Current Roster Offense.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 5, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    234ß
    MILE HIGH VIEW.
    Looking at roster by postion and cap number it looks like below. Recently signed E Britton was added in and his cap number was entered at league min. since I have not seen his actual number. The total cap number is all players but only the top 51 count against the cap so do not get to wrapped up on the total number. Potential draft count is my opinion based on dead money and need at a high level, it does not mean we need to draft the position but if a value pick drops at the position they could pull the trigger. Takeaways is 2 observations, 1. We are offense centered as we have $18M more cap committed to offense than defense, 2. Dead Money could be used next yr and would probably cover B Marshall contract, almost like its sitting there and waiting.

Summary:
    RB and TE probable either draft or undrafted player.
    QB, C, T potential picks if value pick on board

upload_2014-4-5_10-4-53.png

Positions:
    Garza on a 1 yr deal will either need to find his replacement either this yr or next. Center Taylor Boggs is listed at 6'3" and 285 lbs. compared to Garza who is 6'2' and 310 lbs. Boggs may need to add some weight if he is longer term option, counts 0 dead money and a potential draft position could replace him if value can be found . Currently 2 centers on roster and we had 2 on the roster last yr, expect the team to carry 2.
    upload_2014-4-5_9-30-32.png

Guard Solid Starters signed for several yrs: Britton who recently signed is the back up. Signing Britton this late probably a indicator we will not draft this position. Possible to draft a Guard as back up center but expect these 3 guards to be on roster.
    upload_2014-4-5_10-1-10.png

Bushrod and Mills appear to be starters. Brown 6'4" 306 lbs, Long 6' 0' 304 and Gaines 6'6 329 lbs. likely to battle for 2 spots. Gaines was on Practice squad last yr. If a value pick is available they may choose to add another rookie to the mix as none of the 3 have any dead money should they be cut. Only 4 expected to make roster, Gaines has nice size. The 5 shown on roster last yr included practice squad.
    upload_2014-4-5_10-19-33.png

Tight end is definitely a weak spot behind Bennett. No proven backups. Expect 2 or 3 TE's to make the team based on last yr. Last yr TE a couple of TE's were released mid season to make space for needed replacements to the injured players such as Ratliff being signed. No dead space with Miller, Rosario, or Onobun. Onobun has to prove he can catch the ball or will probably be gone as he is an ex basketball player the Bears apparently are trying to develop. Would not be surprised to see the Bears draft a TE with no proven back up to Bennett, suspect this may occur in rd 3 or 4.
    upload_2014-4-5_10-30-8.png

Cutler just got big contract and is the starter. Both back ups are 6'5' and have good size. If Trestman is comfortable with Palmer as back up the Bears may not pick a QB as Johnson is in his second season under Trestman. If he is developing the bears may wait til after the draft to address some camp competition for Palmer and Johnson.
    upload_2014-4-5_10-40-22.png

Ford looked like a viable back up last preseason. After cutting Bush the Bears will need to find a back up running back. Will they look for Fortes eventual replacement and go for a player like Carlos Hyde in early rounds or settle on a backup. Will they draft a RB or sign a RB after the draft.
    upload_2014-4-5_10-48-15.png

Hard to see the Bears using a pick on WR. Have to be a real stud that falls. Tolliver could be replaced but with defense in rebuild mode not likely

upload_2014-4-5_11-4-33.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Good list. Right now we need QB, RB, OC/OG. All backups don't need starters. Of the list I would say the only that could possibly be a top half pick is RB. Our RB2 will see some decent time and the better any potential rookie played the less abuse and more miles we could get out of Forte.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    I am very curious to see how they handle the center issue. Kromer/Emery could go a number of ways with this. Garza is a 1 year solution. They may see Boggs as "The Guy" to replace him, or they could bring in a FA, or they could draft a guy. I see this as one of the top issues on the roster - even for this year if they don't see Boggs as a solid #2 if Garza goes down to injury. Grooming the next C is pretty important, and an issue that won't wait. But maybe Boggs IS the guy in their eyes and it's a done deal.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    I guess I also wonder about who the receiving TE is, if/when Bennett goes down to injury. It would be nice to have a guy on the roster who could be a solid receiving TE. Onobun sure doesn't impress as a receiving TE. It would be nice to bring in a youngster to groom here. Bennett has become an important piece of our offense. If he goes down it will hurt. Onobun just looks like the new Kellen Davis.....just another guy who can't catch a football.
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    234ß
    I am very worried about TE as well. Need a backup to Bennett and if we draft Niklas in rd 3 or so we could add a 2 TE set. Willl be interesting if Bears see value enough to draft early. Same can be said for RB but atleast Ford could play in a pinch not sure we could survive at TE though. Both positions could use help be interesting how they balance it against the Def. needs.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    507ß
    The offensive dollars seem to be spread out about right. We're maybe a little higher than some at RB and QB but both are franchise type guys so it's to be expected. We need to add depth at a couple of spots as opposed to starters this year which tells me that help will come later in the draft of in the form of UDFAs.

Believe it or not I'm actually more concerned about making sure we have a decent #2 RB than I am another QB prospect. Maybe that's why I see bringing in a kid like Lynch more as a RB. I think he's got the goods to give that a shot whereas I doubt he'd ever be more than a #3 guy in the NFL. He'd have to make some quantum leaps as a thrower to stick around long that way.

Somewhere along the line they need another OC in camp but they've kept Boggs around for a reason so he must have some talent. His size should be a huge deal at OC. Kruetz wasn't much bigger and the Broncos have been getting by with guys his size for years. If he's quick and strong he can play but there's more to it than just that. He has learn the line calls.
  7. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    BS Bear, great information and ideas thanks for the effort to pull together all the information.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +996 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I do think TE is an area that needs improvement, but compared to other more pressing needs, I think can even be put off to next year if need be. Not what I would like to see happen, but you just can't get as many QUALITY people that we need in one season. JA left us with a pretty large grocery list. It is getting whittled down. If the D had not imploded as much as it did last year, I'm sure TE would have been an FA priority this year.
  9. RoSto89

RoSto89 Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Enter in Brian De La Puente. I don't know how Emery pulls these deals off.
    • Agree Agree x 1