Cornelius Washington

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Aug 29, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +679 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    Alonzo Spellman comes to mind. He was also built like a cyborg -- had 4% body fat at 280 pounds. But he didn't have near the speed of CornWash.
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    That dude was crazy as hell, though.
  3. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +321 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    217ß

yeah, but unfortunately for us, not in the "good" way. He was just criminally/nuthouse crazy. :(
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    I've read nothin outside this board that say Corn Wash is ready to play, or that he is showing promise.

If Wooten slides inside, then they have no choice but to play him, right?
  5. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    I think that is kind of what we are down to now, we don't have any choice but to give the youngsters a chance. May turn out to be a good thing!
  6. DavidL

Ratings:
    +679 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    No, CornWash was inactive for Saints game. Look, I don't have great immediate expectations for him. He is a "raw prospect" with outstanding physical attributes. If McClellin were getting the job done, I wouldn't be pushing for getting CornWash on the field this soon. But he wouldn't need to do much to outplay Shea, so let's give it a shot and find out what he can do. What's to lose?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,348 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    You have a good point.
  8. DavidL

Ratings:
    +679 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    Active for last game:
    David Bass DE

Joe Anderson WR
    Michael Ford RB
    Jon Bostic LB
    Kaseem Greene LB
    Zach Minter DT
    Marquess Wilson WR

Inactive for last game:
    Cornelius Washington DE
    CJ Wilson

My adopted Bear gets no respect! With Paea coming back for Redskins game, they should drop Minter and activate CornWash.
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +648 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    326ß
    CornWash should be put in next game, pick either Ford or Anderson out I would like to keep Wilson active
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    Exactly, look we can call it whatever we want. You can say he's "developing" or "just needs more weight" or anything else you want. Fact is that Shea was an OLB drafted to play a down 5 or 7 and he just isn't getting it done. If any noticed how the Giants were running the ball it was pretty clear. They were using motion away from Shea to create a false weak side and running right at him. He would get killed and it would leave a huge hole for a lb or S to have to fill and killed us with it. And as far as this "playmaker" we have...just watch him he tries a speed rush and runs himself past the qb every time because he isn't strong or big enough to turn the corner. No counter moves off his speed rush.

That being said I agree. What's the worst that can happen we get a DE that is horrible against the rush and a non factor in passing situations either? I think that's called a lateral move if that were to be the case.
  11. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    Seems that the team is placing Bass ahead of Washington. I would consider Washington over Bass against a run happy Skins team. Heck he could outperform McClellin in that capacity, easily.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,348 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    It will be interesting. They averaged 6.5 yards per carry last night rushing, and RGIII averaged 8.6 yards per carry. Our guys will certainly need to tackle better, and we'll need some speed/quickness to keep their runners in check - especially with RGIII. I watched the game last night, and he isn't as quick as he was before the injury, but he's still dangerous. Our DE's need to be able to contain. Our LB's need to show up too. Speed/Quickness & better tackling by all.

Their rookie TE, Jordan Reed, looked dangerous too. He was their #2 receiver last night.

And boy, Dallas' Marinelli has those Cowboys DL guys playing great. Decimated by injuries, yet their backups are playing solid.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  13. DavidL

Ratings:
    +679 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    Thank you. You probably know CornWash's strengths/limitations better than anybody on this board, since you are a Bulldogs fan. I can't believe that he wouldn't stop the run better than Shea. And if he got 1 sack in 6 games, he'd have more than McClellin had the first 6 games. I honestly don't understand why they won't play CornWash. This may sound like treason, but it may take a crisis to get their attention. More and more, teams are going to focus their running game toward McClellin, as the Giants did.

I know CornWash added about 45 pounds of muscle in college. He obviously knew how to train. Did you see year-to-year improvement, or did his DUI case set him back? He wasn't the feature guy in their defense -- aren't there a couple other guys from UGA also drafted? Not sure.
  14. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    You know full well he has the physical talents necessary. In college he did show improvement, but honestly the defensive coaching staff (in his last 2 years) wasn't well known for being technique teachers (more rah rah guys and schemers). What he needs more than anything is hand and foot technique coaching.

As for his DUI, this is a classic case of a "who you run with" offense. First of all, to get a DUI in Athens while being a football star means he was blotto. As I understand it, he was given a ride from a party by friends, then got in his car to go get late night food w/ his roommates (one of which was kicked off the team).

Several UGA defensive players were drafted in the first two rounds. Lots of talent there, again just a little more technique coaching needed.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  15. DavidL

Ratings:
    +679 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    I wish Peppers would take CornWash under his wing and teach him the tools of the trade. That's how he could earn his salary this season. I don't know anything about Tucker's capability as teacher, but he did say in an interview that CornWash is coachable and works hard. On the other hand, a couple scouting reports I read questioned his "work ethic" and suggested that's why he dropped to 6th round in the draft.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,348 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    That is a stellar idea. I agree it would be a perfect opportunity for him to learn from a future Hall of Famer.

Career highlights and awards
  17. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,195 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    88ß
    The whole D line should learn from Pep (see Paea thread). Not to say that they might not be learning from observation or mimicry but it appears that definitly some technique and finer points are missing.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Not Saying I would not like the guy to see the field, as a matter of fact I would like him to be given a shot (mainly because of the same reason everyone else stated, he can not possibly be worse than our future 1st round bust).

I just wish there was some kind of real indication that he is ready, either through the press or through the coaches. I'm just not seeing it.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,348 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    I understand that every player's situation is different, but you bring up a good point. Sometimes, if a young player isn't ready, and if you throw him to the wolves you can actually set back his development. I don't know if that's the case here, but I keep coming back to the same thought. The coaches have some reason for not putting him in. I don't know what that is, but it's not an arbitrary decision. As fans, we don't have all of the information, but the coaches do.
  20. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    We heard this whole "haven't heard any indication he's ready" stuff with Mills in TC. And then one day bam he's a starter for one game (at the time) and then the rest is history.

I don't care if it's corn wash or anyone else...some news bodies need to be added to the mix tho.
    • Like Like x 2