Conte; For Some This May Be Good News.................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Apr 3, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,375 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß
    Well even if he has there's still his brother, his other brother, Dad, Uncle Bob, cousin Eddy and his sis. And if they're ALL taken there's always his Aunt Butch the TE. You know the one whose married to Uncle Bob. They do a Deliverance thing on banjo and guitar too and they're a hoot at family reunions. I think either would be happy just to get a small signing bonus to pay for the rest of Aunty Butch's sex change operation. The custom dick she ordered is running quite a bit more than they planned on.
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    I think that's proves how emotional you are about the topic. I still don't know how you know he screwed up on coverages without actually knowing what the coverages being called and having knowledge of the play book. All you're really doing is guessing based on the limited view the tv gives you.
  3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +592 / 4 / -16
    ßearz ßuckz:
    183ß
    You can explain away some of his screw-ups by coverages I suppose, but I saw him bite on run fakes which made him too late to get his ass back to where he was supposed to be to help on the deep TD pass. That is not coverage, it's just not taking care of business. His mistakes are more memorable than a DL who misses a tackle which allows the runner to gain 6 yards instead of 3, but when Conte screws up, receivers are dancing in the end zone. That is where the emotional element comes in, from the fan's point of view. On almost all defensive coverages (sans safety blitz), his top priority is supposed to be to get his ass into the play when the QB throws a long pass down into the end zone. That's in the FS job description in the playbook. When he is two steps late, it usually means he wasn't reacting fast enough to the situation. And I know it is not in the playbook for him to take the wrong pursuit angle on runners or blow the tackle when he gets there.
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Depending on the play call it may not be the free safeties responsibility to be back....perhaps they were running some sort of cloud or smoke coverages and he was supposed to flash up into the flat or curl and someone else was supposed to rotate back. This is what happens when you assume you know what's going on. As for bad angles and blown tackles...he had his share I won't disagree....but name me the bears defender last year that didn't? He was put in bad situations more often than not, and the front 7's inability to do there job made almost impossible for him to do his.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,427 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    184ß
    reality is that conte is, at his best around ELITE talent, an average FS, lose any peice in front of him, or he has an off day and he's well below average to gawd awful, i'm not saying kick him to the curb, but no reason to not make him earn his job, and Mundy and Jennings hardly push him.
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    I agree that hasn't earned an unquestioned starting job. That much is evident and the front office and Conte have both said he's going to have to fight for his job. But this over reaction is maddening.
  7. DavidL

Ratings:
    +592 / 4 / -16
    ßearz ßuckz:
    183ß
    I agree with your assessment, and (for Butkus) there are damn few defensive sets where the FS is not supposed to be back there to break up deep passes. Conte should be remoted to backup status this season, assuming we draft a safety in the first round.
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Actually there are quite a few, cover 0, quarters coverage, cover 3 where the free safety has to rotate due to strength change, cloud coverage, quarter quarter half, robber(if the free is the robber), various zone blitzes, I could go on and on if you'd like me to. You also have to take into account that in the Tampa 2 the safeties really have 1/3's of the field, with the mlb getting the deep middle 1/3. This was obviously a challenge this year because we did not have a mike who could do that effectively. So what had to happen was the safeties truly had halves instead of thirds...thus giving them more coverage area then in the past. When you understand these intricacies you might have a better understanding of the challenges these safeties faced this year. If you don't...you're likely to have the opinion you have.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DavidL

Ratings:
    +592 / 4 / -16
    ßearz ßuckz:
    183ß
    You can draw up 100 of those on paper. When I see Tillman or Jennings play very tight on the receiver with no help behind them, either (1) they are playing river-boat gambler, or (2) Conte was out of position on the play. You decide. I am tired of debating this with you.
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    I'm not deciding anything because unlike you I know I don't know the play call and like you I'm watching the game on tv which gives me a limited view, and certainly doesn't give me a good enough view for me to guess play calls and make assumptions on responsibilities. I have a pretty good knowledge of this type of defense...we ran a 4-3 cover 2 in college. I kind of have an idea of what the safeties responsibilities are.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,809 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    I agree with everything in your post (and not just the short part I quoted above). I'm just frustrated with the above point. I understand we can't fix everything overnight. But that doesn't change the fact that we do need to do better at safety. Knowing Emery's track record, I have to believe he has a viable plan to do this. Just like he upgraded the offensive line, the perennial problem at safety will get some attention beyond what we have seen so far.

