Cutler hasn't played an entire 16-game season since 2009.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 20, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

He'll be 31 years old this season, at the beginning of a 7 year contract. McCown showed us that the backup in Chicago CAN make a difference, but there's a good chance he'll be offered "The Big Payday" elsewhere and walk.

What should the Bears do here? What should our "Plan B" be if we lose McCown?
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01

get a young guy that's always been a backup, ie a guy like chase daniels this past year, and/or draft a guy in the mid rounds. You have 7 picks and you are not getting 7 starters this year on D, that can be used on a backup TE and QB, maybe even a backup RB.
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Locking up Cutler, I doubt they draft a QB. It is likely all going on defense. They need starters and backups
  4. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

^^^ Agreed. We also need a center. This draft is weak for QBs from what I've heard (I could be wrong). If we lose McCown I think we should sign a FA for two or three years and start drafting guys next year.
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz

Palmer looked good against the scrubs, he has been in the system last year.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01

1) the team is going to resign McCown so it won't matter
    2) the draft is weak at the top of the draft for qb's, the depth is amazing for them
    3) the team is not going to draft 7 def players, no team does drafts all of 1 position, they'll center on D, especially early, then start picking up O players.
    4) They'll get at least 2 of the following in the draft: QB, TE, RB, WR, TE.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

I just keep coming back to the point that McCown showed us that our season isn't necessarily over if Cutler is out again due to injury. Until this year, I pretty much thought the season would tank if Jay was gone for an extended time. I was wrong. Now (thanks to Josh) it's clear that the season can stay afloat if a decent guy is our #2. Just how important is that #2 guy at QB? I believe he's one of the more important guys on our team.

Due to the fact the #2 guy gets pretty much zero reps once the season begins, there probably is value in getting a veteran to be the #2 right now. A green rookie isn't going to be of much value THIS year if Jay goes down and we have to trot a rookie out with zero reps of work with the #1's on offense. That's one reason why Josh was able to be successful. As a vet we could bring him in cold and he could still perform well in this offense.

If Jay is "The Guy" for the next several years, then it would probably be a waste of a high round draft pick this year (to draft a QB high). I also wonder if there is a "project" to bring in as our #3 QB. Matt Blanchard seemed to be well-thought of by Trestman, until he went down to injury and landed on IR. Maybe Matt would be worth bringing back now that he's healthy and he's worked in the Trestman offense.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

I originally thought this too. But I'm reading where Josh is going to be a hot commodity this off-season. If they offer him a boatload of money, he may take it. I made the argument against this a few weeks ago, thinking he'd stay. But now I'm not as certain, Ric. It just depends upon how much money they throw at him, especially guaranteed money. If the difference between the Bears and the other teams is in the millions of guaranteed money (I know, that's a big "if") then he would be foolish to stay with the Bears. The Bears may not have the cap to keep him here.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68

As Ric says, the Bears are going to re-sign McCown so no worries.

And I doubt he is going to become as much of a "hot commodity" around the league as some think. The cap is pretty flat. He had one successful season after years as an unknown journeyman. He benefitted from a QB-friendly scheme with great weapons. He will also be 35 years old. All teams know this stuff so I don't see them as risking a "Flynn 2.0" situation.
  10. a_miljan

a_miljan

i wasnt aware of that, hes no london fletcher thats for sure, but i blame his old oline, those guys almost got him killed!
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01

Bears position outlook: Quarterbacks
    January, 20, 2014
    Jan 20
    8:00
    AM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com
    2014 free agents: Josh McCown and Jordan Palmer.

[​IMG] Cutler The good: Jay Cutler responded favorably to the tutelage of new Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman, and displayed enough growth for the organization to reward him with a seven-year contract worth $126 million. With Cutler and backup Josh McCown at the helm, the offense set franchise records in net yardage (6,109), passing yards (4,281), completion percentage (64.4), passing touchdowns (32) and passer rating, in addition to scoring 445 points. McCown set the franchise record for passer rating (109.0), completion percentage (66.5), and finished with the lowest interception percentage (0.4) in club annals. Cutler’s completion of 63.1 ranked as second in franchise single-season history, and his passer rating of 89.2 ranked as a career high for the veteran quarterback.

The bad: Cutler missed five games and portions of two others, yet he still threw 12 interceptions, which averages out to a little more than one pick per game. That number is too high, and works out to an interception percentage of 3.4. In addition, injuries forced Cutler to miss more than 22 quarters of action in 2013, and he hasn’t played an entire 16-game season since 2009, which is somewhat concerning given the financial commitment the Bears just made to the quarterback.

The money (2014 salary-cap numbers): Cutler ($22.5 million) and Jerrod Johnson ($420,000). Cutler’s number is sky-high and a big part of the reason the Bears were just $796,000 under the cap as of last Friday. The good news is a portion of Cutler’s base salary of $22.5 million can be converted into a signing bonus to provide some cap relief if the team needs it. But as it stands now, Cutler is the only quarterback on the roster with any real experience, and the club has expressed a desire to bring back McCown for 2014. But it’s unknown whether the Bears can pull off that deal, because McCown will have suitors in free agency, and he’ll have to weigh family life against what money might be available to him on the market in making a decision to continue playing. If the Bears can’t bring back McCown, Palmer would be an inexpensive option the club has some familiarity with.

Draft priority: Moderate to low. The Bears haven’t drafted a quarterback since 2011 (Nate Enderle) and haven’t taken one in the first three rounds since 2003 (Rex Grossman). Cutler will be 31 when the 2014 season starts, and although he just signed a seven-year deal, it wouldn’t be a bad idea for the team to find a young quarterback of the future to groom over the next few years.

This is kinda where I find myself, FA and the early draft really will determine if the Bears decide to draft a qb.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595

Let's not sit back and think lightening can strike twice. Remember those were some bad defenses we faced. Will this happen again? I think we should keep all options open when it comes to back up QB and not over pay for one.
    • Like Like x 1