cowboys release ratliff

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by beardownboilerup, Oct 16, 2013.

1. beardownboilerup

beardownboilerup Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,048 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,290ß
    He is a defensive tackler. Our DL sucks..... and our DTs cannot get the job done.

Bring in everyone you can
  3. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,048 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,290ß
    then again.... reading this

Not sure he is worth the trouble, despite our desperation at DT
  4. irishways

irishways Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    625ß
    C'mon. He got in a fight with JJ. How many players/ coaches were cheering him inside.

Things here are not a circus. The Bears need help at DT. Peae is coming back soon. Woot on could kick back outside and switch Peppers and McClellan if it's run or pass.
  5. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,048 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,290ß
    It is the lack of logic I am concerned with.

Just after a teammate drives drunk and kills another teammate, you are going to go ahead and get a DUI?

Lack of logic, common sense is what I have an issue with.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,362 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    391ß
    Ratliff is on the downside of his career (he hasn't been good in a couple years) and he's also been hurt. Not to mention the behavioral stuff. I realize than anyone you sign at this point is going to be somewhat of a turd player but I'd rather take a chance on a young guy like Austin who's talented and physically capable but has had motivational underperformance thus far. Maybe just maybe being cut a few times has changed his attitude and work ethic a bit. Probably not, but at least there's a chance at upside there which there isn't with Ratliff. I doubt emery is at all interested in JR.
  7. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Ratliff is the kinda turd we need to take... Unless you find a hidden gem (doubtful) you flush it the end of the season.

Those that do, do... we would only get those that "might" do in season.

Unknowns have less upside than the "has beens" at this point, IMO. UDFA's and practice squad prospects have more long term benefits but you'd be dang lucky to see any filled position not significantly decline for the games that matter right now.

My unpopular opinion in the matter is that the staff's energy would be better spent adjusting how were are using the people we have instead of counting on a new addition. If Emery can pull a rabbit out of his hat, you take it... besides that, 1.) Adjust 2.) Promote from within and keep using the next man up philosophy.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +693 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    401ß
    Jay Ratliff's agent says unrealistic expectations set by calling injury a sports hernia. Said groin muscle ripped off bone, tendons torn.

His production was steadily dropping off and this injury now essentially ends his career.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,362 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    391ß
    I would work out Austin and sign him if he checks out physically. Even to the PS. The guy does have potential if he gets his attitude in the right place and starts working harder. And we will need depth at DT going forward (I'm thinking beyond this season alone). If he continues sucking, cut him loose next year in preseason and nothing is lost.
  10. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    We actually need depth at DT, right?

I think Im in agreement with most here, we do not need another Pace.

Austin is still out there, so he is not going to demand anything other than a Vet Min I would think.
  11. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,202 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    574ß
    For Ratliff, if he can even make it back to the field, or for Austin we would need a strong locker room leader on defense to set the tone and set the expectations. As much as the coaches would like to think they set the tone, it's the player's buying in & more importantly THE player buying in to set the tone.

I'm not sure we have that player (and even if we do in Briggs or Tillman) and I'm not sure we have the buy in.

Therefore, I view the risks to be greater than the rewards on either of these two guys.

That said, if we sign either, my only response will be "grab the reigns and get to pulling".
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,362 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    391ß
    Ratliff's agent came out and said his client can't play at all this year so that's the end of that.
    Austin is still worth a look as a possible depth player for the future. If he gets lazy or cops an attitude, insta-cut.