Conte; For Some This May Be Good News.................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 3, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,389 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    807ß
    I know. Maybe after this surgery Conte will be a solid player for us. I've calmed down a bit after being in a bit of shock over our defense this past season. Lately I've been thinking that Conte is still very young - he just turned 25 years old a few weeks ago. I know he had a rough year, but I'm still hoping Conte can be a decent safety. And he could be. I'm not saying the guy is a stud or a bust, but he could still be decent for us.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    It's completely in vogue right now for everyone and their brother to hate on Conte. And I admit he's earned some, not all, of it. Everything I've read however indicates to me that team hasn't given up on him yet and he's going to be given an opportunity to make the roster and maybe even fight for a starting spot. Obviously that all depends upon him being medically ready which may or may not happen.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    It's all about the emotions of losing that game to GB and a playoff shot. That one they remember like it was yesterday but they conveniently forget the pick he made earlier that saved a sure TD. Rodger thought he could slide one in there but Conte came off his man as the throw was made and made a nice diving pick to stop the drive. There was good and bad in him and no one should be judged too harshly on that abomination last year as long as they put in the effort. Shoot our prize rookies LBs played just as bad or worse but no one is screaming for their butts. If they been able to tackle a few more people maybe he wouldn't have had to.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    I think its a good point to remember that if your FS has to make 90+ tackles like CC did last year then your DL and your whole front 7 isn't getting the job done. Regardless of whether your FS is good or not, that says your front 7 was a total sieve, which ours undoubtedly was most of last season.

As far as the "emotions" go, I was at that game and walked out with 60,000 other pissed off disappointed fans. Putting aside the raw feelings at that time (which few then wanted to do), the loss was meaningless in the grand scheme of things. We weren't going ANYWHERE had we made the playoffs. It merely would have delayed the inevitable by one week had we squeaked out the win. And we would would be picking in the 20s right now rather than at 14. And playing Seattle & Philly this coming season rather than SF & Dallas. As much as beating GB twice in one season would have temporarily been satisfying, I'm kinda glad we didn't cuz it would have cost more than it was worth.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    Exactly. We'd have been embarrassed in the first round and no we get to leapfrog all the other 8-8 teams for that #14 pick and it's agreat spot to be in. We win the GB game and we pick #21 like they are and don't get a shot at the top guys at any position. Aside from the embarrassment it meant very little in the scheme of the 2013 season but it may help the 2014 season if we draft right.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +685 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    823ß
    I've been watching some clips of Calvin Pryor. Damn he can hit! But the way the rules are in the NFL now, he could get a lot of fines and penalties on hits that were perfectly clean 20 year ago -- and in my opinion -- should still be clean today. Anyway, I like the guy. 6-2 and 207 lbs. with attitude. Draft him.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    OK, anything to get Conte gone huh? Pryor may be a good pick but if he is the guy Emery takes that would be surprise to me since he'd be just the second FS the Bears have ever used a 1st round pick on in my lifetime and that goes back aways. Carrier was the last one and that was 24 years ago. Of course maybe the cycle is coming around again.
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    You can get the same type player in Buchannon in the 2nd maybe even the 3rd. Pass on Pryor, he's not worth the 14 pick IMO.
  9. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +685 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    823ß
    Hey, I'm drafting safeties in first AND second round. We need two of them, don't we? And right now we have zero.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    Good luck with that prediction my friend. No way that happens. One or the other sure but not both. We have way bigger draft needs than a S in both the first two rounds.
  11. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +685 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    823ß
    You're probably right. Smart money is on another DL. So long as they take one safety in the first two rounds to replace Conte, I'm OK with it. I don't think it would be bad to take two safeties, though.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    Well let's see we signed four free agents, Steltz, Mundy, Jennings, and McCray and according to their NFL bios they all play Safety. Do you have problems with basic math or just not follow the team much?
  13. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +685 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    823ß
    I agree with this guy...

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-b...le-draft-notebook-a-look-at-safety-prospects/

I don't want to start next season with two "fringe starters" and a couple special teams guys in our depth chart at safety. Calling Conte a "fringe starter" is generous. Not many NFL teams would start him. That is where we were last year. I want to draft at least one blue-chip safety. If some high quality DL drops into 14th, then maybe take DL in first round and safety in second round. But if they go much deeper than that without drafting a safety, then we have a problem IMO.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    I can see that and I hate to burst your bubble but Mundy was signed to start at SS. Just because the author of that piece, another guy just like you or me, thinks he's a fringe player doesn't make him one. He couldn't even get his position right other than to say that he's more of a SS, duh. Since that's what he was signed to play unless we draft a guy whose better at SS and it moves him to FS that's where he'll probably play.

