crazy watkins on board

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 13, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    I had to do it
    upload_2014-3-13_20-48-1.png
    • Like Like x 1
  3. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    220ß
    If we actually had those 2 for our first and second round selections that would be unbelievable. Seriously. Unbelievable.
  4. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    Love every pick dude!:36_1_55[1]:
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,656 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Well Marshal is out the door next year if that happens, no restructure, no new bears contract for him when the Bears get Watkins.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,656 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    btw, i forgot what that site was, and how much fun it is:

I did straight BPA based on need(ie I took the highest player on the board at a need position while skipping WR/RB). The DB's get let out to dry but the front 7 should do just fine, and the addition of Amaro to an already stacked O and a legit backup qb in Murray makes the O deadly even if Cutler goes down for a few games.

ILB C.J. MOSLEY
    ALABAMA

TE JACE AMARO
    TEXAS TECH

DE TREVOR REILLY
    UTAH

DT WILL SUTTON
    ARIZONA STATE

QB AARON MURRAY
    GEORGIA

S HAKEEM SMITH
    LOUISVILLE

CB ANDRE HAL
    VANDERBILT
  7. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    but also, i love that Lewan guy, i think hes gonna be a star
  8. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    What game is this? I wanna play!!!!
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,656 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    78ß
    Mosley, Jernigan, Jean-Baptiste as 1-2-3 and Murray as the 5th. BPA in between.
  11. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    u really think jernigan will last till 51, not much chance
  12. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +48 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    78ß
    Yea - but I can dream!
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Is this for real or just a wet dream?

If Sammy Watkins is still on the board at #14 and Jernigan at #51 I'll :4_17_11[1]:. But this one leads me to ask what you're smoking and to say "Don't Bogy That Joint", I'd love a toke or two so I can dream like this too.

With Marshall and Jeffery, arguably the best WR combo in the NFL last year, why would you draft Watkins when there are far bigger needs on defense? Where would you play him? Continuing to add unneeded depth at an offensive position that doesn't need it vs restocking a 31st ranked defense is the kind of thing I expect from bottom feeders not teams looking to win championships. You need a dominant defense to do that and the Bears couldn't be any farther away from that than they are right now.
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    Are you serious. You would not take a top 5 with the 14th pick if he is on the board no matter what. Its a luxury but some talent you just have to take. Did the Packers need Rogers when they took him. Abolutely not Favre was still kicking ASS. Turned out to be pretty smart move as the Packers continue to control / dominate the NFC North while apparently>>>>

• Like Like x 1
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,656 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    I would hope to all that is good that Emery would shop that pick first, THEN decide to stay or not.
    If he stays hell ya you take Watkins, and you know what that does; free up cap space next year when you let Marshall walk instead of paying him througout the nose like you had to w/Cutler b/c you didn't have anyone that could possibly replace him.
    If he finds a trade partner then hell ya you move back and don't think twice about it. There are plenty of good DE/DT's that can be had in the late 1st early 2nd, and no doubt you'll get "equivelent trade value" for Watkins.

You'd be a dammed fool not to take him or trade back and completely ignore the board just to go w/"need".
  16. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    I like Fanspeak draft for fun but the player rankings under fanspeak not very realistic. Need to use Walters or the other option scouts something.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    Watkins should be going to Lovie at #7 for Tampa.
  18. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Yes I am and don't call me Shirley.......oh wait a minute that's from another movie. LOL

Yes I am serious and the Packers took Rodgers with the 24th pick of the first round not the 14th and he's a QB not a WR. You win because of your QB not your WRs and Favre was nearing retirement, or so they thought. :rolleyes:

I also have no idea what their other needs might have been at that time. That's a question for a Packer Fan and I aren't one. But I have quite a few old work and softball buddies in GB plus two daughters and a grandson who are. I can slide you their numbers if you like. They'd know. ;)

No I would not take Sammy Watkins over filling a position of need as long as I believe the player I was drafting was more useful for my needs and therefore of better value to my team. There are only so many passes that can be thrown in a game and we already have a top WR duo, a very good pass catching TE, a competent slot guy and the best receiving RB in the NFL. How many catches will Sammy get next year? BSB if you don't have a defense that can stop anybody (like last year) and put the ball back in the hands of the offense what good are all those shiny offensive tools gonna do you?

You and I have different drafting philosophies. I think we both recognize that. Neither is better or worse than the other, just different because we place different values on the scheme and players to play it. As an example. I value pass rushers over pass defenders because I think like Buddy Ryan. If you put a time clock on the QB and don't give him time to go through his progressions he won't do as much damage as he will if you do give him time. No matter how good your DBs are they can't cover everyone forever. Aaron Rodgers is living proof of that. And fast pass rushers can also contain mobile QBs and with team playing more read option that also becomes more important. Somebody needs to chase those f'ckers around and it isn't gonna be 320lb behemoth NTs.

As an NFL GM I would not as a matter of practice take the BPA over meeting a higher need so long as I was getting what I felt was equal value for my team. In the instance you describe Sammy Watkins doesn't do me as much good as a top DT or FS because I have enough pass catcher's but lack pass rushers and defenders. If I draft Sammy then I should trade on of the others. Who would you trade. One of the best up and coming pass catchers in the NFL or a guy whose been a top five NFL WR his entire career? We know what each of these guys can do and that they were thought by many to be the best pass receiving tandem in the NFL this past year even playing with a backup QB for 5 games. Sammy may be all that and a bag of chips but he's still an untested WR as far as the NFL goes.

So me, I'll stick with my guys at WR and use that #14 choice to take my guy there as well and let someone else feel the got the bargain of the decade when Sammy Watkins falls to #15. :cheers:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    I agree with most of what you said and not so sure our philosophies our so different. I want a good DL and pass rush I just do not value Donald as much as you do. I question how much more upside he has and believe with bigger and stronger O-linemen he will not be as effective and think his ceiling is reached. He is very strong ( 29 reps I think he did) so adding much more bulk will only stiffen him and slow him down, he has already addded 15 to 20 pounds over his game weight so adding more weight will probably be detrimental. He may be the best now but I expect in a couple seasons one of the other DT's who has more upside will turn out to be the greater value as they can still put on a few more pounds and strength. I guess in the end I am always learry of a DT going from 4th or 5th best DT on the board to the best DT based on 1 game (SR. Bowl) and the the combine. I agree everything looks good about him, but I keep looking for fault because of his ranking change. I just am not buying into it and if we get him I hope I am proven wrong. I am all for getting a DLinemen I just do not see the big gap in quality that you perceive and am pretty sure the high end of Jernigan, Quarles, and probably Hageman will be greater than Donalds. Just my opinion.

With respect to Watkins, I agree he is a total luxury. It would give us more flexibility next yr though when Marshall's contract is up, protect us against injury this year. Watkins is never going to fall to us anyway so this is all a mute point. The bigger question is who will fall and would they be worth it.
    • Like Like x 1