Crossbar dunking celebration banned by NFL

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by little bear, Mar 25, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +994 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000336754/article/crossbar-dunking-celebration-banned-by-nfl

Crossbar dunking celebration banned by NFL

Just in time for Tony Gonzalez's retirement, the NFL is doing away with the future Hall of Famer's patented post-touchdown dunk celebration.
    NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino told the "Dan Patrick Show" on Tuesday that dunking over the crossbar will be penalized, starting in the 2014 season.

There already was a rule in place against using the football as a prop in celebrations. Penalizing dunks is an enforcement of the existing rule, as opposed to a new rule on the books.

"We grandfathered in some, the Lambeau Leap and things like that. But dunking will come out," Blandino said. "Using the ball as a prop or any object as a prop, whether that's the goal post, the crossbar, that will come out and that will be a foul next season."

It's perhaps no coincidence that Blandino's revelation comes at a time when the NFL's Competition Committee is considering raising the goal posts by 5 feet.

After watching Jimmy Graham rock the crossbar off kilter last season, the league might have decided it would be easier to wreak havoc on raised goal posts, affecting game momentum and player safety.

As for Gonzalez, he's already weighed in.

Tony Gonzalez @TonyGonzalez88 Follow

The NFL says no more dunking over the goalpost. This one I don't understand. Looks like I got out just in time.
    6:47 PM - 25 Mar 2014

--------------------
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    The No Fun League strikes again! But of course the Cheesies get preferential treatment. Why?

Man I'm getting tired of that team and that city always getting treated like the runt of the litter by the NFL with all it's favoritism. I couldn't get away from it when I lived there and I can't get away from it now. Now can the Bears players light up a big stogie ala Ditka style after their scores?

Some of this stuff is just plain dumb and so are all these rules changes. How did the NFL ever survive before the days of all these over officious pompous assholes that Saint Roger has at his beck and call. I can't figure out who I dislike more :asshat2: #1; Mikey McCaskey, or :asshat3: #2; Roger Goddell. And :asshat4: #3; Blandino, gets to officiate games from the "home office". This is getting like something out of "The Hunger Games".
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,656 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    I was hearing that this is in conjunction w/the extending of the crossbars, they think the extending of the crossbars might make the goalposts easier to bend/break w/the dunking over it. Not sure I buy that but I wouldn't much care for a 15-30 min delay in game as the goalpost is replaced, that would be no fun.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,575ß
    Like in Atlanta last year? This rule I have no problem with. Sure, it's rare, but all it takes is one instance to make it necessary
    • Like Like x 1
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,286 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    237ß
    I think it's poop. They could put stabilizing guide wires to make them stronger. Enough of the micro-police.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,656 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    If it happened last year then it can happen again, I'm certain they COULD do other things, but it's simpler to just say "hey guys stop f'n w/the goal post"
  7. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +754 / 4 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    632ß
    Soul, Jimmy Graham twisted the goal post and caused a delay of game while the goal post was being realigned. That should be a penalty for doing something stupid.
    • Like Like x 1