considering becoming a bears fan.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Hircine, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Hircine

Hircine Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Here's the thing: I'm alreadyca bulls fan. I don't have a hockey team,but am considering following the black hawks due to the Chicago connection with the bulls (I know, different sports, but still.)

I honestly don't watch baseball. But might start,don't know.

I do,however,watch a ton of football. And I've had a rather rough time with previous teams. I've been through three teams bow,trying to find the team I can connect with. First was the rams,then the chargers,and most recently the cowboys. Rams I did because of one of my cousins,chargers because I really don't know, and the cowboys because if cousins on my dads side.

Really,I've never not had influence in teams. It was subconciously,of course. No one actually forced me to do anything.

So now im on a quest of self discovery to find my team. I admit that the bears didn't jump to mind until recently,but they are one of the most accomplished teams in NFL. And they do share the city of my fav. Basketball team. And so on.

So,i turn to you,bears faithful. Please educate me and give me your sell for the bears.

(Don't hit me,but the other team I am considering is the lions *duck*) :)
  2. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +912 / 3 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    206ß
    While I'm sure lots of folks can give you a long and convincing list of reasons, I only have these two things to say.

1)Which team you are a fan of is a consequence of who you watch, even when they play poorly. Otherwise, you are a fan of the fad team.

2)Chicago is the oldest team in the league and first champion. The rest of the story is filled with ups and downs that make for great dinner table fodder. Still, you never forget your (the league's) first.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hircine

Hircine Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yeah. I'm just trying to keep a open,clear mind. I didn't really watch any one particular team over the other. I obviously I watched the team I was rooting for at the time. But I was never drawn to one by just naturally watching one team over the other think.
  4. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +912 / 3 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    206ß
    How about this? More Bears are members of the Hall of Fame than any other team.
  5. Hircine

Hircine Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Is it normal to become a fan because of the past,though. I do admire their history. And it is a team to be proud of because of all the greats.
  6. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +912 / 3 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    206ß
    I'm not sure what is normal. For me, I became a fan of the team because of a family member getting me to watch, then being mesmerized by Walter Payton. I didn't want to talk about the present, because I assumed you (like everyone) have access to ESPN, NFLN, Fox Sports 1, etc. Why tell you about things you can see for yourself. My take was to tell you what may not have been obvious.

I do think history has influence on a fan base. Geography has influence on a fan base. TV broadcasts have influence. Off the field issues with players has influence.

Whatever floats your boat.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,767 / 9 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    123ß
    I picked my soccer team because it was one of the two teams on a FIFA game demo I played...how or who you pick is not important, staying with that pick is what matters...something you clearly need to work on...

I am as loyal to Chelsea FA as anyone born in the shadow of Stamford Bridge...
    • Like Like x 5
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    If you enjoy on certain occasions wearing a paper bag on your head they would be my pick.
  9. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,977 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    Technically, that honor rests with the Akron Pros:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_champions_(1920–69)
  10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,977 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    This is a good a time as any to become a new Bears fan, we have a brand new HC, a new GM, and we will be experiencing a roster turnover as we replace our aging vets. So...the team itself is becoming "new" as well, so you can identify more easily with the team (for example: some long time fans were upset about how the Brian Urlacher situation was handled, whereas you do not have this issue).

And ask yourself this question: how do the colors green and yellow make you feel?
  11. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    [​IMG]

Siri-usly, that was not directed at you Hircine. (I'm not Bryan either, again: sorry Bryan).

Now, now.

Chicago is a popular team to follow (even Adam Rank with NFL Network was swayed over by popular opinion this year). You'll run into superfans pretty much anywhere you can watch football.

Depending on where you live, you will most likely get more chances to see them play without paying extra also... Bears aren't exactly the Dallas Cowboys because of that Turkey Day stuff (incl. the Lions) and the Hall of Fame Preseason Game BUT even this year the Bears are one of the eight teams that enjoy five prime time games on the schedule.

As mentioned earlier, the Bears have also started a new chapter in the history of the franchise, second year GM, new HC, and staff. I came over with Emery so I'm not really one to give you much advice on where to set your anchor. I've enjoyed the ride so far.

As green as I am though, I can give you the unquestioned number one reason on why you should consider becoming a Bears fan:

You get to root against the Green Bay Packers at least twice a year! I respect Rodgers and Matthews as much as anyone (some might even consider them "frienemies" *gasp*), but Siri-usly, what more could you ask for?
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    The Bears experience is like no other fan experience. And right now they have an incredible NEW page being written in a long, legendary history. We have a GM, Phil Emery, who seems brilliant at player selection (not just in the draft). We have a new coach who seems to be a guy who can make for exciting future. This initial year, many of us thought we'd have a rough season with so many changes. But we have had a really solid 3-1 start.