And I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Folks understand that just because we have major issues at DL, doesn't necessarily mean that's the only position of need, and I realize you understand this. And, FWIW, I do understand that it's a matter of priorities as far as the sequence in fixing our problems on defense. I get all of that. I'm just looking forward to not having to watch our safeties get victimized. It does remind be of the offensive line woes in that the position needs attention. Safeties are important to a defense too. Just like the LB's, CB's and DL. There is a minimum threshold needed at all positions, otherwise it doesn't matter how good that DL is, there will be a weak point that teams like Green Bay can exploit.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  12. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    JABF -- We'll be better at safety. Emery is not going to go into the season with what we have/ I mean, it's possible, but he seems to understand our weaknesses and actually improves them. Draft and post draft FA aren't even here yet. He is only through have of the first of three offseason improvement opportunities. He had done very well IMO
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,809 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    I feel the same way. And I'm still hoping Conte comes back from surgery and is a good safety for us. I'm not convinced otherwise, even though he had a really tough year. I tried to read up on him, while trying to keep an open mind, and it seems like there is some talent there. He could still be a good safety. Pair him up with a solid guy other than Wright, and upgrade the DL and we may be very pleasantly surprised with what we have in a healthy Conte at that point.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    My thought on Conte is the same as with Mother Tucker. I want them to succeed, but so far the only real results I see is negative. And while people can say this happened or this happened, I don't even want to hear about it. Something can happen once or twice, but when consistent underpeformance is the norm, then lightning just can't strike there that many times. Both Conte and Tucker have had repeated (and fairly consistent) underperformance.
    I don;t care if it's not their fault... at some point, just get someone else. This coming year I am more in just watching mode on these two. What I don;t like to hear is people saying that you put someone around him that is good and he'll be fine. Well, put the Olympians with me in a relay and we can probably win. But we can win by even more if you replace me with someone that can run. Why should we be happy having people that shore up others?

I have my serious doubts on Conte. He will be surrounded by better talent, but you can also bet that opposing teams will specifically target him based on previous performance. At some point, he will have to perform or he will be exposed again -- no matter who is around him. Tucker may have an actual excuse, but like Conte, just too many things to make excuses for. Maybe he didn't run his own offense... maybe he did have lots of injuries.... but why no improvement on what he did have control over? The rooks got no better... actually regressed. No one seemed to be in any better position at the end of the year than they did when they first went in. Those things he could and should have controlled. Was it the coaches that we let go? Yeah, I bet they had a bunch to do with it. Sorry, but when my managers don't perform, it's my job to fix it. Tucker should have helped those coaches out.... SOME KIND of improvement in some area should have happened. He is also surrounded by better people. If he still sucks, hopefully, it will still be seen and a change can still be made. I don;t think anyone should be carrying anyone else.

A top performing team is made up of top performers. All of them have to do their part.
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    Maybe I'm being over-confident here but I sincerely do trust our GM and coaching staff. Looking back just a couple years, its amazing how far we have come (WR, TE, OL, and now hopefully DL). I see no reason to doubt they can/will improve our S corps, even though it may not happen as fast as some might to see. Emery has brought in a couple vets to compete and I would say there is a high liklihood he will be drafting a S in the first 3 rounds, probably in the top 2.

As far as Conte goes, Ric posted an accurate assessement of him that's fair and balanced. He's a decent/average/middlin'/serviceable (pick your preferred term) starting FS with a solid front-7 playing in front of him. With the disaster of a front-7 we had last year, CC is overmatched and gets exposed. He doesnt have the elite ability to compensate for that. IMHO, I doubt many Ss in the NFL could have.

Our current coaching staff and Front Office have no reason to maintain irrational loyalty to him. They didn't draft him or move him into a starting role. Emery has shown no reluctance to show the door to players who couldn't cut it and looked unsalvageble (Carimi, Webb, Kellen Davis, Wright, etc). So, I have to conclude from all that they have rational reason to believe he's worth another look in 2014.

Now, the Conte-flogging can resume in 3, 2, 1......
    • Like Like x 3
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,809 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    In a sense it's a bit like fixing up our house. Most people can't fix everything that needs fixing, all at once. My wife and I try to prioritize what gets fixed with the money we can afford each year. Over the years this has worked pretty well, even with our meager budget. In the case of Conte, he may be fine for now, when there's other positions that simply have a higher priority/need for replacement. I think that's probably where we're at with him. He's probably not like my furnace that gave out a few weeks ago (and we were mighty cold) but maybe more like our family room carpet that's going to need upgraded pretty soon - but definitely not this year.

Emery seems to get the most bang for the buck roster-wide. If Conte still has some value (like our old family room carpet) then maybe he figures we can get by another year. I'll bet that's what's happening here. Other needs are simply more pressing, and Emery only has so much money. Even the Bears have to live within a budget, and within limited draft picks each year.
    • Like Like x 1