Corey Wootton dances like robot, plays like machine

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 16, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    http://www.hubarkush.com/2013/08/16/corey-wootton-dances-like-robot-plays-like-machine/a1b9uyd/?page=1

Corey Wootton dances like robot, plays like machine
    By TOM MUSICK – tmusick@shawmedia.com - Thursday, August 15, 2013 11:08 p.m. CDT

Chicago Bears defensive end Corey Wootton (98) celebrates after sacking San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers (17) during the first half of the preseason NFL football game, Thursday, Aug. 15, 2013, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast) (Charles Rex Arbogast)
    CHICAGO – Corey Wootton planted ornery quarterback Philip Rivers into the Soldier Field turf, rose to his feet, and stepped into the national spotlight.
    Go ahead, Corey. This is your moment. Celebrate however you’d like.
    Oh.
    As thousands watched in person and millions more watched on TV, Wootton did the robot. He bent his arms at the elbows, leaned forward at the waist, and he did the robot.
    “When I got there, I was like, ‘You know what? That’s what I’m going to do,’ ” Wootton said with a laugh after the Bears’ 33-28 preseason win against the San Diego Chargers. "I think it might be my go-to [move]. I've just got to get there first."
    It's a fitting move because Wootton played like a machine whenever he was on the field during training camp. He challenged prized left tackle Jermon Bushrod, he abused rookie right tackle Jordan Mills, and he proved time and time again that he was the Bears’ best defensive end not named Julius Peppers.
    On Thursday, Peppers was one of seven inactive players for the Bears. The prolific veteran’s absence from a measly preseason game was not a major cause for concern, even though coach Marc Trestman said earlier in the week he expected Peppers to play.
    But Peppers is 33 years old with 170 regular-season games and 10 playoff games on his résumé, and the NFL can be a cruel place for an aging body.
    What if the Bears need another defensive end to lead – be it for a few plays or a few games? What if opponents nullify Peppers with double- and triple-teams? Who can break through?
    Maybe Wootton can be that player.
    Sure, second-year teammate Shea McClellin showed some flashes against the Chargers. McClellin never will be mistaken for the World’s Strongest Man, but he has IndyCar speed, which he showed when he blew past block-footed offensive lineman Max Starks on his way to sacking Rivers from the blind side and forcing a fumble.
    It’s great to show flashes, but the Bears need a consistent presence on every down.
    That’s where Wootton comes in.
    On the Chargers’ first four series, Wootton tallied three tackles and a sack. He overpowered 6-foot-5, 339-pound offensive lineman D.J. Fluker – the 11th pick in the 2013 draft – en route to sacking Rivers for a 9-yard loss. He chased down running back Ryan Mathews on a 3-yard gain, and he wrapped up Fozzy Whitaker on a 2-yard gain.
    With that type of production in barely more than one quarter, it’s fun to imagine what Wootton could do as a featured starter for 16 games. But it’s impossible to separate that imagination from Wootton’s history of injuries, which is part of the reason he has been limited to 29 games (with seven starts) in three seasons.
    Perhaps this is the season Wootton can turn the corner.
    One day at lunch at Olivet Nazarene University, new defensive coordinator Mel Tucker grabbed a seat next to Wootton. Forget the small talk. These two talked about big goals.
    “His expectations for himself are as high as they can be,” Tucker said. “He expects to be a special player. And there’s no expectations that we can put on him that will be higher than what he wants for himself. He really wants to be a special player.
    “So, this is the time to develop. One day at a time, one rep at a time. And that’s what we’re working to do. And then, we’ll see. Only time will tell, but he’s going to put the work in.”
    Wootton’s work is far from finished, and his injury history leaves room for concern. But if he can combine his great expectations with good health, more dances could be in store.
    "That’s what I’ve been working toward all offseason," Wootton said, "is to be a major contributor for this defense."
    The robot has found his power button.
    • Northwest Herald sports columnist Tom Musick can be reached at tmusick@shawmedia.com and on Twitter @tcmusick.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    Cannot believe how good Wootton has looked, has made the Shea pick forgettable and unnecessary. Now Shea can play the rover role he was meant to and fill in at DE if necessary....he won't shine at DE, but he might well be able to be just good enough.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    206ß
    Talented . But ain't sold on him till he produces like a starter should . And that means playing a full 16 games w/o getting bitten by the injury bug . That's been his biggest bug-a-boo .

