Cutler is starting

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Nov 7, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Long must do whatever it takes to keep Suh from getting his hands on Jay. Hold him, kick him in the balls, whatever. I am nervous about this. Suh is a dirty thug.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CaptainHookShot

CaptainHookShot

Love this actually,
    Fuck it! Thought McCown played 6 better quarters of football than Cutler has all year. I'll eat my crow when Cutler starts, plays the whole game, and the Bears go 6-3. I will very happily eat it. I'll call it right here: Cutler's qb rating goes unchanged, Bears LOSE. Guys are on here next week talking about how shitty the defense is.
  3. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz What? Me Worry? Staff Member

The bigger picture is this.... Trestman has easily demonstrated he can coach to a players' strengths.

Put Lovie in place after Cutler got hurt. We easily lose the game to the Packers 35-10. Lovie could NEVER adjust his game plan. "He will continue to make adjustments accordingly". lol

So while Cutler is starting, I'm stoked to know Trestman see's the team clearly and will make adjustments.

On the defensive side, he's stuck. What can he do when players are dropping like flies? So the same can't be said on the D side. Just too many injuries to effectively repair without notice.

Trestman is already at the same respect level as I had for Lovie. Within one season I feel Trestman/Emery will outshine Lovie/Angelo.

We as fans always hoped for the Bears to make adjustments, and we will get a better showing, it just NEVER happened! This year isn't NOT the same, and I have to give that to Trestman. It's exactly what he did in the CFL.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rogelio

Rogelio

When the Packers won the Super Bowl, they had a crappy defense that, like the Bears, was able to get a few key turnovers. The next year the defense was horrific, but they scored a billion points, so they damn near went undefeated. And even in their loss to the Giants, it was more on Rodgers and the O-line having a crappy game than on the defense. The defense gave up 37, but that was among 4 GB turnovers. That was a team built to score 45 a game, and if they would have scored 45, they'd have won.

So yeah, it pisses me off a little as a fan, but if you can score a bunch of points, you could potentially win a championship with a historically bad defense.
  5. Rogelio

Rogelio

David Haugh‏@DavidHaugh18h
    In last 6 quarters before Wash game, Cutler 34 of 51 for 445 yards, 3 touchdowns, 0 interceptions for 113.6 passer rating. Scored 38 points.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68

I can't get the earlier Detroit game out of my head. A bad as the D was against Bush, Cutler really sucked bad that day and took away any chance of winning. The Lions don't tend to play nearly as well outta the dome on the road so I hope that history continues.

There's no doubt that Cutler is the higher ceiling QB by far but McCown played smarter (in a small sample size). Can Jay learn anything from watching Josh? Can he restrain the worst impulses of his gunslinger mentality? Can he remember to hold the ball high when the rush is closing in? Can he force himself to hit the sure fire check down even when it's unsexy compared to trying to fit it into a tight double-covered window 20 yards downfield?

Assuming he's physically healthy, has he learned anything? I hope so...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

AMEN, MPbears68. AMEN.
  8. Bear Claw

Bear Claw

When did us bears fan ever think a back up is better then our starter since getting Jay?! this is nuts
    • Like Like x 1
  9. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy

Good luck? I think?
  10. Rogelio

Rogelio

Once again:

David Haugh‏@DavidHaugh18h
    In last 6 quarters before Wash game, Cutler 34 of 51 for 445 yards, 3 touchdowns, 0 interceptions for 113.6 passer rating. Scored 38 points.

Jay's last six quarters before the Washington game were a little better than McCown's play thusfar. ZERO turnovers. And he didn't play well against Washington, but his only INT was a catchable ball off Alson's hands. It's hard for people to see, but Jay really is playing well this year. Especially the last few games. He's not the buffoon closing his eyes and hurling the ball 50 yards downfield like everyone seems to think.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

McCowns 6+ Quarters

36-61 for 476 yards 3TDs 0 INTs 100.2 passer rating

So, In the last 6 quarters....

McCown threw 10 more times, had 2 more completions. He had 31 more yards, same number of TDs and INTs.... Cutler had a higher passer rating.
  12. JoeBear

JoeBear

Boy, I see a lot of crazy comments about McCown doing better. No question he has played well, but remember, he has played 11 years for 6 different teams with mediocre success. 2 games do not make him a HOF candidate.

If Cutler is healthy he should start, period. I hope and suspect that Trestman will make the proper adjustments and we will see healthy doses of Forte and Bush, maybe even a few more Alshon "end arounds" to keep Jay out of harms way.

If it turns out that Jay is hurting and can't continue, McCown can always put his white helmet back on and ride to the rescue.
  13. A-11

A-11

Playing better, and being better are different things.
    I don't like Cutler, I've even posted about the possibilities of letting him walk with his contract.
    I like what I've seen from McCown, but I'm not delusional. I know who I'd play if given a choice and it is not the later.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Okay. Here are my thoughts on the Cutler vs McCown situation

Cutler is the more talented QB. But perhaps McCown is better suited for the Trestman system.
  15. A-11

A-11

There are actually a couple QB's I think would do well in Trestman's system. It will be interesting but I highly doubt Trestman ever goes with the Freeman or RG3 types. If I was Emery, I'd let him live or die by the sword and do my best to get him anything he wanted. That could be Cutler, but I feel what you're saying Benji. It would not surprise me if some unexpected names show up via free agency on next year's roster, even if just to backup.

It is obvious to me that QB's are Trestman's babies, as it should be. Let him adopt, if he turns out a thief. Well bad luck Mr. Wonka.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68

No one is denying that Cutler is by far the more athletically gifted QB. His arm has never been doubted. It's his head that sometimes gets in the way. Less this year thanks to Trestman, but he still has had too many TOs in the divisional games he's played this year.
  17. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz What? Me Worry? Staff Member

A good coach will do that!
  18. Tarkus

Tarkus

In the coaches eyes...Cutler without any doubt. McCown's done an amazing (never thought I'd say it but pleased that I can) job coming on in relief but his ceiling has already been determined. Cutler gives us way more opportunities to expand on the learning curve in this new system & shouldn't be thrown over by 6 McCown quarters that really don't diminish him in any way.

In the fans eyes...

If a fan is looking at the growth of Jay from a heavily sacked, no weapons, 6 OCs/carousel of offensive schemes, QB who had as little structure as the Bears organization had in the last regime, to the QB who already has proven repeatedly he can rise above past bad habits/poor decisions & who, along with WRs/TE/OL, have shown an unexpected accelerated spike in success, Cutler's your guy.

If a fan has had enough of Jay & feels the team needs a change from a 'leftover' from the last regime who will continue making poor decisions & ultimately at too high a price, then their mind is already made up. Cutler will never change their mind cuz every bad play will start the good Jay/bad Jay convos.

I knew this was going to be a process all across the board this year & it wouldn't do us any favors if we don't give Trestman a season with Jay to judge the future.

Cutler's my choice...