Have you ever been to a Bears game at Soldier Field? I love it there. Real grass. Games played out in the weather. There's nothing like watching a Bears/Green Bay game at Soldier Field, while the snow is flying there. It's as close to Heaven as a Bears fan can get on this earth. None of this dome crap. Football like it's been played in Chicago for 90+ years. Before that we played at Wrigley Field. There have been so many legends of the game, and 9 NFL Championship Bears teams over the years. With Emery and Trestman here now, I expect we'll see that number grow over the next few years.

The Bears have the highest win percentage in NFL history. They have the most regular season wins in NFL history. They have the most games won, including playoffs in the total, in NFL history.

The Bears have the most players in the NFL Hall of Fame. In fact they run out of uniform numbers at training camp each year, due to so many #'s having been retired. Too many team and NFL legends. A good problem to have.

Speaking of training camp, it is one of the best experiences of any NFL team. Our is free each year at a BEAUTIFUL location at Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais, Illinois. They have four football fields there in one area that you can oversee from a beautiful grassy hill that overlooks the action. The players are VERY friendly there. My son has autographed pics of his favorite Bears on the walls of his bedroom. He's met all of the great ones there over the years - since he was a little boy. I respect the Bears for keeping it free there. They even have a "Family Night" at Soldier Field each August with family events.

Chicago is a really cool place to come to see a game too. I don't know where you are from, but visiting Chicago is special. Go to Ditka's restaurant and Da Coach will take care of your hunger needs just fine :-)

We have the "Super Fans" too.

And we have this great messageboard too. Seriously. Compare it with other team's MB's and you realize that this is a solid place here.

Good luck in choosing a team :-)
  13. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Which you should root for the Bears?
    Because it has a rich history.
    Awesome uniforms
    Awesome sportcity.
    Because the team (atleast in Denmark) isn't mainstream.
    Because they are on the brink to enter a new era(I hope!!)
  14. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    What draws you to the team?
    Normally people are drawn in because of a location, a certain player, Family or some other reason.

If you do not have some sort of strong draw or connection to the team you will be looking for another as soon as the season starts to go south.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I believe this thread is useless and there is nothing more absurd than trying to convice someone to be a fan of something, its a feeling - it is there or isnt. my opinion.
    • Like Like x 5
  16. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    mdbearz is 100% spot on. That doesn't mean you can't develop that connection over time, but honestly, If I didn't live in Illinois (or nearby), and I was not indoctrinated into the orange and blue at a very young age, I really don't know that I would pick them. I don't know that I wouldn't either, but when it is a part of who you are and it has been for as long as you can remember, it's hard to pinpoint what makes you a fan of a particular team. I'm old enough to remember some of the greats (Dick Butkus, Doug Buffone, Ed Obradovich, Walter Payton, Dan Hampton, the names go on and on) and all the glory of the 80's Bears teams. As a fan, you can't turn your back on that kind of legacy. However, I also remember the heartbreak of the 70's when Bobby Douglass ran for more yards than he passed, and then all the Mike McCaskey era with Dave Wansteadt, Dick Jauron, etc.

Whomever you pick, and the Bears would be a better choice than most, do it and stick with them. If the Rams were your first choice, perhaps you would be best to go back to them, kind of like the old test taking strategy; your first guess is usually the right answer. Going through the years of occasional misery will only sweeten the glory years when they come around. It sounds like you've already been through several teams. Find one and stay put, no real fans I know like bandwagoners, and those of us that are old enough to remember, recall how many we had in 1985. Fans were coming out of the woodwork and us old-timers were using history history quizzes to identify one another. If you didn't even know who Bob Avellini was, we didn't even talk. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  17. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I have no connection with Illinois, except for being a Bulls fan for 20y now. In the mid '90 I started watching nfl on satellite and it was 49, cowboys and bills all the time... but i couldnt connect. when i saw my first Bears game online some 12y ago I was hooked, that was it for me
    • Like Like x 1
  18. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    I hope you can handle your booze, because this team will drive you to drink.

Of course the Lions will drive you to alcohol poisoning, so if you had to pick a team, you'd could do worse than the Bears.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,625 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    The Bears had Walter Payton

/Thread
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Hircine

Hircine Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I admit it felt kinda weird trying on different bears hats at the mall today. Just wanted to look at some merch :) I don't know,I think I was considering the lions just because they seemed like a team no one lied and I thought there logo was cool :P Not much of a reason to be a fan.