Cutler lauds Trestman, coaches for game prep

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Sep 12, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,172 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    By Larry Mayer

Jay Cutler felt comfortable operating the Bears offense in last Sunday's season opener in part because he wasn't surprised by a single play that coach Marc Trestman called.

Knowing what to expect helped the veteran quarterback throw for 242 yards with two touchdowns and a 93.2 passer rating in a 24-21 win over the Cincinnati Bengals at Soldier Field.

"I think every scenario was covered," Cutler said Thursday. "Every third down, every red zone, even the fourth down call didn't surprise me. 'Trest' does a great job of keeping the quarterbacks informed of what he likes, what's priority calls, what at the end of the week we don't feel good about and probably won't get called. Through the course of the game it was pretty clean in my ear."

Cutler lauded not only Trestman but offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer, quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh and receivers coach Mike Groh for putting players in the best position to succeed.

"Each day coming in here Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, I know that the coaches did everything possible the night before, the week before, to prepare us for that day, to give us a game plan that's going to be successful out there," Cutler said.

"There's no doubt in my mind that [the coaches] are going to give us plays that are going to work. Our biggest concern is us as players being able to execute them and knowing our assignments."

The Bears offense struggled in the first half against the Bengals, mustering only 97 yards and failing to pick up a first down on five of seven possessions. But the unit persevered, eventually scoring two second-half touchdowns to turn a 21-10 deficit into a 24-21 victory.

It was the first time since 1980 that the Bears rallied from a deficit of 11 or more points in the second half to win with two touchdown drives of at least 80 yards. The offense then iced the victory by burning the final 6:38 off the clock by picking up three first downs.

"We had good mental fortitude," Kromer said. "When we were down in the game, we were able to continue to play and continue to fight and know that we have a chance to come back. That's half the battle, and the guys did it and they kept the ball. It was a good drive and a good finish."

Trestman liked the way Cutler responded to adversity in the first half.

"What I learned is he can be as consistent demeanor-wise during the ebb and flow of a game as he was during the ebb and flow of practices because it wasn't all good on Sunday," Trestman said. "There was adversity there. There were some bad things that happened.

"We had blown the opportunity early to [pick up] a first down. We didn't convert another third down, which would have enabled us to move the sticks-more about us than it was about them-and [Cutler] handled it very well. His demeanor was very even-keeled and he didn't seem to get frustrated at all. I asked Matt how he was when Matt was with him on the sideline and [Cutler] had moved on and was getting ready for the next series. That's a good sign."

Trestman has no doubt that Bears players view Cutler as a team leader because they voted him as a co-captain.

"I think his teammates believe he is; they elected him captain," Trestman said. "That says a lot right there. Jay certainly has the respect of his teammates and I think that's what's most important.

"That 'C' on his chest, I didn't give it to him. His coaches didn't. His teammates elected him. That says a lot about what he's done for this team during the OTAs, training camp, and at the start of the season. It bodes well. If you're a captain, you have to earn it every day. You have to lead every day because everybody's watching you, everything you do."

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...ame-prep/c644e82e-857e-4daf-8222-467edfd77f06
  2. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    145ß
    WOW!!!:14_6_5[1]::pamela:
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,234 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    492ß
    We still have to give credit to Vontaze Burfict for using up the last 2 of their 3 Timeouts. What a team player.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,067 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    327ß
    Trestman is bringing out the best in Cutler.

Cutler had the living nightmare of landing on a team with no coaches who had a clue about running an offense. No receiving weapons. No offensive line. It must have been a living hell for a highly competitive player like Cutler to end up on an offense that was doomed before it ever set foot on the football field. A half-wit calling plays and no supporting talent to be successful.

Now, it must feel like heaven. A brilliant head coach calling plays. Lots of solid weapons everywhere. A decent Oline. You know Jay is loving this.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +160 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    I'm glad Jay is comfortable working with Trestman, it's also a big help knowing that every game will be game planned to everybody's strengths and what works best for jay in the passing game.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    IMHO, the best thing that could happen to Jay is to finally develop a consistent and strong relationship with his O-Coordinator. It seems the pieces of a decent Oline are in place and the weapons he has can also be developed to be extremely consistent if not deadly. I hope Trestman really get him to harness his talent and to listen to experience instead of having to worry who is rushing in on his blind side or being fixated on BMarsh. Time will tell but let's hope this is finally the year Jay puts it together. He has his contract to play for after all.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +632 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    If Cutler has a great season, he will be expecting big bucks for his next contract. The Bears have always been tight with the money. This could get ugly -- worse than the Forte holdout. I hope I am wrong, but I can see it coming.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,067 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    327ß
    You could be right. But, I think they'll work it out. And it's a nice problem to have, if in fact, Cutler PROVES he's able to play like a stud with all of these new weapons - and a brilliant coach calling the plays, and helping him to reach his full potential as a QB.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    145ß
    Cutler is pretty smart he even said last year if you pay too many guys too much money then it's hard to acquire the other guys you need to make a successful SB team. So I have a feeling(hoping) he may not demand the Flacco kind of payout. I hope I'm right that would prove to a lot of people that they had Cutler wrong his entire career, but time will tell and sometimes no matter what he does people won't like him anyway.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Akuma2000

Ratings:
    +160 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    I don't think it's gonna be that bad, Emery/Trestman seem to have better heads on their shoulders compared to Angelo/Lovie when it came to contract extensions.......we saw how they handled the Urlacher situation which in turn pissed some people off for not re-signing him but it turned out they were right all along because no else signed Urlacher.

If Cutler performs like the coaches believe he can this season there's not doubt Cutty will get his extension, the Forte extension fiasco I blame on Angelo/Lovie for going on as long as it did which should've never happened because even with the sucky o-line had to run behind in the past he still got his yards.

I also believe that Cutty will give the Bears a hometown discount, he's not gonna break the bank knowing if he does it'll be hard to keep some of the core players or even sign new players etc....
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,067 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    327ß
    One other thought just came to me. If Cutler finally has a great coach, OC, and elite weapons everywhere (rushing AND receiving), and a solid offensive line, and is on a team that will be contending for playoffs & super bowls - then he will want to stay in Chicago if at all possible. I mean, he stuck it out in Chicago when there was zero talent around him & horrific coaches. If he bails out now, he'd be nuts. They will pay him plenty to stay. It may not be as much cash as he'd make on a crappy team somewhere else (wouldn't it be insane if he landed on a team and they hired Lovie?).

Jay's here to stay if he PROVES he's a solid QB of the future.
  12. Akuma2000

Ratings:
    +160 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    Your right JAB, the Bears are gonna make sure Cutler isn't going anywhere anytime soon......lol
  13. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +632 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    True, once you have more millions than you can spend on everything you will ever want for the rest of your life, the "marginal utility" (as economists call it) of the next million is much less valuable than your first million. But Cutler may not see it that way. The problem is, these elite athletes have huge egos. They compare their contract to others and say, "I am as good as him, so I want paid accordingly." We are going to learn how Cutler thinks. I fear a repeat of the Forte episode, if not worse.