Cutler now a top-5 QB in NFL in completion percentage. Top-10 QB rating.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 24, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,658 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,158ß
    He is at #5 of the starting QB's in the NFL.

His completion percentage is 67.3, which puts him two slots ahead of Aaron Rodgers (Rodgers is #7). Peyton Manning leads the NFL right now with a blistering 73.0 completion percentage.

He is tied for 4th place in the NFL in TD's.

LINK to NFL.com stats

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

boom-hi.png
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,658 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,158ß
    Those stats are for STARTING quarterbacks. You'll see some guys in there that only had a handful of snaps, who may place higher. Cutler is #5 of the starters.
  4. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

Ratings:
    +146 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    I guess it's encouraging, but it's still way too early to tell what impact Trestman might have on him. I will say this, though. He didn't have a great game on Sunday, by any means. The offense should have done more to put the game away, but they didn't. Anyway, after the Steelers got to within four points, they had all the momentum. It seemed like the Bears would continue going 3-and-out and the Steelers would score again to win it. However, Jay stayed restrained and took what the defense gave him. The line wasn't playing particularly well, and we weren't running the ball well in the second half. That was a time where, in previous years, Jay would have forced something out of the need to make a play, and often times it would have lead to a dumb mistake and a turnover. However, he didn't panic late. He stayed calm and lead the Bears down the field. Although his stats weren't great for that game, he played a smart enough game where he didn't make a mistake that could turn the game around. He doesn't have to be Aaron Rodgers every game. If he can just stop making mistakes or forcing the ball, he will instantly become one of the top 10 QBs instantly.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,658 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,158ß
    +1

All I'm doing is pointing out he's started out pretty solid. We're only 3 games into the season, so I'm not saying "he's fixed" now. But I do like to think Trestman is having a good impact on him.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    151ß
    I would never have guessed that Jay would be there this year. He is ahead of several notable qb's. He has been improving his play each week, so hopefully he can stay up there in the rankings. The bad side of it is that his price will be elevating with the exposure.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,658 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,158ß
    I've been thinking about this today. If Trestman can help Cutler reach his potential as a QB, then I'm fine paying Jay what he's worth. He's just hitting his prime years. He would have his best years ahead of him.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +202 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    151ß
    Agree. I would much rather pay up after a great season than 'kicking the can down the road' and signing him up because we have no one else.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,045 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,276ß
    You think he is worth $20M a year? That is the going rate for good QBs nowadays.
  10. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    I think the most impressive thing about the steelers game was that he was under pressure later in the game, but he was able to sustain yet another drive late in the game, and he did not have a turnover at all.

In years past the Steelers were a team that would sustain drives (mainly because of Big Bens ability to escape), then they could pin back their ears and come after a team with Blitzing and disgusing the coverage. That is exactly what they did to us when they had the momentum, but the difference this year was three fold;
    1. We have a better line
    2. Trestman saw it coming and made ADJUSTMENTs in his play calling
    3. Cutler and the O was prepared and coached better to be able to react when they saw the pressure.

Winning like that is better in my mind than the two come from behind wins that we saw the previous two weeks.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,658 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,158ß
    It all depends on how well you want to see the team do. If mediocrity is fine, then skimp on the QB position. Grab a Kyle Orton clone and settle in watching Green Bay's backside for the next 6 or 7 years. Or more.

There is no "free lunch" in the NFL when it comes to the QB position. You pretty much get what you pay for. It's a position that very few men on planet earth can play - at the highest level. We all like the idea that Trestman can do the "Mike Tice Thing" and make a prince out of a frog. But getting a top-tier (or near top-tier) QB isn't a 'pixie dust thing" ...it's hard to get a really good one.

So, if Cutler PROVES he's worth the money, then pay the man. Period.
  12. GBlaze23

GBlaze23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That's great and all, but I don't really care about the rankings so much as how the game goes. What I have seen so far is a definite improvement. If you are a stat person though, you have to consider this. He was not asked to do a lot the last game because of the defensive scoring. It is hard to put up big numbers when the other team gets the ball, drives a bit, BOOM, turnover for a touchdown, other team gets the ball back. This happens a lot for us. He is not top tier by far, but does not get as many drives as other teams either. I do believe he has handled himself better so far this year though and I am quite content with his performance
  13. popcornlover

popcornlover Guest

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Jay has the talent its the offensive line its just too damn offensive LOL........................................................................now we will see how this bear will fly .
  14. GBlaze23

GBlaze23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm not sure what you mean. The offensive line has been GREATLY improved so far this year and has not been an issue at all. Plus bears don't fly.

/lost
  15. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Never doubted that Cutler was an above average talent who was in a shitty situation. The only question I had was if he ever was surrounded by good talent, would he be able to break the bad habits of having to force things trying to move the ball. So far he's been doing just that...playing within the confines of the game. He doesn't need to be throwing for 400 yards with 3 TDs to impress me. He just needs to perform at a high level when the chips are down & pick his moments.

Many examples thru the years of top QBs looking quite mortal for other reasons than if they were a good QB. Jay keeps doing the right things like waiting a few games for this offense to jell & not try to fast forward thru the natural growth & the Cutty Haters will be on Jenny Craig for all the crow they'll be eating.
  16. popcornlover

popcornlover Guest

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    sorry..

i meant that jay always had the talent its just that the Offensive line is just too damned bad....NOW WITH O-line lets see how this bear will fly.
    Bears can fly
    http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4961079203923157&w=207&h=207&c=8&pid=3.1&qlt=90&rm=2[​IMG]

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/43327103/...ls-two-canadians-freak-accident/#.UkL3nT_B-T4
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,658 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,158ß
    That's pretty much how I see it too.

