Critical lapses crushing Bears defense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Nov 13, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,139 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,493ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!

Not sure you can compare losing 1 qb, to losing 7 guys on Def. Ignore GB altogether, how they have drafted over the last several years has set them up far better then the Bears are.

As for how they started off playing, you are correct MP, but Peppers had not played all pre season b/c of an inj, and Melton went out 3 games into the season, and he also didn't play in pre season b/c of a concussion. So of course Peppers and Melton were going to start off slow, Henry was hurt before he could even start to get going(less then 4 games), Peppers age has straight caught up w/him, he's never going to get hot and stay hot. It's not like we got to see this team 100% healthy and up and running from the get go.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,095 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,497ß
    I'm not saying Tucker is good - or bad. But no defensive unit can lose as many players as we have to injury - and be anything but bad. Injuries happen to all teams. But we've been especially hurt on defense. This morning I went back and looked over the starters on offense and defense, in our first games of the season. Cutler is our key injury on offense, and he'll be back soon. But when I looked over the defense, it was pretty shocking. Keep in mind we lost our "Cutler" on defense before the season began, when we moved on from future Hall of Famer Urlacher. Before folks savage me by saying he was needing replacement, please note that I fully agree with letting him go. But he was the QB of our defense, which is now a new guy Bostic. There is no way Bostic sets a defense like a HOF veteran. And this first loss, was before the first man dropped to injury this season.

The equivalent on offense would be losing 3 or 4 of our offensive linemen (high caliber guys like Bushrod, Kyle Long & maybe Slauson), Cutler, Forte, Brandon Marshall & Alshon Jeffery - in one season.

Think about that. Let it soak in.

Tucker could be the worst coach ever to walk planet earth. But no coach can make chicken salad out of the chicken crap we now have on defense. Ain't gonna happen. So, when folks rant about the defense, I take it with a grain of salt. There are some heavy-hitting uncontrollable factors in this equation that crippled us. No Cornelius Washington is going to salvage our season after losing guys - multiple Pro Bowl level guys - and other key (vitally key) players we've lost. It's reality. Of course folks don't want to accept reality. I guess it's just the world we live in now.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +3,209 / 12 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,170ß
    JABF, I can think of many teams that have had a rash of injuries and have kept going. Some better than others. I can also think of several teams that have lost their starting QB and that was the end of their season. I think that losing your starting QB can be just as bad (and in some cases moreso) than losing a bunch of other players.

But that's just me. I could be wrong. And often am....

• Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,139 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,493ß
    That's all I'm saying JABF, imo the guy gets an icomplete b/c there is no way you can know what you have in him until he has a chance to have a full offseason to set up HIS Def scheme and have a run w/a MOSTLY healthy set of key payers.
    Imgaine if we had brougth in Bushrod and he was just to old(like how we got Pace), that would be what we have in Peppers right now
    Losing Melton and Collins(1a/1b starters), guys that break down the film say Collins is every bit as good as Melton is, really is like losing Slauson and, at least Garza maybe Long.
    Losing Briggs and DJ is like losing Cutler and DaBU
    Losing Tillman is like losing Marshal
    Losing Shea is like losing Mills

How would this O look wL
    OL: Pace, Brown, Boggs, Long, Britton
    skill players: McCown, Jeffery, Earl, Rosario and Forte

Think this O is still ranking in, or near the top 10?

5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,095 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,497ß
    But my point is the level & importance of the key players lost was especially devastating. This wasn't the normal rash of injuries. Losing Tillman was the final straw. I can never remember a season like this. Of course I'm old and my memory is spotty at best now :)

6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,095 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,497ß
    That's my take on it too, Ric. And while letting Urlacher go was the right idea (I fully supported that decision and still do), there is no way Bostic can QB a defense like a veteran Hall of Fame level guy. Bostic is still trying to figure out his OWN game right now (some good plays, some inept plays that rookies all make).

Then you lump the injuries in. Stir that all together, and you come up with what we now have - a bad defense that NO coach could overcome. None.

Finally, I do like your suggestion that Tucker gets an "incomplete" for this season's grade. He may be a horrible coach - but how do we know? Give the guy some players, and see if he can coach. Right now we're talking about the mighty CornWalsh being our last hope. How dysfunctional is THAT?????

• Like Like x 1
  7. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +399 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    200ß
    The defense really looks bad, but there is simply no way you can have that many injuries and look good.

But, if we can get Briggs and Ratliff playing again before it is too late, plus getting the rookies sooo much play time is going to make them better.

There is still a glimer of hope that the Defense can improve to the point that they are acceptable, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,139 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,493ß
    We'll have to see what Ratliff looks like, he hasn't been much, even before the inj over the last few years. But ANYTHING is better then having Wootton play DT and forcing Shea and Bass to be 1st/backup.

9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,095 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,497ß
    The good thing here is that next season, after Emery works his magic & restocks the cupboard with some real talent, AND we have these young guys who are getting priceless game reps THIS year - well, it should be a real turnaround on defense. Like we saw with our offense THIS year. I am encouraged by that thought.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,755 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    820ß
    I think that's the only hope left to salvage something defensively this season. I don't expect Ratliff to play at pro bowl level but if he can be just moderately good (and help stuff the inside runs which have killed us this year) that will make a big difference. As you mentioned, moving Wootton back outside where he's best suited (and he did a reasonable decent job as a DT for a guy who doesn't belong there size-wise) improves two positions at once. That's my optimistic hope anyway.

I have no illusions that this team is SB bound or even can make a deep playoff run but yeah I'd like to see them still make it somehow. Thanks to screwups vs Detroit X 2 and Washington, we need to pretty much win 6 out of the last 7 and get some help. Not likely but the Ratiff/Briggs/Woot/Cutler-back scenario is the only faint hope left.

• Like Like x 2