I'll stick with the evaluations of Emery and his pro scouting bunch who say Mundy is an upgrade over Wright. I would agree that the others are primarily backups and STeam guys but all have had some starting experience as well so that give them a bit of an edge over most rookies. Anyway that's still more than zero Safeties since even Steltz has started for us before. He's not a great coverage guy but he doesn't miss many tackles either.

We need A, a in one, Safety somewhere in the first three rounds. I wouldn't swear that it won't be in one and I can live with that but if past history serves the likelihood isn't high. Since Pryor and Dix rate as the two best and the next group doesn't even merit taking until the second or third rounds there's a 50/50 chance both will be gone before we pick. Detoilet and St. Loo are both looking for Safety help too.

I would love to see them get Jimmy Ward in two and I could live with either Dix or Pryor in one. Part of the problem is that most of the 2nd tier guys have some holes in their game. The reason I like Ward is that although smaller he has the least holes in his game. His foot surgery is a concern too although that may be enough to drop him to us in the 2nd. I don't disagree with the need for another Safety but the only "blue chip" ones in this draft are Dix and Pryor and in comparison to some of the past first rounders they're more light blue than dark blue.
  15. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +685 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    823ß
    I don't think it is much of a stretch to call Mundy a "fringe starter," since he was a backup at Pittsburgh and Giants. But we'll see how it goes. Hard to imagine he could be much worse than Wright last season. So I will tentatively call that an upgrade. 0.5

That still leave the Conte problem. No matter what else happens, I can't call 2014 a successful draft if they don't get a replacement for Conte.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    In 2005 the Bears went to the Super Bowl and the highest drafted staring Safety was Mike Bown (2nd) and he missed the end of the season with an injury. The other was Chris Harris who was a 6th round pick. Of the rest the highest picked was Todd Johnson (4th) and the rest were either 7th round picks or UDFAs.

We won games on the strength of our DL and LB play and 13 picks by our CBs, Tillman and Vasher. Even the 1985 Bears team did not boast two Safeties who were blue chip draftees. Fencik was a converted WR we signed as a FA and Duerson was a 3rd round pick. How well would they have done playing behind a different front 7?

As long as we use that #14 pick and a kid who can start I'm down with whoever we take and I'd be thrilled if we could find another starter in two because we should. DT and Safety are our two biggest immediate needs followed CB and MLB. The first four picks should do their best to address those needs.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,869 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    Mundy also played behind two pair of top Safeties with Pro Bowls to their name. Think of him as this years Matt Slauson. He could be a real bargain of he could be a bust but when given the opportunity to start last year he did well. Wright was terrible last year but even he's getting some love from Lovie who must believe there's something there that can be saved.

Conte is out of the picture for now so I'm gonna table all discussion about him until he's back. Then we'll see what happens. In the meantime I'll continue to defend him against the over emotional bunch who only sees that one last play as a reason for signing his death warrant. It's more convenient to remember that one and the pick that slipped through his hands just prior to that (he didn't blow that coverage , he just didn't hold onto the ball) than it is the pick he got in the end zone that saved a sure TD early in the game.

He had some good plays and some bad plays just like everyone else but when your FS has to make 90 tackles someone else playing in front of him is playing a whole lot worse than he is and they aren't being hung in effigy like Conte is.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    Again, I can't help but wonder if some of these irrational impressions are the result of Conte-hate-syndrome.

David, the most likely and reasonable outcome is that we will draft ONE safety within the first 3 rounds (somewhere). I'd be really surprised if Mundy isn't a starter come week 1. And it wouldn't shock me if Conte is in the mix too pending his medical situation. We aren't going to draft TWO STARTING SAFETIES next month. If you think or want that, you are bound to be disappointed.

DLs and pass rushers win games for you much more frequently than safeties do IMHO. If we had had a competent front 7 last season, I doubt people would be screaming for Conte's head like they are.
  19. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Soul is correct, you don't need great safeties to win. Football games are won up front generally speaking. Seattle kind of went the opposite way, but they have some damn good lineman as well. Look at the Giants, their safety play wasn't great when the won the Super Bowl in 08, and it was slightly better in 11. Hell even their linebacker play was suspect. What did they have though? They had ONE HELL OF A DEFENSIVE LINE!! A d line that could get after the QB and create havoc in the backfield. That's where you win games and make the players around you better. I'm drafting a defensive lineman in the first, unless a corner like Gilbert slips to 14. I'm not taking a safety in round one because I don't need to!
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,991 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,008ß
    Indy had a damn good S when they won or was he a cb? either way it takes a complete team to win, great DL's can mask average S play better then vice versa, but I don't think that means you ignore any position.

this talk reminds me a few years ago when everyone said you don't need great RB's to win a SB, last year and the year before, had great rb's on both teams. No position can be taken for granted, minus punter and even those cannot be completely ignored or you endup w/a guy like Pudless.