Cutler and Fales Begin to Connect..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, May 22, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    Jay Cutler gives rookie QB David Fales enthusiastic welcome

BY ADAM L. JAHNS Staff Reporter May 20, 2014 9:02PM

[​IMG]
    Sixth-round pick David Fales aspires to be a starting quarterback in the NFL, but for now he is Jay Cutler’s backup. | Nam Y. Huh/AP

Updated: May 21, 2014 10:10AM

Jay Cutler’s congratulatory, welcome-to-the-team phone call would have been good enough for rookie quarterback David Fales. Instead, Cutler made his line available to Fales for anything. “I text him here and there about practice and stuff,” Fales said.

Cutler’s support of Fales speaks to his comfort level now that the Bears are considered his team more than at any other point in his Chicago tenure.

During minicamp last weekend, Fales, a sixth-round pick from San Jose State, texted Cutler with questions about his mindset during the progressions of some plays and about the footwork he uses for some concepts. He also would tell Cutler how his days were going with Marc Trestman and quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh.

“He was giving me tips,” Fales said. Does Cutler reply immediately? “Yeah,” Fales said. “He’s good with that. He’s just a genuine guy. He truly cares. And he knows the game.”

Drafting a quarterback was always on the table. Cavanaugh said he evaluated 19 in the draft. “I had a good grade on David,” Cavanaugh said. “I didn’t know [the Bears were going to draft him], but I was glad we got him.”

The chemistry of the quarterbacks room is important, and Cavanaugh believes that Fales will mesh with the other quarterbacks. Fales already is close with Jordan Palmer having trained with him. With Trestman and Cutler, the quarterbacks room tends to have a unique intellectual side to it. Fales impressed Cavanaugh by articulating some of the Bears’ pass principles.

“That room is quietly competitive,” Cavanaugh said. “It becomes competitive when it becomes obvious that somebody doesn’t know something; then it becomes a little tough. I don’t think [Fales is] going to be stumped by anything. He’s going to be able to answer questions and follow along. … When it’s his turn [to speak], he’ll be able to spit out what he’s responsible for. I don’t have any doubt that he’ll fit in.”

Coming off consecutive 4,000-yard seasons, Fales definitely has a competitive side. Asked if he aspires to be a starter, Fales said, “Obviously, yeah.”

That said, he’s a backup right now, competing with Palmer and Jerrod Johnson for two roster spots. The Bears have a preference for keeping three quarterbacks to guard against injury, but also for familiarity. “If you can afford to do it, it’s nice to have a third one available,” Cavanaugh said.

Fales described Trestman’s playbook as “QB-friendly and “really cut and dry.” “It’s a lot of timing and sticking to your footwork,” he said. “There’s no gray area. Everyone’s going to know in that quarterbacks room why you made a decision. Everyone is on the same page.”

And if he’s not, Fales always can turn to Cutler.

Email: ajahns@suntimes.com
    Twitter: @adamjahns
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    I guess the two most revealing things in this article are that the Bears had plans to draft a QB if one they felt good about was available when they felt they could afford to spend a pick on one. The other is that the current plan seems to be to keep 3 QBs on the roster as opposed to two. That's a little different than last year when they said they preferred to keep just two. So it looks like Fales and Palmer will both stick.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,345 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    735ß
    It sure makes it sound like Fales may be the much-anticipated Trestman project QB. I like that Fales sees himself ultimately being a starting QB in the NFL. Whether or not that happens, it's still good to know he has that confidence in himself. I hope they don't try to put Fales on the practice squad, because I could see a team stealing him from us.
  4. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +610 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    208ß
    Great, now we'll be hearing from Brian about how Cutler has called everyone else except him...
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,207 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    That's the major "story" of this piece for me. We have kept 2 QBs recently but that was without a draftee in the mix. Since they spent a pick on one this year and I was suspicious if they would risk the waiver wire to get him to the PS, we know have the answer. It seems certain we are keeping 3 and it's no secret who they will be.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    Based on this it doesn't seem like they will. The problem would obviously be getting him through waivers in order to get him there and I agree, that would be risky. Once he's on the PS he may be safe but getting him there is probably a tall order.
  7. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß
    His college production was awesome . Granted it wasn't the SEC but I'd bet he'd have been solid there too . I hope they keep and develope him . He's done more than J. Palmer has and probably ever will . I see a diamond who wil shine when given his chance , but it's good that he'll sit and learn for a few years , so he'll be more comfortable and ready when his time comes .
  8. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    yeah, i guess Jay just doesnt like Brian, but i dont understand why, hes a standup guy, loyal, good friend, kind, has a nice clean haircut and all
  9. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +363 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    I remember in a Cutler interview he was saying McCown was one of those rare people who not only made you a better player, but also a better person. I think his good guy charm might have had some effect on Cutty and others. Not saying Cutler wouldn't have progressed as he has, but I think seeing how selfless McCown was helped a lot of guys be more grounded.. and McCowns success showed that it pays off to have a team mentality.

Or, maybe I'm just full of it.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    I'm all for this new kinder more considerate version of the Chicago Bears just as long as it doesn't carry over to the field on game day with an opponent. Then I want see them ripping a guys head off and stuffing his nuts down his throat.

There's a time to stop being nice. :14 6 12[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,534 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    707ß
    On the upside, ripping his head off does make his throat more accessable
  12. soulman