Cornelius Washington

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I hope we see CornWash in GB. I also hope Bostic and Greene play well. That is potentially the future core of the defense. Shame we wasted a first rounder on a guy who should be another bright spot..
    • Like Like x 2
  2. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    So, who are the two guys who are killing our defense the most? I vote for McClellin and Conte. If anybody's job is up for grabs, it should be theirs. I want those two guys off the field. Why? Because so long as they are there, teams will run at McClellin and throw at Conte deep. It's been going on all year. So "good enough" doesn't factor into it -- put the rookies in the game, roll the dice, and let's just see how they play. We have nothing to lose, because we already know we can't stop the Packers with the defense we've been playing -- and now without our best player for the next 6 weeks.
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,054 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,300ß
    I'd say McClellon and Peppers.

Conte is not great, but giving a real pass rush he would be better than he is. Our secondary is horrible, not just conte. He just stands out
  4. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    The whole freakin' Dline is killing us.. Peppers, Shea, Melton, Collins, Wotton...

Besides if Shea is playing over Cornwash it must mean that the coaches doesn't think CornWash would be an upgrade over Shea.
  5. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    Peppers is terrible,too. But the big scoring plays are against Conte. If he EVER breaks up a TD pass in the end zone this season, it will be his first. When Nelson catches TD pass, Conte will be a couple steps away. I guarantee it.
  6. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    If that is what they think, they may be wrong. Nothin' to lose -- I say PROVE IT! Play CornWash, damn it!
  7. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    Yes and we might be wrong aswell. I know you wanna see him get some action and I also want to see him get action but because he have earned it. Coaches may be wrong but they also may be right. They get to watch the pratices and watch game tape over and over we don't. CornWash didn't have any flashy plays doing the preseason nor did he have on the few snaps he have gotten..
    Don't get me wrong I understand where you're coming from but I just don't think CornWash is better than Shea, at least not now.
  8. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    I hear all that, but I am not going to be satisfied til I see it with my own eyes. I'm a born skeptic.
  9. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    Biggest Regression: DE Shea McClellin

Full disclosure: This is the first year I’ve done these grades, so to categorize McClellin as a “regressIon” I have to be a little more subjective when considering his performance from last season. But I did see every snap McClellin played last year and I’d say he was an average rookie with upside if he could get stronger. So it’s safe to say the -1.57 grade I have him at so far this year is worse than that. It’s also the worst grade on the team through seven games. I certainly believe Phil Emery is much better at scouting talent and grading players than I am, but I simply disagree with his assessment that McClellin has shown improvement this season. According to Pro Football Focus, McClellin has exactly 14 pressures on 187 pass rushes for a pass rush productivity of 5.7 (by the way, they have Peppers at 5.4). For reference, the leader is St. Louis’ Robert Quinn with a PRP of 15.2. Total pressures can be argued because they include sacks, hits and hurries (which are subjective), but even if you add a few more pressures to McClellin’s total, he’s simply not playing at a level required for a 4-3 defensive end, especially one in a zone-based scheme that requires the front-four to get home.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/10/25/hoge-almost-midseason-bears-grades-awards/
    • Like Like x 1
  10. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    Could Cornelius Washington be the edge rusher the Chicago Bears need?
    By Lester A. Wiltfong Jr.@wiltfongjr on Mar 21 2014, 2:16p 40

[​IMG]
    The Chicago Bears have added two new starting free agent defensive ends while watching last year's starters move on to NFC North rivals. The Bears still need an edge rusher, but could he be already on the roster? Do they have high hopes for Cornelius Washington?

TWEET (11) SHARE (38)  SHARE 40 COMMENTS
    Last year the Chicago Bears drafted a high ceiling type player when they plucked the ultra-athletic DE/OLB Cornelius Washington out of Georgiain the 6th round. Bears fans were intrigued by his measureables, however his lack of eye popping college statistics tempered expectations.

He seemed like a project at the time, and his lack of playing time seemed to bolster that thought. He was only active for six games, totaling 10 defensive snaps and one special teams snap in two games played. The Bears either had enough faith in his talent to keep him on the 53 man roster all season long or they had enough fear that he'd be stolen off their practice squad if left unprotected. Either way, he garnered valuable time with the team.

Could he be a breakout player for the Bears this season?

Stranger things have happened in professional sports, so you can't write him off.

If you think having an unspectacular rookie year equates to a ho-hum career, I'll peek in the Bears history book to find a few guys that did OK.

Third round draft pick Steve McMichael only played in six games as a Patriot rookie, yet went on to rack up 95 sacks as a pro.

Adewale Ogunleye was an undrafted free agent pick up by the Miami Dolphins in 2000 and as a rookie he had 1 tackle and a half a sack in seven games. He went on to appear in a Pro Bowl for them and also added 42 sacks in six seasons for the Bears.

