Could the Bears go CB in the first round? Kyle Fuller anyone?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by dabears, Apr 9, 2014.

1. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Biggs tweeted yesterday the Bears had Kyle Fuller at Halas Hall yesterday. He does really well against the run and seems solid in pass coverage. Worth a shot?

https://twitter.com/BradBiggs/status/453521257846145024

Virginia Tech CB Kyle Fuller is visiting #Bears today at Halas Hall per NFL source

Other links:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...mate-first-round-option-for-the-chicago-bears

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-tech-cb-kyle-fuller-meets-with-chicago-bears

They might even be able to trade down and pick up Fuller with a low 20's pick.
  2. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I would rule out anyone the Bears bring in.
    The last 2 years no one had an idea that they would take Shea and Kyle
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Lol I won't even guess what Phil is up to. Who knows and anything is possible. Maybe Fuller, maybe Jernigan, maybe a punter who the hell knows
    • Like Like x 1
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    14 seems a bit early for Fuller.
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß

I see this as Emery covering his base and "looking off" other GMs so to speak. He seems like he leaves no stone unturned and I'm sure has a separate board in case of a sweet trade down option. Fuller would top the board with Jerrigan and Hageman in the 22-30 range.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Completely false. Both of them visited Halas in pre-draft visits. That makes the odds 100% at this point.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This I could see with Fuller in the 22-30 range. He is a very active run defender around the line but has to pick up his back pedal on man to man coverage. At 5.11 1/2 he should be able to cover most of the large receivers in the NFC North but his 40 time wasn't great. This is a scenario where you would need a great center fielder to compliment him along with a strong pass rush.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    462ß
    If all of the other top prospects are gone he may be OK but not at #14. If we traded back in one I'd much rather we took Fuller than Hageman or Nix. In the 20s Jernigan might come into play again but of the two I think Fuller would be the better choice.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    462ß
    Only if the ghost of Al Davis is sending up the pick. LOL
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    462ß
    I'd agree and of those three I'd be tempted to make it Fuller. I never did like Hageman and Jernigan seems to me like a duplication of Paea. More of a NT who can play some DT and I like the way Paea can get off quickly on the snap.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    462ß
    He's a notch or two below Gilbert and Dennard but since we play far more zone than man he should be able to handle it but the dude needs to add some bulk and muscle without losing any speed. If he's a savvy enough player his speed won't kill him. Peanut was never the fastest guy either.
  12. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This would seem to be the prototypical Emery "under the radar" pick.

I trust Emery and I have absolute faith in him. I would be perfectly fine with us taking Fuller or anyone else with the #14 pick especially after reading the Bleacher Report article on Fuller.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    462ß
    If Hageman is my "Oh shit" pick Fuller is more like my "cringe pick" at #14. He won't start this year and he needs to add about 10lbs of lean muscle to play in the NFL and go up against the big boys. He's Gilbert Lite in the size department and isn't the complete package Gilbert is either but he can play in a zone coverage scheme and I'm sure that's why he's on their "I'm interested" list.

If we were picking in the 20s I'd say he might be worth it there but at #14 I would think you'd want a more ready to go day one guy if you're taking a DB and I don't see that with him. I think if whoever drafts him expected him to start this year they'd be disappointed. He needs some development some before he's ready and to me in a CB that means he's not a high day one pick.
  14. abegibronlives

abegibronlives Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

I agree. Dennard of Gilbert perhaps.
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +983 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I agree. As I've posted before you don't take the 3rd best CB (who won't start) at #14 and Fuller clearly is the 3rd best. You take the 1st best 3T or the 1st best FS or maybe you take the 1st/2nd best CB or you damn well better trade down.

I'd be really disappointed in Emery if he took a 2nd tier player at a position of lesser immediate end by the way, at the #14 pick. That would scream Dre Kilpatrick to me.
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    462ß
    I'll add something more here. For everyone who says that Emery doesn't follow the crowd I'd say no he doesn't. He takes guys that absolutely blew people away with their athleticism and potential as pros. Both McClellin and Long possessed those traits and if we all turn our memories back to last year we can recall that is exactly what Emery said about Long after he drafted him while we all sat around scratching our heads over why he took a 2nd round guy in one. Well it paid off. Long is all that and a bag of chips.

I suspect that had McClellin not been forced into playing as a 248lb (soaking wet) 4-3 LDE we might have seen far more of what he's capable of doing too. We've seen flashes of it and despite his being up against OTs he was poorly matched against his pass rushing stats in all but sacks were nearly equal to Peppers. It was his run play where he was getting destroyed and I'd assume that would happen more often than not when he was being asked to match up with guys that outweighed him by 75lbs and more and were often 3" taller.

He may turn out to be a bust as a 4-3 OLB as well but at least now he'll have fighting chance to show what he can do and if he still doesn't succeed then we'll probably replace him and maybe some 3-4 team will pick him up and every one will see that's what he was built to play in and Phil just made another boo boo when he drafted him and expected him to fit his ideas of where and how he should play. Maybe it was a mistake but I'll give Phil credit for acknowledging those he's made.

So with all of this past history (all two years of it) who in this draft, at a position he'd like to fill, is the most similar prospect to McClellin and Long? If it's a DL it has to be Donald with Hageman a very distant second and I really hope it stays that way. As DBs I'd say Gilbert and Dix might come close but I doubt they'll last until #14 and there's at least a 50/50 chance that with all the hype and praise Donald is getting he may not last either. But if he does, and based on how Phil drafts, you have to think he's one of the top guys for his pick.
    • Like Like x 3