Cornelius Washington

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by DavidL, Aug 29, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    He obviously was a project. Some of these guys never develop into anything and are gone. But sometimes they do benefit from a year in the NFL. C.Wash could still be a good player. It sure would be nice to see him looking solid this year. FWIW I like how DavidL stuck with the guy too.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Determination, lotalty and a refusal to admit you were wrong can go a long way :D
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,450 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    651ß
    Bet on it. It's a lock. ;)
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,450 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    651ß
    Benji, do you recall my comment to you the other day about your naivety? Well it's showing. :D
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,450 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    651ß
    Does anyone else but me have a problem with the guys nickname? CornWash? It sounds like something you'd find outside of a grain silo in Iowa. A coin operated, self service, CornWash. If he starts playing and he really sucks are you guys gonna change that nickname to CornHole?

Common now, be honest with yourselves! :smilebig:
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    I am saying how it SHOULD BE not how it is.

You want to be a coach who is told who to play? I sure as hell wouldn't
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Think you hit the nail on the head tb1, starting a 6th round draft pick rookie over a 2 year "starter" who was drafted 19 ovr would be admitting it was a bad pick and Emery would have to eat his words on Shea being "productive and disruptive." That experiment is over now as Shea is a Sam backer and the DE position is WIDE open. I like Cornys chance as much as any other guy in competition between izzy and young. That competition is a good thing as these 3 will fight for a starting spot and possibly a roster spot, likely bringing out the absolute best in them. As far as last year, c'mon there is no way he could have been any worse overall than Shea. Just by halfway staying in his lane he would have been more productive when you conciser the run d.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. MikeV

MikeV Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    I agree with some of what you say; but how do we explain the playing time for Bass over Corn? Bass was a free agent pickup from Oakland, after cuts and Phil selected Corn in the draft (a full round earlier than Oak selected Bass), yet Bass received a decent amount of pt. It's all a little crazy, my hope it's that after camp and pre-season that Bass and Corn establish themselves as the #3&4 DE's with arrows pointing way up...that would show well for the future of that position.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I think bass is in the same boat as CornWash and either could have done the same as Shea. What seemed to happen was Bass was Tucker's answer for teams repetitively exposing Shea in the run game. Often teams would run a 2 down 1 around power right at Shea or run a snatch zone and he would get reached, or just sprit up field where he would get rode right past the play and open a huge hole. While Bass wasn't a tfl run stuffer he could at least squeeze lanes and make the alley a bit more manageable for our backers than the 37ft alley Shea would leave. CornWash is more likely to be a 3 down guy but Bass isn't horrible either and I expect those two will fight it out for either a starting spot or roster spot pending on izzy's level. Keep in mind though, in a battle like we will see come summer tie usually goes to the draftee.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Mike:

I read an article a while back but never posted on it. I had read that the Bears had actually been quite impressed with Cornwash at times. They felt he did some really great things, but the issue was he also did some not very good things. The issue the article centered on was he could not be counted on because his consistency was not there. That is something that I feel can be worked on. If you are showing glimpses of "great" but don;t all the time and are raw, I think that just needs coaching up. The fact that they kept him backs that up. I think the whole book has not been written on him as of yet. There is still a decent chance he could be a good player. With the right coaching, maybe even special. He has the tools.

I am much happier with the two new assistant coaches and I think Pasqualoni can help him develop.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Those are good points and I'm sure hoping you're right BIH.
  12. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yeah, it's officially the dumbest ****ing piece of **** nickname ever.
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,475 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    276ß
    He's the Rex Grossman of DE's, well at least he he wasn't a 1st round pick and expected to start.
  14. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +602 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    283ß
    McClellin is the Rex Grossman of DE's on this team. I lost confidence in our coaches when they kept McClellin at DE without even trying CornWash. I agree with whoever said that they stuck with McClellin all year just so Emery's face wasn't rubbed in the dirt until everybody was thoroughly convinced that Shea can't do the job.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    If he doesn't improve this year, then by all means move on. But it's not unusual for a guy picked 20th in the 6th round, to not find the field the first season in the NFL. This is typical of 6th and 7th round picks. This guy did not get a lot of playing time at Georgia. He was mostly a 3rd down guy. Here's his scouting report. He's obviously a long shot project. And consequently I'm not shocked that he didn't play his first season. I also wouldn't be shocked if he turned out to be a decent player, even if he's just a solid rotational guy. Here's his scouting report LINK.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,450 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    651ß
    And YOU believe that never happens huh? What color is the sky in your world? That's been going on for years just ask Jerry Jones.

And how did Cornelius Washington ever stir up enough debate for a thread to last for 8 frickin' pages? This I gotta go back to read to see if anyone has begun to call him CornHole yet. :rofl2:
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,450 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    651ß
    I'd say you nailed it here houston! With his measurables the ONLY reason he lasted until the 6th round was his lack of college productivity and as a potential 4-3 DE he was more raw than a freshly ground sirloin. The Bears kept him on the roster and not the PS for fear of losing him so they do see some upside in him. My personal opinion is that the overall coaching of the defense last year was atrocious so now at least we have a new DL coach and a new LB coach but unfortunately not a new DC. On a brighter note Pasqualoni has the ability to be one should Tucker fail that miserably again.

If, with some decent coaching he shows no signs of progressing he won't be kept around much longer. They can't afford to keep him on the roster in lieu of another player like Izzy, or Scott or Lane who can provide vet backup. Last year he took up a roster spot in place of someone who might have contributed and I don't see that happening again. He needs to play for his pay this year.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +602 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    283ß
    This is make-or-break year for CornWash. I may be shopping for a new "adopted Bear" by end of preseason.....
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,845 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    On the other hand, if this guy would develop into a good player this year (even though it's a long shot) I figure I may buy his jersey. I love underdogs who overcome the odds to make a team. The Bears have had a few really good examples of this over the years. I do love those guys. I'm going to have fun watching this guy at training camp this year (assuming he makes it that far and doesn't get cut after the draft). I'll try to get his autograph too. It shouldn't be too hard. DavidL and I will probably be the only guys queued up to get his autograph :-)

[​IMG]