Cornelius Washington

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Okay, but what has Washington actually shown, that would make us think he's starter, or even rotation worthy material?
  2. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +654 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    664ß
    Turn the question around. How do we know what he can do until he gets a chance? One thing we DO know is what McClellin has done in 6 games. I trust I don't need to go over that with you. So, I say we don't have much to lose by rolling the dice with CornWash. Just give him some reps. I'd settle for splitting time 75/25 with McClellin at this point. Do you have a problem with that?

Bearstuff is a UGA fan who knows more about CornWash than any of us, and he says CW is a much better run stopper than Shea (which ain't saying much!).
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    You didn't answer my question. Just because McClellan hasn't performed up to snuff does not mean that Washington is suddenly NFL worthy. Just because he performed well at the college level doesn't mean anything. He's a late round pick, and has been inactive for a reason. Has he performed well in preseason or practice, to warrant a spot, is the question to ask, not "well since McClellan isn't playing well right now, why not him?" Peppers isn't playing any better either, so the burden of proof, in relation to playing him, is on anyone who claims he needs to be played.
  4. DavidL

Ratings:
    +654 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    664ß
    If you are playing draw poker, and you are dealt 5 crap cards, do you stand pat or do you draw 3 cards? Is it logical to stand pat because you don't what the 3 cards will be? No,you draw because you have nothing to lose.

To answer your question, I did see CornWash in a couple preseason games. He played well against Raiders. Granted, it was against second team, but he did have a sack and some QB pressure. He has excellent speed and strength. As Bearstuff says, he does need to work on technique, but for a rookie, there is no substitute for getting some real game experience. Next man up!
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Oakland's first team is garbage, let alone their second team. Also, using rhetoric to justify playing a player that just might not be ready to play just yet is not a solid foundation for running a football franchise.
  6. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    maybe it's just me, but I trust the guy in my Sig to know if he is ready or not...
    • Like Like x 2
  7. DavidL

Ratings:
    +654 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    664ß
    Isn't "ready to play" a relative term? The assumption is that Trestman thinks CornWash is not ready to play better than McClellin. From his public comments about McClellin, I think Trestman has a borderline delusional view of how poorly McClellin is playing. That may be contributing to why CornWash isn't playing.
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,429 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    "Isn't ready to play" means, not good enough for the field. You were using a poker analogy that really doesn't hold water. Trestman is with the team every day, I highly doubt he's overlooking something anyone on this board is noticing. Until the coach activates him for a game, he's obviously not as important as the other players they're playing. If you haven't gotten a good measure of the persona Trestman projects publicly, then I will tell you this: he has given no indication of being the type of guy to throw anyone under the bus. Maybe Washington is ready against the Packers, maybe not at all this season, but rushing a player that hasn't shown his position coach, coordinator and head coach any indication he'll be of better help to them, probably isn't a good thing.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,759 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß
    Informative x1
  10. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,079 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    429ß
    Cornwash needs to stay balanced (don't over extend) and use his hands better than he did in college to succeed in the NFL. I feel like he's getting more in the way of coaching from the Bears staff than he had at UGA. What worries me the most about him playing in the NFL is that he will be up against the best run blocker on the line in every game. He can be a very good pass rusher, and likely a decent run defender if he can get his fundamentals down (balance at point of attack & use of hands).

Scouting report:
    Overview
    Washington was named to the 2012 Butkus Award preseason watch list prior to the season, despite lacking much starting experience. That’s the sort of respect that those who know college football have for his physical attributes and potential as a pass rush force.
    Washington was a top-150 national high school prospect out of Georgia, but still redshirted his first season on campus. He played in every game of the 2009 season, starting one and making 13 tackles, five for loss and four sacks. As a sophomore, he started eight of 12 games played (missed one due to a concussion) and was credited with 24 tackles, three for loss, and a sack. It appeared he was on his way to a big season in 2011, starting three of the first five contests before being suspended two games due to an October arrest for speeding and driving under the influence (he received community service, alcohol/drug education program, probation). He finished with six starts in 12 games, with 17 tackles, six for loss and five sacks. Washington's senior season didn't match up to the preseason hype, as he only managed 22 tackles (3 for loss), and half of a sack.
    Analysis
    Strengths
    Tall, versatile defender who flashes excellent get-off to challenge tackles as a pass rusher with his hand on the ground or standing up. Possesses great length, which he uses to powerfully extend into blockers and to wrap up a leg on a ballcarrier running away from him. Flashes hands to rip off blocks from overextending tackles and tight ends, as well as the quickness to shoot inside to penetrate the B-gap to disrupt plays. Makes a big hit when head-up on the ball, and can use his long, strong arms to create turnovers.
    Weaknesses
    Often used as a third-down presence instead of a starter because of the team’s depth and scheme. Doesn’t own a counter move or the second effort to get past a solid block; teams need to see better stamina and hustle before projecting him as a starter. His height and average flexibility cause him to change directions relatively slowly on the edge and in the backfield, meaning he loses out on opportunities to make plays. Needs to prove his agility in coverage if asked to regularly take on receivers in man.
    NFL Comparison
    Raheem Brock
    Bottom Line
    A tall, long defensive end/rush linebacker who hasn’t been able to break through quite yet, but flashes the strength and quickness (10 career sacks) to be a factor. The production has never been there, but Washington's flashes and potential will likely result in a team selecting him to contribute down the line.
    They see it a little different than I do, so take my opinion w/ a grain of salt.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,178 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    525ß
    Ultimately, the coaches are the ones who produce results on the field or get fired. We're just a bunch of messageboard gurus (and I'm not so sure everyone here is even a "guru" on the MB).
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  12. DavidL

