Conte; For Some This May Be Good News.................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 3, 2014.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,617 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    659ß
    I asked this question about Mundy (SS or FS?) when he was first signed because I don't know his game all that well. From what I've read and been told he's versatile enough to play either. And in Cover-2 they're pretty interchangeable as you've stated. In cover-1 not so much. Anyway, if he's reasonably versatile enough to play either that helps a lot.

We have to draft a S (either subtype) within the first 3 rounds for sure, think that's a safe statement. Just get the best one you can because we could use a boost at either SS or Free. An upgrade at either is possible. You like Ward, I like Buchannon...yada yada. We just gotta find somebody in the 2nd-3rd who's a solid prospect unless of course Phil goes for Ha-Ha or Pryor up top. The main reason I favor prioritizing DT over S in the 1st is that you can buy decent safeties in FA a lot easier and cheaper than you can 3tech DTs who can rush the passer and disrupt in the backfield. So you can backfill holes or patch draft misses more readily.

That all being said, if Phil wants to go S over DT in 1 I'll trust his judgement there. Between Pryor, Dix, and Donald, ONE of those three at least should still be on the board at 14.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    That's the key. Is there a Safety on the board worth that pick? Whether it's first or second, or third of fourth I don't see him pushing athleticism over football skills quite as much as he has in the past. There seem to be a couple of CBs who might rank higher than the FS prospects after round two who might actually make good FS but that experiment has been less than totally successful so far so will he even try it again?

I don't want to say that Safeties are a dime a dozen but each draft seems to have one or two who standout and the rest you could practically toss names into a hat and take one and he'd be no better or worse than the others in general. Sometimes it all comes down to finding the right fit and that isn't always the higher ranked guy. We've done alright is the past even with guys taken in the later rounds so we may take more than one. It just depends on how it all breaks but I can't see Emery forcing the issue.
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    When he was signed it was said to be as a starter at SS with Conte competing with whoever at FS. Now who knows. Mundy says he cam play either but I'd expect him to say that. When have we ever heard a player say he could only play LG or RG, or LCB or RCB and so on. It seems to me they all claim versatility but the truth may be entirely different.

You make a good point relative to the pay structure of a DT vs a Safety too. On average it costs far more to hunt down a pass rushing DT in FA than it does a Safety especially if you aren't looking far a Jarius Byrd. Mundy got a two year deal that averages $1.5 mil per year. The #14 pick in this draft will average about $2.5 mil per year. FWIW the Bears just allot fewer $$$ to Safeties than most NFL teams.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +2,777 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,450ß
    rumor has it that he needs to keep it in a striped yellow and blue sock
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +769 / 7 / -25
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,311ß
    Apples to oranges? From a guy comparing stats from safeties on the best defense in the NFL to safety on one of the worst.

Conte had 90 tackles, because he had lots of opportunity. He had 7 pass defenses for the same reason. Conversely, Earl Thomas didn't have so many chances to break up passes, because the Seahawks were giving hell to the opposing QB and the corners were covering receivers like a blanket. Even at that, I wonder where Conte's 7 ranks him among NFL starting safeties. I'd guess close to the bottom. He sucks.
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,192 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,138ß
    I'm not the one who brought up passes defensed, and the Seahawks....you did. You don't like the facts that's your problem. As for where it puts him...well he had 1 more than Tillman and 1 more than Jarius Byrd who last I checked got paid pretty good. I'm not saying he is either one of those guys, but he doesn't suck, and based on your knowledge of the game, I'll take my assumption over yours. He's middle of the pack in the pass defensed area.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,457 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,478ß
    I'm so tired of the Bears drafting (& FA signing) a small army of crappy safeties over the years. They come. They stink. They go. It's become like the OL woes we had prior to last year. I'd like to finally get it solved. If Conte comes back and performs well, then I'm happy. We still need one more guy though. Conte coming back strong would make Emery's job easier though.
  8. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +769 / 7 / -25
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,311ß
    I calculated the averages of the top 63 safeties, and you are statistically correct. I guess that proves I remember Conte's major screw-ups that resulted in TD's more than I remember his 7 pass defenses. I am probably not alone among Bears fans in that regard.
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,777 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,450ß
    Does this mean Conte doesn't suck any more? First we can't make fun of Webb any more.... Then Tice leaves.... Now we can't get down on Conte.... We need some other inept players to joke about. Where is JA's recruiting ability when you need it?
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,457 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,478ß
    LOL, you're right. If Emery keeps going strong we'll be screwed for messageboard comedy relief. But, it's a good problem to have :-)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Oh I'm not gonna touch that one with a ten inch ...... I mean a ten FOOT pole.
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,777 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,450ß
    [QUOTE="soulman, post: 49032, member: 35" a ten inch ...... I mean a ten FOOT pole.[/QUOTE]

