happened in the last 60 years has no bearing. We've seen in the two short years that he has been on the job that Emery is his own man and he'll go his own way in free agency and the draft.

With that said, the current Bears have enough DL depth right now. Safety needs help from a starter-quality prospect right away. DL depth can and hopefully will be built in the later rounds.

Since you like the past so much we'll go back to when the Bears had a really good Safety. Mike Brown.

We all know what Brown meant to the Bears and the things he did. his best years were in 2001 and 2002. In those two years these were his defensive linemen. Not much to write home about were they? And yet Brown made a HUGE difference:

2001 Bears Defensive Linemen
    2002 Bears Defensive Linemen
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    991ß
    A good S regardless of the help in front of them should at least be able to take good angles, Conte/Wright couldn't even do that.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. mshu7

mshu7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Safety is definitely a more pressing need. Not drafting a DT in round 1 doesn't mean they can't get a good one in another round. Some people act like it's a one-round draft and if a DT isn't taken in that one round, they can't get one. Fortunately, there are 7 rounds. If they Bears choose to go outside of DT in round one, rest-assured, there are still opportunities to pick one up in the next few rounds after that.

At this point, I'd like to see them pick-up Pryor if he's there. The Bears have nothing at Safety right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I was really wanting Chandler Jones.... :(
  10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +682 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    807ß
    I agree. Whatever else happens in the draft, we MUST get a safety to replace Conte. The DL is okay now, and we can pick up another DL in the second round after we get Dix or Pryor in the first round. If both those guys are off the board at #14, then there's a problem and the choice is a lot tougher.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    +1

So many times they just looked "lost" out there. Clueless. Like they didn't "know" what they were supposed to do on certain plays (and I'm NOT talking about the Green Bay thing.....this was the whole stinking season).
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +63 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    I just feel that Emery likes athletes with size first. If this guy has any short coming in his physique I'd bet Emery goes another direction. He'll opt for the bigger and stronger guy regardless of personal stats..
    • Like Like x 2
  13. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +825 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    729ß
    I wonder what Phil's doing right now. Probably chillin in his office, reading all those articles and laughing his ass off.

Phil: "Okay now, let's focus, finish that beer and then call Mike Evans to let him know I'm serious about moving up and picking him."

[​IMG]
  14. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    But we just signed Josh Morgan haha
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Regarding Donald's size....

He officially came to the combine at 6'1 285. Thats the same height but 9lbs lighter than Atkins on his combine size. He put up an impressive 35 reps on bench, one more than Atkins. While his size is a concern I think that he can use his strength to provide pass rush from our 3 tech. What concerns I do have about Donald is in the run game. Most scouting reports on him note how he occasionally gets driven out of his gap by bigger stronger linemen in the run game. Doubles were able to open up some big lanes in college on him and he will have to get better at getting better leverage, or just hitting the ground in the pros. The level of competition in the pros is going to be much improved, so he may struggle at first in the run game. NFL guards may be able to exploit that lack of size and length in some power running schemes or plays. I think he will have a smooth transition in pass rush to the pros. I expect he will be able to get on the QB as advertised, the run game is what concerns me just a bit.

Bottom line: I think Donald is a good player who will be a solid to good pro. He is a great fit for our system and I would be happy taking him. With that said, he is not a can't miss prospect and like most in the class has flaws. If he makes it to us, he very well may be the pick but I don't think its a slam dunk like some think. There could possibly be other guys that at the very least make it a tough decision for Emery, but if he's the pick I surly will not be disappointed.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    991ß
    Grizz, my problem w/what you just said is that Emery wants Houston/Young/Allen on the field at the same time, at least part of the time, which seems to lead to the idea of Houston as DT on passing downs, so Donald would see the field even less if he is a weakness against the run which was a HUGE problem last year.
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I wasn't advocating for nor against Donald. Trying to provide neutral facts to add to the discussion from earlier. I really don't have a clear cut favorite in the first.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    That pretty much sums up how I feel about him too. That's a very even-handed description of him as a player.

I liked that it's not for/against but rather a good balance of the good, the bad - and there really is no ugly. Just not a slam dunk pick, but are there ever really any true slam dunks in the draft? Probably not.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    991ß
    Grizz, I knew you weren't advocating for him; I'm the same way, this is a rare draft where no matter which way they go at 14 they should get a good starting quality, non elite, talent. I have my preference b/c of how I feel abou the rest of the draft, but that's neither here nor there, I'll be anxious to see how Emery handles this draft.
  20. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    I think we all are waiting to see what Phil will do. But based on the last two years, it will likely be unexpected/unpredictable.

But then again, he could surprise us all and do a classic defensive BPA pick.

The only thing I am sure of is that there will be a whole lot of pissed off people here immediately after the draft.
    • Like Like x 2