Hope to see it . Been waiting for this guy to live up to his potential for too long now .
  4. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    +1 He's going to be a star. I think the injury issues are behind him. They hit gold with Wooton.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. stonehouse91

stonehouse91 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Shea had a good game Thursday, he set Starks like he was going inside went quick outside ran around the edge and strip-sack. We'll need 4+ pass rushers this season.

I was hoping we'd re-sign Wootton this offseason, versatile, undervalued, primed for a big year, he could price himself out of Chicago which would be let down.
  6. stonehouse91

stonehouse91 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    At the worst he turns into an Izzy type player, always solid, never bad; at best he's a lesser Peppers.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +299 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    A lot of people wanted Wootton cut the past couple seasons ... that is all.
  8. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm not sure how we keep him if Cutty and he both impress.
  9. stonehouse91

stonehouse91 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Marinelli, Lovie, and Angelo deserve the credit for the patience with him. This whole DL has Marinelli, Lovie and or Angelo all over it.

The Bears have what 45mil in projected cap space next season, it could be done, it really depends what kind of market he plays himself into.
  10. CNYBearFan54

CNYBearFan54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Expecting big things from Wooton! A beast in the making!
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,738 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,301ß
    Where's this guy Musick been. Wootton entered into the national spotlight when he put Favre's lights out for the last time in his career and it ended right then and there. But I dislike Rivers just as much as I do Favre so it's a toss up as far as which one I enjoyed more.
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,738 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,301ß
    One play like that a game from McClellin and he'll more than prove his worth. Tucker just needs to set him up so that he has few if any real obstacles between him and the ball carrier. He can't outfight 330lb OTs but if they can't get their hands on him he's virtually unblockable. He came out of the blocks on that strip sack so fast Starks never even had a chance to set up. At 248lbs the kid isn't an every down DE but he sure can be one hell of a big play weapon if they move him around and keep the bigger blockers off him. Geez Urlacher struggled with that too his whole career and no one ever called him a bust. If they use him correctly he'll be just fine.

If Wootton continues the way he played last year and in camp he won't be going anywhere. Not with Pep nearing the end of his career. He's been very impressive so now all that needs to happen is for him to stay healthy.
  13. CNYBearFan54

CNYBearFan54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The D-Line could really be a force to be reckoned with this year and for years to come if the Front Office does things the right way! RUSH MEN! BearDown
  14. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Those were probably also the same guys that wanted the Bears to lock up Cutler with a $100 million deal. bwahahaha
  15. stonehouse91

stonehouse91 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100 million for Cutler is a bit crazy if you ask me. Unless it's a 7 year deal. I know it only takes one team, but I doubt any team would do that with the rookie wage scale.

The thing with McClellin is that he probably won't ever put up big numbers. He is the kind of guy who will keep a offense on their toes. The Bears didn't have him rush every play last year, and a good DC won't have him rush every play, he can lineup with hand in the dirt, drop back have Bostic rush all of sudden it's a 3-4 look out of a 4-3 and something that will keep a OL coach up at night, as the OL would make sure he's accounted for but if he drops and Bostic comes in a different gap and lays a hit on the QB could be scary.

Another way that won't show up in the stats, he rushes up the field, forces the QB to climb, Melton, Peppers, Wootton, Collins, etc are there. Every bit of his doing.

McClellin may never put up traditional stats that justify a top 20 pick, but he can make his presence known to fans, to coaches and metric stats.

That being said, you can never have enough good pass rushers, I would think Wootton wants to stay in Chicago being from Northwestern, the amount of patience the Bears have shown him, Mike Phair being here, but a lot of guys who need to get paid, I would think he's up there after Cutler, Tillman, Wright, Jennings, and perhaps Slauson.
  16. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    Wootton was projected as a top-10 pick before his injury in college. He absolutely has the talent, just the health problems have held him back. I was happy with his pick in the 4th round, and it looks like he will turn out to be a cornerstone for our defense. Peppers is awesome, but if Wootton and McClellin show up well this season, we may be in a position to open up nearly 20M in cap space from Pep. That would give us a lot of roster flexibility.
    • Like Like x 1