Conte; For Some This May Be Good News.................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 3, 2014.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +676 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    787ß
    I generally agree. Defense begins with your front-4 getting a good pass rush. If you don't have that, you are screwed. So I have no objection to adding another DL at #14. BUT we do need a safety to replace Conte, and I'd like to get a good one like Pryor. To me, if Pryor or Dix are still on the board at #14, then it comes down to whether any remaining DL is really so hot that it causes me to take a pass on these guys and hope to get a starter-quality safety in the second round. Can't make that call until draft day. I do not expect them to draft two safeties, but what I said is that I would not be disappointed if they did that, if they got two good ones. In any case, at a minimum, we need at least one to replace Conte.

I don't know whether Conte falsely believed he had support on the TD pass in the GB game, or did he screw up by himself. Somebody did, that's for sure. But I base my assessment of him on the whole season. He wasn't the only guy who played poorly. In earlier years, no way he would get 90 tackles because Urlacher and Briggs tackled anybody who got past the front 4. Our whole front 7 was pathetic on run defense. Having said that, I fault Conte for his failure to cover the deep sideline passes. That went on all year. And on runs, he often took bad angles and blew tackles. The Reggie Bush runs stand out in my mind.
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,206 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    Everyone on D--and I mean EVERYONE except Tim Jennings--either sucked, got hurt, or both last year. Including Conte in the "suck" category. Here's how I'd put it for the key guys who sucked or both sucked & got hurt:

Melton
    Small sample size since he was injured early in the season, but HM really didn't look very good those 1st 3 games. No interior pass rush at all. Since he was a FA and coming off ACL surgery, I wanted him gone knowing he was going to want more $ than he's worth risking on an injured guy who doesn't seem to have the best work ethic. No loss as Rat, Collins (hopefully if recovered), and draft help should fill his shoes.

Peppers
    Looked old, lazy, or both. Didn't surprise anyone to see him get cut given his huge contract. Got a younger player who's a better pass rusher at this stage and has a higher motor in Allen.

Wright
    FA and was still un-signed until very recently when Lovie & Tampa picked him up. Enough said...

Anderson
    FA and still un-signed I believe. Speaks for itself.

Shea
    Bust as a DE. If he wasn't a 1st rounder with 2 years left on his contract, he'd be released. Because he is and because maybe he can be salvageable playing the position he should have been playing all along, he gets another chance. I'll label him "worth keeping for now".

Conte
    Had a decent sophomore season and then fell off a cliff last year. Yes, he struggled mightily and had his share of miscues. He also was put in an impossible position by a front 7 and a SS that couldn't stop any RBs whatsoever and generated very little pass rush. If he were a FA, he'd be an automatic bye-bye. But he's got one year left on his rookie (cheap) deal to prove himself so he's worth keeping around as competition/depth. He does have 40 starts under his belt. Call him "potentially salvageable".
    • Like Like x 2
  3. DavidL

Ratings:
    +676 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    787ß
    Keep him on the roster to finish out his contract, but bench him and use sparingly on the field. All these Bears are personally responsible for their individual poor performances last season.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    Of course they are. I agree with you 100% and I don't think anyone, including Conte himself, would disagree. If you look at that pic of him walking off the field after that GB game he looks like a man about to attend his own funeral. Even though he wasn't 100% responsible for that TD catch he's accepting it like it was. He's said as much in post game interviews but even the coaches know that it wasn't. It's pretty much just the uniformed public who do think it was all his fault. That's pretty typical even though they don't really know the game well enough to make that judgment. I'll also bet that half of them are being swayed by Hawk Harrelson's know nothing commentary on it. There's just one more guy who knows jack shit about football and should have kept his mouth shut until he learned more about it but he didn't and that it so typical of him that I'm not at all shocked by it.

As for his performance in 2013 vs 2012 his numbers are very close to the same as far as pass defense goes. He had two less PDs (9 vs 7) but one more pick (3 vs 2), including a TD saver earlier in the GB game, but where things are really out of whack are his tackles. 2013 = 90 vs only 68 in 2012. That's a lot and just how much that may have affected his pass defense at times or even his run support we won't know but I think it's safe to say that it had an impact because others who follow the team and pro football have commented on it. As for his repeated failures to cover deep sideline passes there are some exceptions to that too.

If the Bears are in a Cover-2 then each Safety is responsible for his half of the field bisected vertically. Conte backs one WR and Wright the other. To accurately determine which plays were blow assignments on his part you'd need to know what that assignment was. If he normally covered the deep right behind Tillman then the deep left was his secondary assignment and if Wright bit on a play fake or a curl route in front of him and didn't get back into his place behind Jennings then that's on him not Conte. It may have looked like Conte was late in arriving but then he would be because he was covering for Wrights error not his own.

I'm not saying he didn't blow some plays but until someone watches the actual game film a few times the true errors don't always pop out at you just like the blown coverage on that TD pass in the GB game. Once the coaches do that they can score the players fairly on how well they carried out THEIR role and throughout the year Conte was grading out fairly high in the coaches minds. If he wasn't then contract or not I assume he'd be gone and we'd have signed someone to replace him already. And as for missing a tackle on Reggie Bush all I can say is far better than Conte have done the same. Bush is still one of the best open field runners in the game.

