Critical lapses crushing Bears defense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +2,633 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,289ß
    yeah. Me too
  2. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +767 / 7 / -25
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,305ß
    Tucker deliberately left Megatron single-covered from the 14 yd. line?? Unbelievable. And did Tillman realize he had no help deep? It didn't seem that way when I looked at it on replay. Tillman was playing him tight, and Johnson easily blew by him. With no deep help, it is suicidal for any CB to do that with Megatron. He's too strong and fast.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    DavidL, that is how Tillman has been on CJ for years and it's worked, what would guys like Conte or Wrong had done to stop that pass?
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,687 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,687 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    775ß
    I've continually mentioned how good the Detroit Lions offensive line is, but here's a little bit of evidence to help my case. For this defensive line to play as well as they did against Detroit, with 3 defensive linemen out, indicates to me that Tucker's D is starting to take off.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    Yep they got a stud OL, the Bears is good, but it's a few years away from being like that. I was actually impressed that they had pretty much held CJ and Bush in check mos the day.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yeah, for what we expected they did a hell of a job. We all know where the blame lies for the Detroit loss and its not in tuckers lap. As an aside, I quite frankly like seeing a younger defense, even if it takes some injuries to get there. My reasoning is this: a lot of defensive plays rely on being violent and aggressive. Although we might mask those words with 'athleticism' and 'closing speed' etc. at the end of the day the point of the defense is to physically stop the other team from moving the ball down the field. We all watched Urlacher from a young age until his retirement and although he was still good until the end(much better in hindsight, would go back and resign him in a flash), do you remember those early days? Lightning in cleats sideline to sideline endzone to endzone. I want more of THAT energy. I see it in Bostic, others see it in Cornwash
    Even if this defense had no injuries we might not be better off for it, especially as pointed out these guys are getting some real playing time, which is far more important than their draft rank or pool jumping abilities.
    I will always have a place in my heart for Tillman though. So many of those damn punches have swung games our way he'll be sorely missed. It would be sweet if the Bears could just keep him around as a third down shutdown guy, if not for megatron only. I thought the same thing about Urlacher, it's a shame there are no graceful exits in professional football.
  9. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +767 / 7 / -25
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,305ß
    The fact remains, CJ smoked him on that play. That's not the first time our CB's have been beaten deep with no safety in sight. AJ Green comes to mind, for example. I know Conte sucks, but he could at least get his butt over there and try to do something.
  10. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,367 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    394ß
    Ok so at this point there is slim pickin's in the draft for CB as well as FA. We have ZERO depth and if we don't keep Jennings then what? The DL needs a massive overhaul as well as a safety or two along with depth there. There is only so much $ and picks to go around.

To me it's almost a must to sign both starting corners. Draft a SS and a CB and perhaps repeat that in FA for basic depth just to flesh out the DB corps.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    All CB's get smoked occasionally by the BEST WR's in the game, Hall, Nambi, Woodson, Tillman you name them, and I guarantee you they've gotten beat by the likes of Moss, Fitz, AJohsnson and Green, and ya Calvin too. That doesn't mean that you EXPECT your CB that has found a way to neutralize the in the past to get smoked.

Try what? Try and take your best coverage guy OFF one of the best WR's in the game at the end of the game and have one of your 2 safeties cover him, one of the two guys that is actively working their way OFF the team next year? Or better yet, have them in the same area to get in Tillmans way? Again do you understand they were throwing to their TE's and other WR's who were making plays? It's hard to call for double coverage when the QB isn't over targeting 1 guy.

You cannot go back and say it didn't work therefore it's the wrong call. CJ was held to under 100 yards w/Tillman has his primary defender. That's a pretty poor game for him, he got his 2nd TD in the final minutes of the game off an undefendable pass(high and at the sideline) and amazing catch(only CJ is getting his hands on that ball and he kept his hands high so no one could swipe at the b all). No amount of coverage from other DB's is stopping that play.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    Well the primary backup is Bowman, who is now starting and he's an FA next year also...
  13. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    268ß
    I don't agree with the article. The defense held up and kept the points down. The offense did not put the points on the board. Could the D have done better? Sure, they could have.

Tucker did better than Trestman this week, even with some of the poor coverage calls. Tough to say, but defense played beyond all of the injuries this past week. It makes the loss even more distasteful.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    Do we try to keep Melton? I mean Collins looked like he was up and coming, but Meltons injury might just keep his price reasonable.
    We still need to see if Ratliff can do anything, and if by the end of the season he is starting to get into form do you try and keep him?

So if you can head into the draft with Melton, Collins and Ratliff do you really need to focus on DT in the early rounds?

DE is another story completely and also CB.
    CB- I hope that we could get one of our starters back, because replacing two CBs could take a couple of years with rookies, or a lot of money in FA.

DE- You have to worry because Peppers will not be back, Shea has only had 1 good game, Wootton is really the only guy that is able to get after the passer. Bass has shown some flashes, but he is not a 7-10 sack guy, and if we stay with the 4-3 you need two guys that can get after the passer.

Then of course we have to worry about QB.

Wow, I do not want to be Emery and T-man this off season, it is not going to be easy.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,365 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,359ß
    +1

Calvin Johnson is going to do some damage, even against the best CB's. That's a given. The bottom-line is that we held an explosive team to 21 points and yet couldn't win. If we want to "run with the big boys" in the NFL, then we have to score more than 21 points in big games like this. That's a given too.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    645ß
    Yeah, I'm no fan of Tucker but the D wasn't the reason we fumbled away a key game at home. Holding them to 21 (and Reggie Bush to just one big play) was a very respectable performance for a group devastated by injuries. Simply put, you gotta score more than 19 points on your home field there.

The run blocking was pretty bad (Garza looked like old Garza again).
    Red Zone opportunities were squandered. (Does Jay Cutler want to lead the league in INTs from inside the 5?)
    And there were some "questionable" (i.e., dumb) decisions/calls by the HC that hurt us.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,367 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    394ß
    Despite his semi-resurgence Garza needs to go after this season. If Peanut is in the cut line b/c of performance drop off then Garza should be first.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    Garza should have been last year, but the team had no intention of having Cutler get used to a new Center along w/a new everything else. Garza should be the first let go in the offseason.
  19. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +234 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    666ß
    I dont know what to make of this mess on DEFENSE ...

all I know is we got hit by THE BUG .. and so did alot of other teams ...

can we pull our way out of this ?

We'll just have to take to the field ...