Cutler impressed by new coach Trestman

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Akuma2000, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    LINK

CHICAGO -- After going through training camp with a new coach and opening the season with a 3-0 record, Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler said Monday that everything about Marc Trestman has exceeded his expectations.

“He’s better than I thought he was, to tell you the truth,” Cutler said Monday during ESPN 1000's weekly “The Jay Cutler Show.” “You knew he knew he was a smart guy. You knew he knew offense. You didn’t know how well he was going to be in front of the team and being able to juggle the defense and the special teams and getting everybody to buy in, and do things early in training camp that are relative right now. It’s just little things. I would say he’s better.”

After a circuitous coaching route over the past 32 years that took him from the college ranks to eight different NFL teams, before heading back to college and then on to Canada to coach in the CFL, Trestman could not have gotten off to a better start in his first NFL head coaching job.

After playing for head coach Lovie Smith the previous five seasons, not to mention a revolving door of offensive coordinators that included Ron Turner, Mike Martz and Mike Tice, Cutler is learning yet another new system that he has embraced thus far.

“It feels right,” Cutler said. “It’s always different with somebody else, but it definitely feels right. I think Trest has a good feel for the team right now, the direction we’re going. I think he’s calling plays really well, with the state of where the offense is. He’s not throwing us out to the wolves.”

In other words, despite a deep playbook, Trestman is not requiring too much of the offense thus far and hasn’t put too much on his quarterback too soon. Cutler has already said that he still will be learning the offense in Week 15 of the 16-game season.

“He’s giving us opportunities to make plays, and he’s protecting us when he thinks he should protect us, even though we might not have the right perspective to see what he’s doing,” Cutler said. “It’s a tough job, it really is, especially in this market, in this city, inheriting a 10-win team.”

And if anybody had any lingering doubts over Trestman’s dedication, they only had to look at his work day Monday, shortly after the 40-23 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday night.

“The guy lives and breathes it,” Cutler said. “Last night, me and [backup quarterback] Josh [McCown] were talking to him. We said, 'Go get some sleep, and we’ll come in at 10 or 11 [a.m.] to watch some film and come talk to you.' I went in there at like 10, 10:30, 11 to talk to him. I asked what time he got up. He said six. He had some coffee and came in. The guy just lives it. The whole staff does. The whole staff does a great job.”

If Trestman has shown his dedication, members of the coaching staff have taken it even further.

“We have coaches that are spending the night last night when we got back [from Pittsburgh] to get up in the morning and get going,” Cutler said. “We have a great group of guys. It’s always comforting to know that your coaches are spending those amount of hours to make sure that you have the right plays, offensively, defensively and special teams-wise. It’s not a bad thing to have by any means.”
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    673ß
    ‘‘In my younger days, it might have been a little bit more rocky than it is right now,’’ Cutler said. ‘‘But it’s going real well right now.’’

This was in reference to his QB coach's style of coaching. It sounds like Cutler not only bought in to the system, but has matured as we all hoped.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +243 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    204ß
    It's nice to have a coach that can put together an offense. having a coach that gets along with the quarterback is necessary to do well especially in the post season. I wonder if everbody would be so strongly supporting Trestman if we were 0-3 or 1-2?

I definitely like the guy and think he is a step up, but he is human and it is doubtful we will be undefeated this season.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I'm glad they get along, but I could care less, I just want them to win.
  5. Akuma2000

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Just goes to show that having the right coach and offensive scheme in place is just what was needed for this team and to help Cutler.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,275 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    222ß
    Might explain perhaps why we didn't see huge adjustments in the second half of the Steelers game. As the season goes I think we see more and better adjustments.
  7. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    When Cutty's in the heat of battle you find out real quick the people who know their shit and the ones that are full of shit. After what has come through this organization I bet Cutty has the best shit detector available.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +786 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    434ß
    I've said it before, Trstman's working with a season plan, not just a game plan. This offense will get more interesting and complex as the team picks up the playbook , and as he determines what will work and what won't based on the players performance.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Akuma2000

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Lmaoooooo.......agreed.
  10. Akuma2000

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    That's right.........By the end of the season when playoff spots starts coming in to play the Bears offense will be clicking really good by then.
  11. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    So what you're saying is Trest will always be 2 steps ahead of the opponent. He sounds just like all the other old Bears coaches.:p
  12. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +786 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    434ß
    Not saying that, but I hope he is!!

The other old coaches talked the talk but used pixie dust and never got anywhere. This guy is walking the walk and using brains and planning. He's getting down the road toward the goal.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,031 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,730ß
    I just love what we're all seeing in Trestman so far. He's everything you could hope to have in a winning coach. I understand that he's learning as he goes along, and he will make mistakes this season. But I love how he learns & improves. He's humble too. Not arrogant, like he knows it all and the rest of the world is stupid. Man, I'm on cloud 9 now that we have a "real" coach who can actually game plan, and adjust mid-game, and learn and grow as a coach.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    Wow, I like the guy too, but there is a whole lotta MAN crushin goin on round here. Easy fellas, easy now.:cool:;)
    • Like Like x 2
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    That's why we are now called daQueers... :oops:(it's a joke lite'n up for all you pc people)
  16. Akuma2000

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Lmaoooooo........funny but true.
  17. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +747 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    625ß
    I am impressed more with the OL.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,031 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,730ß
    All we ever heard was how it took eons to "gel" an OL. It was some mystical thing that took ages - even for a real life "guru" like Mike Tice. And heaven help 'ya if you start more than 1 new guy on the OL. Kromer comes in, and starts four new guys (two of 'em rookies).......and the line looks solid. Even Garza is looking good.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    So are you saying Tice didn't know his ass from a hole the ground?
    By the way your sig just keeps getting better and better. Just like daBears
  20. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think we all are so far but this week will be a major test with Suh.