Cornelius Washington arrested

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by shark86x, Jun 23, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    841ß
    Petty crime or not, bubble players need to be good citizens and not get into trouble with the law, no matter how minor.

I'd love for all the Bears players to be perfect citizens, but that's never going to happen
  2. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    It looks like he had some unpaid tickets/citations. Hopefully (for him) is will be a non-issue.

3. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +930 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    488ß
    The problem with rookies or young players, they feel like that teams need them. Almost that their invincible.

It happens every year. And rookies wonder why they are forced to go to knife and fork school after being drafted.
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    You know this for a fact then? It is possible for people to have their licenses suspended and not know about it. Grizz mentioned that it happened to his girl friend and I've had it happen to me more than once.

I've probably driven many miles on a suspended license and I'm no punk. Just a guy who never received any notice that my license was suspended. It was temporary but nonetheless it was suspended without any knowledge on my part. My license didn't magically change color or light up or anything.

Jeez if we cut every player who ever got arrested for speeding or a license infraction we'd have a real revolving door around Halas Hall wouldn't we? He was probably on his way to spend some time with his family before camp begins. Jeez it's no big deal. It's just an f'n traffic ticket not a drug bust.
  5. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    841ß
    Whether it is true or not I don't know, but someone said he had a DUI as well prior to this. If that was the case, he should have known it was suspended without having been told. That is common sense.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,966 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    972ß
    it's in the link, he had a dui while speeding prior to this, which cost him 2 games while at UGA....did any of you actually read this article?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    841ß
    The DUI mentioned in the article though said he was arrested in Oct 2011.

I'm not familiar with license suspension, is it common for them to be suspended for nearly three years?
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,966 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    972ß
    if it was his first offense, then only 12 mo's, but he also was speeding, which might have added some time.

I saw an aritcle this morning(might have been hub's site) saying he paid all the fees and fines and was released, sounds like he hadn't paid the fines/fees from previous issues, maybe the dui/speeding incident.
  9. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    I am assuming that since he was able to take care of it and will not have to appear in court that this was something like an unpaid ticket (or tickets). Obviously I don't know for sure. But if it was anything serious, he would have to appear in court with a lawyer.
  10. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +930 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    488ß
    http://www.ourgeorgiahistory.com/ogh/Cornelius_Washington_DUI

I'm not one to hammer a guy for one thing, however, he's starting a trend.

I can't find out why his license was suspended. Maybe he never got it re-instated fro his DUI?

I did see where he JUST got it re-instated today (Monday).

If he got it back that quick, this is not an issue. No harm no foul. Basically he was speeding. No big deal.
  11. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    958ß
    ChicagoBears.com News:

Bears defensive end Cornelius Washington reportedly was arrested Friday night for speeding and driving with a suspended license in Georgia, according to WRDW-TV in Augusta, Ga.The TV station report...

Continue reading...
  12. beardownzona

beardownzona Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

He's a bubble player...his chances of making the roster by the season start is very slim now considering the amount of talent we had acquired during this offseason. Chances are he will most likely be cut come preseason time opening up a roster space for better talent.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß

And that may happen but if it does it should be because we have better talent not because of some stupid traffic violation. At this point we don't really know whether he's a guy on the bubble or not. There are about six DEs pushing for one of two roster spots and until we see what they do once the pads go on we can't really speculate. If they kept him this long they must have some hope for him.

Who knows whether he was even aware of the outstanding citations. Even if he was the police report said he was respectful and cooperative. He paid his fines and was on his way. It's barely worth the press it got and if he'd been just an ordinary Joe it wouldn't have gotten any press. Could you imagine seeing a headline that read, "DaBears member soulman arrested for speeding and driving while suspended"?

If you ever do come and bail me out OK? :bah: I'll buy you a beer. :13 4 9[1]:
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  14. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +930 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    488ß
    Yeah I read that he already resolved his suspended license issue.

So this isn't really anything to get crazy over.
  15. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    Dear fucking Jebus the holier than though bullshit squad is out in full bullshit fashion.
  16. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +682 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    796ß
    I agree. This is just dumb. He should not have been driving in the first place, but to drive over the speed limit with a suspended license shows a double lack of good judgment. He's got a lot to prove now to make the roster, and not much time to do it. If he has an excellent preseason performance, he might still have a shot, but I'm getting the feeling that I'm going to be shopping for a new Bear to adopt this year.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    Really? I'd rather they were great football players who behave like most of the rest of us do. I'm very proud of the work many of them do in the community but if some of us made several million dollars a year and had some of the free time they have we'd be better equipped to do that too.

Good citizens get in trouble with the law every day of the year. If you've never had a single brush with the law in your life then you must be living a very sheltered existence because you'd be amazed what can happen just going about your business and doing your best to stay clear of trouble.

It can find you anyway and usually when you least expect it.
  18. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +810 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    701ß
    God damn cops...
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
  19. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +930 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    488ß
    Isn't being pulling over a speeder in a sense profiling? They never pull over those that aren't speeding!

He was profiled!!
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    Just being black and driving a nicer car through Georgia might be enough for that.