Could Fuller be a Safety ????

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 13, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,266ß
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,266ß
    This could justify why the Bears may be interested in Fuller and then have Peanuts replacement on the team. Just a thought
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +504 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    Ya know, this could be. From what I saw on him he has great ball skills and could maybe adjust to be the rangy FS we need. He shows good ability to come up and make tackles so I guess its a possibility. I don't like drafting players with the preconceived plan to move them to a different position, but it could possibly work here.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,437 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,460ß
    Could be. And maybe they just see him more as a stellar safety prospect rather than as a CB at the NFL level. It seems like the position of safety has evolved to far greater importance for modern defenses. It's critically important (I think) for the Bears to no longer have the vulnerability there. The better QB's we face know how to exploit us there, and this won't end until we seriously fix the position. Maybe the Bears see Fuller as a real stud at safety, who can seriously upgrade a position where we've failed to have a stud in a number of years. But who knows? It's all just guesswork on our part.
  5. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +336 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    190ß
    Fuller can be anything he wants as long as we trade back to get him
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,183 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,125ß
    Didn't they say that about everybody's favorite whipping boy Conte?
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,616 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    659ß
    Read this from Pompei.

Dear Phil, BAD IDEA!
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,437 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,460ß
    You have a point. Sometimes the position change works, and sometimes it doesn't. I just hope the guys making these decisions make good ones. We've all seen some guys moved when they transition to the NFL from college and it's worked out well. Some have been disasters. Whether or not Fuller is that guy who shines at safety (or CB for that matter), who knows. I do know one thing. If Emery, Trestman & Tucker, gets this all sorted out, and we end up with a solid defense this year, I'm going to be a mighty happy camper.

And I've been pretty hard on Conte and Shea, but I do hope they both work out just fine this year. I'm not hating on either guy. I just want them to play well for the Bears this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    If I'm converting a CB to S, it's Jean-Baptiste or McGill.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Kind of thought the same myself. As physical as Fuller may have been in college being physical at Safety and being physical at CB are two different things. I believe Fuller needs to add some size or some muscle just to play CB in the way that Peanut does so the leap to Safety may be even greater.

We've tried this CB to Safety thing twice already. It put one guy out of the NFL for good and the other is struggling to adapt and out for 4-5 months with a shoulder surgery he didn't get from just rolling off his couch onto the floor. I can't see the sense to taking a top pick and taking the kind of risk involved that Pompei suggests.

If there's a CB out there who is shy on the speed or skills to play CB who might convert nicely to Safety let's not spend a first round pick on him when there are guys in later rounds to try that experiment with. Especially since there are already decent Safety prospects woven throughout the first three rounds.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +504 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß

I agree completely Soul. Absolutely no need to spend a first round, or even top half pick on someone we are going to try to move to a new position. That Veerne guy form Minn in the 6th would be a guy that we can bring in and try a few different positions. If we want a safety in the 1st, lets take a safety in the first. Theres an idea.
    • Like Like x 1