The problem was never Cutler's physical QB skills. The guy is definitely a top-5 talent in THAT area. But he lacked the maturity, decision-making & discipline to be a top-5 QB overall. And a second issue was the fact he was playing with extremely crappy coaches. Clueless people who couldn't build a decent offense if their life depended upon it. They couldn't call plays worth a crap either. And of course a third issue was the fact he had poor supporting talent, like a #1 WR, Hester, who couldn't run routes or catch a football. They dumped his TE who could catch (Olsen) and believed didn't NEED receiving TE's.....and brought in some stone-hands people. And a 4th issue was that they never gave him an offensive line worth a crap. OL's that ranked 30th or worse each year. Cutler took horrific physical beatings in games. If it were a boxing match, they would have stopped some of those games before the man got killed.

Now it looks like almost all of those "bad things" have been fixed. And Cutler has responded by becoming a top-5 QB statistically. And overall, he's making better decisions. He's getting better every game. He's proven to be a RARE talent, in that he can put a team on his back and carry it to 4th quarter victories. Repeatedly. That's a rare QB in the NFL right now.

And one last thing. There are perhaps 3 other QB's in the NFL who can make all of the throws that Jay can make. You either have that physical gift - or you don't. There's no way to coach that. It's a God given physical gift. Jay has it.

You add all of that up, and if you're objective about it, then yes, you do pay Cutler a bigtime salary for bigtime talent. Or if you want mediocrity, then just get a Kyle Orton clone, and be a mediocre team, and just spend our years looking up at Green Bay's backside in the NFC-N.

I grew to hate the mediocrity. Let's not go back to that. Let's be thankful we have a QB like Jay, and keep him here in Chicago.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Reminds me of examples like David Carr. That boy could play & how did they take care of that talent? Allowed him to get brutalized year after year like he stole money from them. Result? A shell shocked, ghost of what he could have been.

Big Ben is a mobile, huge QB that's tasted the success. Take away his supporting cast & you'd have a Roman Gabriel, remembered as a good QB that was hard to take down.

Rodgers, who I grudgingly feel is the best QB out there, started on a team that was coming off a 13-3 season & ended up going 6-10. Big thing was he continued in the same scheme with the same HC. Cutler came in to a 7-9 Bears team & went to 9-7 but the turn-style of schemes/OC was just beginning. Wonder where Jay, who can make every throw Rodgers can, is as mobile, would be if the roles were reversed.

Of course, it's silly to play the 'what if' game too long but it's ludicrous to not be cognizant of how protection/WRs & stability in the staff/schemes play into the success of a QB.

Amen...

I know as fans, some get too short sighted due to the emotion but sometimes it's a bit numbing. Like the saying goes...QBs get way too much credit in the wins & way too much blame for the losses as a rule.

Cutler should take blame for his bonehead plays but if a team doesn't set up a QB for success, no one should be surprised when he fails. The only way I'd get rid of Jay would have been if we stayed the JA/LS course which would have meant he'd never mature as a QB nor would he have the weapons to even attempt it. Apparently Emery sees what a lot of us see by going out & giving him just what's needed...an offensive minded HC/WRs/OL & a return to the passing side of Forte.

The biggest regret is that our once vaunted D was allowed to age into oblivion under JA/LS while Cutler was being fed to the wolves. Now that's what bugs me most...
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

Ratings:
    +146 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    I agree with this. My only concern with Jay coming into the season was whether or not he had effectively been ruined by wasting his formaitve years getting concussed behind a terrible line, blowing off incompetent coaches, throwing to receivers who couldn't catch and forcing passes when nobody was open. I worried if all the bad habits and the mental baggage from Lovie/Turner/Martz/Tice had given him shell shock, so to say, or if he could become what he always had the talent to be.

So far, so good, but he's got a long way to go. And realistically, Jay could throw 40 TDs with 5 interceptions, but if they lose in the playoffs because he had a tipped INT, the media will still say LOL SAME OLD JAY!!1! However, we will know if he is playing much better and has taken the next step. I think the Giants could be the first real test for Jay, provided they pull their heads out of their asses in time for that game. Their D-line can give him fits.

However, I think the biggest early test he will face is the Packers in week 9. He has always played terribly against Green Bay, despite their defense being not very good his time here. The Packers' DBs manhandle receivers regularly. I was excited to see Marshall throw some bitches around against the Packers last year, but he didn't do much of anything in the two games against them. I think receivers getting intimidated from contact and poor coaching greatly contributed to Jay's horrible play against GB all these years. We have reason to believe the coaching is much improved. As for the receivers, Marshall should be amped to take it to them after his one terrible game and one so-so game last year. Alshon will be a year older and more mature. Still, Jay has to take the step to get over whatever Packers stigma he may have. He has to show that he can beat their defense and not turn the ball over. I am hopeful he can take those steps, but I was also hopeful last year. That game will show me if he truly changed.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  20. popcornlover

popcornlover Guest

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Truth be told this bears team is much better than last years team........