some of us are just luckier than others.... sigh....
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Be that as it may in the last month he spent about $10.5 mil (2014 cap) on four DEs with nary a sniff in the direction of Byrd or Ward so that says a lot about which hand he usually hold is cards in. I looked deeper into some numbers on Spotrac and historically the Bears have been one of the NFLs lowest spender's on the Safety position. Even though it averages as the second lowest paid position on any NFL team the Bears have typically spent even less than the average amount on their Safeties.

He's gonna draft and sign some Safeties but I wouldn't take the odds on it being his first pick unless Dix falls in his lap and if Donald is there I still think he takes the DT and blows off Safety until later on. If they don't have time to get off a pass very often we can live with less than blue chippers back there. Who knows. Mundy could become this years Slauson and win himself a lottery longer term deal. You gotta thin after playing backup for short money his whole career that he's motivated as all hell to do that.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,777 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,450ß
    I agree with all of it except the part about Mundy. There is about as much chance of that as me sprouting a third armpit. And just thinking about the extra tailoring costs is a downer.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    OK, have an idea. I'll try to become the fan who wins the contest to earn the right to announce the 4th round pick. No matter whose name they send up I'll find the lowest rated player I can and announce his name instead. Then we'll have our guy. Mr. Undependable. Even the back of his jersey just says MR. U where his last name would go and we give him number 00. He can even have his own fan club like Webb does.......or did. LOL
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    It could happen. Ya' never know. The third armpit I mean. I was in a men's clothier just yesterday and they told me the tailoring costs were actually very reasonable. The guy gave me his card so I'll call him back and have him let me know if any three arm suits come in. Do you prefer the English styling or Italian?
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,617 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    659ß
    JABF, with all due respect my friend I recall not all that long ago you bitching left and right about how the OL sucked and that large investments needed to be made there and that those investments were well worth it because the OL was a foundation that paid huge dividends, yada yada yada. Remember that????

I sure do. And I'm not saying you didn't have some very valid points there. You did. We all saw it. Well, Emery has shored up the OL better in 18 short months than I would have ever dreamed possible. I'm sure you would agree. But then, just as that was happening, the DL utterly collapsed due to age/injury/etc. We all saw that result too.

The last couple months we have seen Emery's "Marshall Plan" (to use an historical analogy) to resurrect the DL. He has devoted the lion's share of FA resources to the DL and I'm confident another addition or two is coming in the draft. I'm sure you would agree that the DL is the foundation of the D just as the OL is the foundation of the O. If either line is cracking badly, the entire unit in that side of the ball comes crashing down. I happen to agree with this priority strategy and you probably do too when looking at it logically.

True, the Bears S corps has been a revolving door for quite a while and there hasn't been a true standout there since Mike Brown. But....you're never gonna have pro bowlers at every position (didn't even happen with the '85 team) nor be able to devote "high priority resources" everywhere at the same time. You "patch" the lower priority areas while getting the foundations solidified. That's how I see what's going on now. Let's be realistic about how much Emery can do in one offseason. I'm amazed by how much he's accomplished already.
  18. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,777 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,450ß
    Definitely going to depend on where I sprout that third arm. If it is in the groin are, I'm going with Italian.
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,777 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,450ß
    I like it. We'll just tweak it a bit. No matter whose name is on the card, you say that the Bears pick Donald, even if he's already been picked. We'll iron it out later.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Good idea, they allow for such things being as how Italian men always think they need a bit more space there. Now if you go with British they just ask if you dress right or left and only allow more on that side. It's the proper way you know.