Once he's recovered from his surgery he'll get his shot at keeping his job, or win it back however you want to look at it. They won't bench him if he's the best man for the job just because of his 2013 performance. One other thing and then I'll end this novel. Emery had all kinds of opportunities to sign a "blue chip" FA Safety this past month but he didn't. He signed DLinemen instead. To me that's a pretty good indication of two things; 1) He doesn't feel Conte's career is beyond repair, and 2) He values DLinemen far more than he does "blue chip" Safeties in this defense. Those two factors should say a lot about his intentions as far as the draft goes. Undoubtedly he'll draft a Safety, or even two, but there's a very good chance he won't spend a 1st round pick on one. Just trying to read the tea leaves is all.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    Bob Sanders. He was very good...couldn't stay healthy. He only played in 4 games that year. Their safeAs Safeties that game were bethea and Merlin Jackson. They're starting corners were nick Harper and Jason David. I think only 1 of those guys is still in the league. Their front 7 was DAMN good though. I'm not saying you ignore a position, I'm saying you build the front 7 first. You can get away with JAG's(just another guy for those wondering) at the safety spot, just like you can get away with a jag at the ro spot if you have great QB and receivers...kind of like that colts team.
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    You realize we only ran actual cover 2 pass coverage a small amount of time.
  7. DavidL

Ratings:
    +676 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    787ß
    Yes, and I know that about 100% of the time when we did and somebody beat Jennings or Tillman down the sidelines, Conte was late getting over there. Don't get me started!
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    Did Jennings or Tillman have a flat threat? Cause if not they're supposed to stay with the deep threat? Did Conte have a Threat to his seam? There's more to it than you're making out and I think you're being a little over emotional. I'll take the coaches grade that they come to from watching game film and knowing the actual call over what I see on tv and what you think you know...no offense.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß

Well then you seem to know a whole lot more than I know and probably more than the coaches too and I can't compete with such superior intellect.

David this is getting to be a circular debate. You remind me of ex-wife whose operational system is; "don't confuse me with the facts, my mind's made up". So to paraphrase Fleetwood Mac; "You Can Go Your Own Way".

:3 8 13[1]: I'm outta this one.
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +723 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    684ß
    My concern is if you do not take a S in the first 2 rounds, (Dix, Pryor, Joyner, Buchannon, and Ward) may all be gone before we pick again in rd 3. Is Dixon, Bailey, Ed Reed, or possibly Jaylen Watkins ( use to play S before CB) really worth a draft pick and better than McCray, Steltz, Jennings, etc. There is higher value on the board at other positions so I am more inclined to believe rd 2 or some small school guy none of us know of later in the draft.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,206 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    I'll go out on a limb here an predict that we WILL draft a S within the first two rounds. Think that's not exactly a Nostradamus type forecast.
    • Like Like x 4
  12. DavidL

Ratings:
    +676 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    787ß
    If we don't take a safety in the first couple rounds, I think it says Emery is satisfied to have Conte as a starter again.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DavidL

Ratings:
    +676 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    787ß
    All I know is what I see with my lyin' eyes. They see TD passes being caught with Conte about two steps away.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,206 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    If your buddy CornWash had sacked the damn QB there wouldn't have been a TD pass for Conte to get beat on!

Just kidding around, David. Relax, Emery is going to draft a S high up if the value is there and maybe another in the latter rounds. It will be ok.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    Just because he was two steps away doesn't mean it was his fault all the time. You don't know the play call or the responsibilities.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,530 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    If he wore these, he would not be two steps away.
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  17. DavidL

Ratings:
    +676 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    787ß
    Whatever the call is, I expect a decent safety to break up at least some passes during the season instead of get there late or lay back and not at all challenge the receiver catching the ball. I am out here near Seattle, and I can't help but to compare Conte to the Hawks DB's. They challenge receivers right in their faces when they are trying to catch the ball. Be honest, how many times did you see Conte do that? They were few and far between. You can go on making excuses for him. He sucks.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    You're comparing apples and oranges. Two different schemes with two different types of players. By the way he had 7 passes defenses last year, which by the way is 2 less than earl Thomas and 1 more than kam chancellor. Facts always beat emotions.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    Make it four for LIKES. We seem to like Safeties in the third where some drop to who get passed over for other positions but the kid I'd like to get, Jimmie Ward, isn't likely to last that long. My problem might be that if Ward isn't there are there any others who are worth a 2nd round pick vs a better player at another spot? CB and MLB should fit in here somewhere too. There isn't much doubt we'll draft one but who and where may be the question and also whether it will be more the SS type if they believe Mundy is interchangeable. As it stands he was signed to play SS but that could change now that Conte is out for a bit and dependent on who we draft.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    Wow, if the rumors are true he must have a really large pe.......er big toe then!