Corey Wooton is our new DT

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,208 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Season-ending knee injuries to defensive tackles Henry Melton and Nate Collins have prompted the Bears to move Corey Wootton to tackle from defensive end. He's still adjusting to playing closer to the ball.

"You get a lot more double teams," Wootton said. "Guys are shorter and stouter, really good run blockers. Contact happens faster than outside, so it's definitely an adjustment."

Wootton plans to establish power on his rush by taking a shorter first step after the ball is snapped. That's necessary to account for the reduced space between him and the offensive guard than between him and the offensive tackle when he lined up on the end.

"The biggest thing is you just have to take a shorter 6-inch step and really get your feet in the ground," he said. "If you take too long of a step, they're really going to be able to get you off balance. I got the hang of it during the game."

Defensive coordinator Mel Tucker was pleased with Wootton's work at three-technique in Sunday's loss to the Saints.

"He was able to get his pads down, use his hands and get off the ball, had good anchor and played with good energy," Tucker said.

"He's a smart player. He has good football awareness and instincts. He can bend. He's strong. He has anchor. He has length. He can do both (end and three-technique)."

Extra points: Cornerback Charles Tillman (right knee) and safety Anthony Walters(left hamstring) would not have participated Tuesday if the Bears had practiced instead of having walkthroughs. … Defensive tackle Stephen Paea (sprained toe) would have been limited, an upgrade from his status Monday. Tight end Martellus Bennett (left knee), receiver Alshon Jeffery (ankle) and left tackle Jermon Bushrod (calf) also would have been limited. … Giants leading rusher David Wilson (neck) will not play Thursday night against the Bears, coach Tom Coughlin announced. Brandon Jacobs will start. … The Bears terminated the practice-squad contract of defensive end Aston Whiteside to make room for defensive tackle Christian Tupou.

I honestly like this, but McClellan HAS to start showing up since he's likely to take over as starter for the DE spot.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    84ß
    I'm glad Mel is happy. I thought Wootton looked like crap.

Of course the entire Dline looked like crap too. But, glad Mel is happy with it all :D
  3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    239ß
    So, is McClellin getting 100% of the DE time? Play CornWash! Let's see what he can do. We already know what McClellin can do -- not much.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I <3 Wootton. If anyone up front is worthy of being paid. It is that guy.
    It does hurt his marketability and I hope the Bears do the right thing.

And yes, I think CornWash will get a battlefield promotion.
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,208 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I think, barring injury, this is gonna be good, as he is the same type of player Idonije was. Plus, there's no better game to get his feet wet in, than against the Giants. Now, if they can just find a DE that can play the run, they could keep a healthy rotation..
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,208 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Oh, and I found this:

San Fran is wanting to sign him, and I think his price tag just about kills any chance of him coming here.
  7. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,157 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I'm nervous about putting Woot in a new position with his history of injuries. If McC plays at DE opponents will run at him all day and night.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    84ß
    I understand the need for the move. I'm sorry, but I'm not very optimistic about the DL moving forward. But, it "is what it is" and yes, let's see what the bench players can do too. Hell, grab a Soldier Field beer vendor and play 'em. Can't do any worse than what we have.

[​IMG]
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,460 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    247ß
    I would have preferred Peppers take up the DT position, Wootton isn't going to fit that position very well imo. That means Shea needs to step up and CWash needs to step up better then he did last week.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,208 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I'm personally neutral on how I think Wootton is going to play this soon at DT, but I agree with you that Peppers should be the man in the middle. This kinda sucks, because our defensive line, for the rest of the season, is essentially going to be the "Nascar" package (that's when there's only defensive ends playing all 4 spots).
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,830 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    84ß
    I just read that the undrafted rookie from the Montana State Bobcats practiced with the 1st team defense today, and is expected to play tomorrow (Minter). He has been on the practice squad this season, so he's ready to roll against New York. He does have experience against teams Southern Utah and Eastern Washington in the Big Sky Conference.

[​IMG]
  12. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I wonder how Ja'Marcus Webb would do at DT?
  13. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +483 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    If the QB looked like a taco, he'd do all right.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Does anyone know if Minter is going to play the 3 point tech?