Ratings:
    +654 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    664ß
    I'm not from Missouri, but I am frustrated enough with Trestman at this point that I am ready to say "Show me." And the only way he can show me is by putting CornWash on the field in some of these upcoming games. What's the worst he can do? No sacks? No run stop? Doesn't that sound like the other guy we have been talking about?
  13. DavidL

Ratings:
    +654 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    664ß
    I'll take your opinion over theirs. I bet you have seen more games.... and a heck of a lot more than any of us. He may get to 275 pounds by next season, which would help on run defense. He doesn't seem to have lost speed as he added bulk.
  14. DavidL

Ratings:
    +654 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    664ß
    The Dallas Cowboys have lost Pro Bowl nose tackle Jay Ratliff, Pro Bowl defensive end/linebacker Anthony Spencer and now rush linebacker Demarcus Ware, another Pro Bowl pass rusher. Yet Dallas sits significantly ahead of the Bears in the vital area of rushing the passer despite a lineup with a number of players from what one pundit termed the “witness protection program.”

General manager Phil Emery wasn’t placing call to federal programs but the reality is that the Bears are faced with the weekly challenge of getting a pass rush from what they have on the roster, because impact pass rushers are not sitting home by phones.

[MORE: Sick bay: Bears' waiting game resumes but with better signs]

The question, however, is how much better David Bass, Shea McClellin, Zach Minter, Cornelius Washington and even Corey Wootton can become.

Defensive coordinator Mel Tucker necessarily has no interest in who’s not at Halas Hall but rather in finding results in the same cast that haven’t shown before this.

“We haven’t hit our ceiling with any of the guys that we have now,” Tucker said. “We feel like some guys have higher ceilings than others but we all need to get better. That’s the goal. We feel like we should get better day in and day out, and carry it over into the game. That’s our goal.”
  15. DavidL

Ratings:
    +654 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    664ß
    Bring it! 9217497_448x252 (2).jpg
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    168ß
    CW may be buried on the depth chart for good reason at this point but I do know one thing for sure:

Playing McClellin at DE on 1st and 2nd (running) downs is a PROVEN FAIL and will get us beat this Sunday against Morris. Skins need to establish the run to utilize the read-option so Shea needs to be on the bench unless its an obvious passing down. I'll take Bass over Shea against the run.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Aenir

Aenir Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm sorry, but as good as he is, I don't think Marcus Kruger is qualified to make football decisions
    • Like Like x 2
  18. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think everybody is forgetting something...at this point it's probably not a matter of what Cornwash could do vs. McClellin. I think it's fairly obvious that McClellin is not a natural DE, even to Trestman. But, and this is a big BUT, how exactly does a first year coach go about benching a first round pick without ruffling the GM's feathers? Trestman's waited a long time for this opportunity and he might not want to shit on the guy who gave it to him. And if there are plans in the works to transition McClellin to LB would he be best off sitting out the rest of the season-would that help him as a player? With DJ Williams out now might be the time, I don't know. IMHO, I would rather see McClellin dropping some lbs and competing with Conte for the FS spot, and if you think that's crazy just remember Urlacher played a lot of free safety in college...Could you imagine a guy with McClellin's size dropping a Fencik on Megatron. He would at least be able to make some open field tackles as opposed to Conte, who is the weakest link of all the db's on this team.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,181 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    63ß

I kind of agree w/you on the feather ruffling. My question is: Is Emery objective enough to pull the plug on McC as much as he has on JA's picks? Does he push for the team to switch to a 3-4 just to make his guy stick and not look foolish? As far as McC goes. if he can't be a 3-4 type of rush backer then for kicks and giggles see if he can do some other spot as crazy as that sounds. If he's even mildly competent then trade him so at least you get a ham sandwich outta the guy.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    300ß
    Start Washington ... and goddammit if that doesnt work then put McClellin back in.

What do we have to lose by seeing what happens through one rotation?

Geezuz ... do you have any idea what our DEFENSIVE LINE looks like right now ?

Man I'd dig up my great grandmothers BONES and put her ass into the mix if she could get us a SACK !
    • Agree Agree x 1