Cornelius Washington

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Aug 29, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,286 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    237ß
    Now THAT'S a fan! Now go get her a jersey. ;)
  2. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,286 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    237ß

Isn't the best analogy having the late round pick of Webb play LT? Here's another example of an athletic talent thrown to the wolves when not ready and forced over and over again to believe that the spaghetti would stick. Now I'm NOT comparing Corn Wash collegiate body of work I just don't want to see a guy ruined b/c of some kind of rush process (if that is indeed possible).
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    I don't know how the politics of all this play out behind the scenes. But if Emery can't see (and accept) his mistake in Shea then he's not the GM I thought he was. I can forgive him a bad miss in the draft but I can't forgive him failing to recognize it and respond appropriately.

Shea needs a position change (whether it succeeds or fails) or he needs to be traded. Continuing to insist that he's a "hand down 4-3 DE" is just pounding your head against a brick wall. If Emery's ego can't handle that, then he's a dick.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,205ß
    Now,why couldn't I have made the case that colorfully? Also, I think it is probably true that Trestman is cutting a lot of slack for Emery's #1 draft pick.
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    Was that Emerys #1 or Lovies ? i always saw the McCellin pick as the replacement for Urlacher in Lovies eyes.

it should be noted that we could have had Chandler Jones instead of McClellin.. 4.5 SACKS so far.
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,621 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    683ß
    Yet Peppers is playing as badly. There's something rotten with the defense as a whole, and it's not just McClellin that's the problem. In fact, even if Washington were the next best thing (he's likely not), it still wouldn't fix any of the problems this team is facing.
  7. DavidL

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,205ß
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,621 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    683ß
    Also, the Bears don't have many defensive linemen, so whether or not there's some incentive for the head coach(which really doesn't make sense, Lovie Smith still had free reign, his final season) to play him because of his first round status, the fact of the matter is, we're also short on defensive linemen now. 2 major injuries to any specific position is going to cause a team trouble, but we'll have to play with what we've got. If Washington were worth playing at this point, they would use him, because they'd still like to keep a rotation with McClellin (which, again, he was the 2nd stringer, so where this "Trestman's doing it because Emery tells him to" stuff is a bit dubious), whose known weak point is stopping the run.

Now, when a player like that 3rd round safety we drafted last year is cut by a team short at depth for that position, they were roundly applauded for not holding onto junk players. If Emery and Trestman decided that Brandon Hardin wasn't worth the roster space so quickly, why is it a surprise that they're not playing a late round defensive end? Did they suddenly "get stupid"? No, the simplest, and most likely answer is that he's simply not ready to go against NFL caliber talent.
  9. DavidL

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,205ß
    I don't think Emery told Trestman to play McClellin. But they have $8 million invested in a #1 draft choice playing his second season. They figure they must play out their hand with him. What I don't understand is that, as you say, since the DL is banged up, why don't they at least activate CornWash in case McClellin gets hurt during the game? If they think he is that damn bad, why didn't they just cut him after preseason? All I can figure is that -- with his excellent strength and speed -- they can coach him on technique to get him "NFL ready" next season. I take it this is how you see the situation.
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,621 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    683ß
    Some players just need a year to adjust before even seeing the field.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    ...and some players need to adjust to not seeing the field on 1st and 2nd downs.
  12. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,286 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    237ß
    At this point I'd say at least give the kid garbage time when it comes on obvious passing downs.
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,621 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    683ß
    Again, we have to accept that McClellin is the better choice between he and Washington, if the coaches don't even have him activated.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Bass has been active and has looked better than Shea in limited reps. And with Paea back, I am assuming Woot will see more time back outside rather than being exclusively a DT. All I'm saying is:

A) Washington is a run first team. If you can stuff Morris, the RG read option stuff becomes a whole lot less dangerous. He isn't a very good pocket passer at this point in his career (inaccurate, not great at outthinking defenses, etc).
    B) Shea is an enormous liability against the run and Washington knows that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. DavidL

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,205ß
    No,it means that's what they may believe. It doesn't mean we have to accept it. What if MPbears68 is correct, and Redskins steam-rolling over McClarin on the ground is a big contribution to Skins winning the game? Are you going to just leave him there, or try something different?
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    They have C.Washington at #2 now behind Shea. Won't that mean he gets some reps in the rotation, this coming game? Our #2's on the DL are now:

Cornelius Washington
    Zach Minter
    Landon Cohen
    David Bass
  17. DavidL

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,205ß
    They activated Franklin for Redskins game, but no word yet on CornWash. He was on inactive list the last two games.
  18. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,621 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    683ß
    So you're saying MPbears knows the team better than the coaches. That's heavily implied here.
  19. DavidL

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,205ß
    Well, then you drew the wrong implication. If you watch football for a few decades, or even a few years, you will see coaches make bad -- I mean really bad -- decisions. They trade future Hall of Fame players early in their careers or draft them in the late rounds (um, Richard Dent). They make fewer mistakes than you or I would, but they (and we) see their mistakes AFTER the guy gets on the field and plays a lot better/worse than they were expecting. Don't get me wrong. I am not predicting that CornWash would not play worse than McClellin. But if McClellin keeps playing poorly, I'm ready to say "Show me!"
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    I have watched football for a long time, yet I have to admit, I'm wrong about as much as I'm right about this stuff. Even since I've been on this message board I've had to eat more than my share of crow. I'm the idiot who predicted we'd sweep the Packers this year. I can already see THAT'S going to be another crow meal :(

[​IMG]