Israel Idonije was an undrafted pick up of the Cleveland Browns in 2003 when the Bears signed him away from their practice squad. He made the Bears roster the following season and has had a very productive NFL career.

The league is full of players at every position that started their careers slowly, yet ended up finding their niche. Of course there are even more players that came in to the NFL with a whimper and went out even quieter. But if your're gonna gamble on a prospect, it may as well be a prospect with a high ceiling.

Washington has the kind of athleticism that made his selection in the sixth round a value pick according to many scouts. He could be a bona fide impact player in the NFL, he just needs to be coached up.

To put his combine performance in perspective I've charted out his performance next to this year's top defensive end prospect Jadeveon Clowney. I know I'm going to get some skimmers that think I'm trying to show that Washington is as good a prospect as Clowney, so please realize that isn't the case. I just want to point out his measurables when compared to a well known freakish athlete.

HeightWeightArmsHands40 yd10 ydBenchVertBroad
    Cornelius
    Washington
    6' 4" 265 34" 9 1/2" 4.55 1.60 36 39" 128"
    Jadeveon
    Clowney
    6' 5 1/4" 266 34 1/2" 10" 4.53 1.56 21 37 1/2" 124"

It's safe to say that athletically speaking, Washington is right up there with Clowney. But while Washington was a 6th round draft pick, Clowney is being discussed as the possible top pick overall.

From a technical standpoint, Washington was obviously way behind, and part of that is just actual game experience. He was recruited to Georgia to play as a 4-3 defensive end, but the team had a scheme change to a 3-4 which prompted the coaches to try to make an outside linebacker out of him.

He went from a freshman 4-3 defensive lineman to a 3-4 OLB as a sophomore and junior, then to a 3-4 defensive end as a senior. I think it's safe to say the scheme and position changes stunted his growth as a player.

Scouts really liked his upside coming out of college, with most saying he had to work on his technique. He has the speed and strength necessary to be a productive pass rusher, but he lacked a counter move and he has to get better working with his hands.

Maybe Chicago's new d-line coach, the experienced Paul Pasqualoni, will be able to get through to Washington. The Bears also have hired martial arts expert Joe Kim to help with hand technique, something that Washington needs help with.

What are your expectations for Cornelius Washington in 2014? Do you think he can fight his way into the defensive rotation?

---------
    Physically, the main difference between CornWash and Clowney is that CornWash has speed equal to Clowney but much more power. CornWash did 36 on bench press, which is about as good as it gets. A guy with both speed AND power can both speed rush around the corner or bull rush. What CornWash needs is some good coaching (for a change). Maybe this new DE line coach can get it done.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  11. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,054 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,300ß
    He could be....... if he were any good
    :36_1_11[1]:
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,319 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,494ß
    Well seeing as they decided to bring in Houston and Young and then Izzy, apparently Corny is NOT the Edge rusher the team is looking for; he's now 4th on the depth chart and that's before the draft.
  13. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,054 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,300ß
    Unless he beats out Izzy. Which is possible
    • Like Like x 1
  14. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    155ß
    Keep the faith David. I would love to see him have a breakout year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    The hiring of Pasqualoni and Clint Hurtt should be a great improvement over the DL coaching the Bears had last year. I expect to see a lot of improvement coming from the players due just to these two. Both have a rep of being pretty good technique guys and also very demanding of their players. If the young guys like Washington and Bass don't show some significant improvement under these coaches I don't expect them to be around very long.

I've got super high hopes for both of them. They're fast and athletic as all hell but with marginal football skills as NFL DEs. If either or both of them can breakout as a situational pass rusher we're in even better shape at DE than we appear to be right now. Washington was a 6th round pick and Bass cost us a 7th so we don't have a whole lot invested in them but they need to produce because they won't get the benefit of the doubt and the patience a higher pick with guaranteed money will get. It's kind of now or never for these two.
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,054 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,300ß
    I would love to be proven wrong about C-Wash. But last year gave me nothing to get excited about.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. DavidL

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    My complaint about last year is that he was never given a decent chance to play on the field. Personally, I find it very hard to believe that he would not have done better than McClellin, especially against the run. Bearstuff knows him better than anybody on this forum, and he thinks CornWash would have been a better run stopper. Comparing speed and power with McClellin is man vs. boy. Plus, McClellin ran himself out of position constantly. I am looking forward to hear how CornWash performs in training camp under the new coaches.
  18. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,054 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,300ß
    He must have looked pretty bad in practice to not have gotten a shot. Especially with the crap we had on the DL.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    155ß
    Maybe there was outside influence and Shea was given preference.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,054 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,300ß
    outside influence should not come into play. It should ALWAYS be about talent. Not even a GM who wants his first ever pick to have every chance in the world to succeed would hurt his team like that.