Cornelius Washington

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Aug 29, 2013.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    Cincy has as good a passing game as anyone in the NFL. A J Green and those TEs of theirs are monster players. In fact Green impresses me even more than Megatron. He beat Jennings badly on that TD and that doesn't happen often and even Peanut has his hands full with him today. We've shut down C J before better than we shut down Green today.

Yeah the pass rush was a little disappointing today but it was McClellin along with Paea who got the only sack. In fact I thought Paea has one of his best games today.

McClellin will never be an OLB on this team as long as they play a 4-3 front. He doesn't have the size to play full time at LDE but if we move him around and get him space to rush and penetrate he'll make plays all game long. He's a tactical situational player and that's how he should be used. One thing about him I see is that he's a smart player who doesn't get embarrassed out there and he's always around the ball.
  2. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    I'm calling it now (again)

Bears will switch to a 3-4 next year with Washington, Greene, Anderson, Briggs, Shea and Bostic as their (potential starting) LBs. Melton may stay but cutting Peppers will happen too. Need a new DE and DT for this but we have the Draft and Free Agency to get it done. Offense looks fine so far without adding a 1st or 2nd rounder.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +682 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    801ß
    Bears need to revamp the front 7. That's why I want to see Washington get some playing time so that we can see what he can do. I agree on cutting Peppers. Bears need to free up money to pay Cutler's new contract next year. The 3-4 might work as you propose, but I'd want to first get a monster nose guard to stop the run.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    False, but nice try. Hand in the dirt, lined up as a DE, stunt inside and right through a gap.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    988ß
    EH not really a try and anything, it's why I said what I said, it looked like he came from the inside, but I wasn't sure where he started. If he stunted, then he stunted in behind Paea between him and the DT.
  6. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +682 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    801ß
    No stunt on that play. Fluker is simply too slow. Shea just ran around him from inside. For a top draft choice, Fluker has had problems pass blocking in the preseason.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  7. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    Wrong. It was a set stunt. Four down lineman, Peppers lined up at the 9 drops into flat coverage, Melton lined up on the 5 bull rushes forward pushes the LT&TE further away from the 3 gap, Paea at NG hits hard to the 1 dragging the LG and C with him, Shea swings right behind Paea into the now vacated 3 gap, Anderson on a straight blitz in the 6/7 gap and DJ comes on a delay into the 5 which Shea vacated on the stunt.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +682 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    801ß
    None of that excuses Fluker for missing his block. He was 1-on-1 against Shea. Shea did not cross paths with Paea, so he was Fluker's sole responsibility from start to finish on that play, and he whiffed his block.

Meanwhile, this is supposed to be the Cornelius Washington thread, and I started it to hear what other Bears fans think about Corny. Would you like to see him get some playing time?
  9. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    Are you talking all the way back to the Chargers game? Because, Fluker is not on the Bungles.
  10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +682 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    801ß
    True. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, what's your impression of Washington so far?
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    Hopefully he'll get some playing time at some point so we can see what we have in him.
  12. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +682 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    801ß
    I hope it is sooner rather than later. I studied him in a couple preseason games. He has the speed to get around the edge and run down the QB. I also saw him use upper body strength throw aside a blocker with his arms. He did 36 reps with 225 lbs. at the combine -- top performance!! Combine that with 4.55 speed, and he obviously has rare physical assets. There are questions about his "work ethic". Will he work hard to improve his technique?

Frankly, I am already worried about our pass rush as that first Packer game approaches. If we give Rodgers as much time as Dalton had yesterday, we know what happens. So I want to explore options, including Washington, before we get there.
  13. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +682 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    801ß
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  14. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +682 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    801ß
    I just read this...

"Facing the New Orleans Saints, the Bears only got pressure on Brees a handful of instances, and he dropped back to throw 35 times, completing 29 of them. The lack of QB hurries and hits are what made the Saints’ offense so efficient. And with Henry Melton and now Nate Collins both done for the season with torn up knees, things aren’t looking any better moving forward.

Julius Peppers has looked unimpressive this year minus two plays: a sack-fumble and lucky fumble recovery[​IMG] that he ran back for a touchdown. Other than that, he’s been almost nonexistent. Is he playing hurt? Is age catching up to him? I don’t know, but it appears he’s lost a step in some way or another.

At the other DE spot, Corey Wootton hasn’t done much of anything; and the third man in the rotation, 2012 first-round pick Shea McClellin, has only one sack on the season, and otherwise hasn’t been too noticeable, either. Perhaps it’s time the Bears give rookies Cornelius Washington and David Baas some more looks. Baas, himself, put a couple pressures on the Brees in yesterday’s game and looked pretty decent."

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/...right-ship-make-playoffs/?xFdZZbcLVeTPAlBW.99
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    988ß
    CornWash looked like Poo the few times he played and he's going to get more playing time but not b/c he was impressive, at least that's what the analysts were saying this week. I'll be honest I didn't notice him out there.
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    Last night I went back and watched the game, focusing on the defensive line in general, and Peppers in particular. It was really sad to watch. Nobody looked good. Everybody looked bad. Seriously. And that article is accurate regarding Peppers. I've always liked him as a solid player for us. But he really did disappear. McClellin was pathetic. Wootton looks like a backup talent at best.

I'm fine with starting other players, but I also understand that we probably are screwed at DL this year. In today's NFL, you really do need some studs on the DL. We can cobble together a makeshift DL from the bench players, but that probably won't end up with a solid DL. Ultimately, we'll probably have to do something like we did with the OL this past year - some combination of solid FA's with a 1st round draft pick, and hopefully the DL equivalent of Mills. Paea looks solid. I don't know about the rest. Most should probably be swept off the roster.
  17. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +682 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    801ß
    I basically agree. Let's play Bass and CornWash. One or both may be a pleasant surprise, and they gain solid experience for next season. Worse case, we see they are also not worth keeping.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    I agree David. It would be nice to see what we have in these two. It's not like we're seeing studs out there now. I'm still in shock over Peppers decline. I really didn't see that coming. Of course, the Bears didn't either I guess.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I would be fine with that. Maybe they will pan out and become decent DE.

I think everyone is surprised but the worse part is that we are likely stuck with him another year because of his contract.
  20. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    And all the flack I caught from so many on this board as I pointed out the lack of production and likely decline of Pep!! There are few players that are still productive in the NFL after 12 years in, those are just the numbers. Pep was a great player for many years, but his inevitable decline is here. Washington is a freak athletically, but we have seen in the past that this doesn't always equate to a monster player. I guess with the injuries, we may at least find out what he's got.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1