Cutler Ranked as 17th Best NFL QB...............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jul 3, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Windy City Gridiron - Being who you thought we were since 2005!
    Jay Cutler ranked 17th among his peers

By Lester A. Wiltfong Jr.@wiltfongjr on Jul 2 2014, 11:30a 131
    [​IMG]
    David Banks

The parade of off season lists rolls on. This time the folks over at ESPN wrangled up a bunch of "insiders" to rank the quarterbacks in the NFL for their Insider section. We have a sneak peek right here.

When ever you grant someone anonymity you can be sure to get their true feelings on a subject. When you don't have to put your name on something, there's no fear of backlash. Of course that also allows someone to spew some personal venom on someone that they otherwise wouldn't share, but you have to take the good with the bad.

Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider, recently spoke with 26 anonymous league insiders and asked them to rank the starting quarterbacks in the NFL on a 1-5 scale. One for the best, and five for the worst. Then Sando grouped the QBs into four tiers. We can't bring you all the details since the article appears behind a pay wall, but we will bring you a few nuggets relevant to the Chicago Bears.

The anonymous insiders he spoke with were eight current general managers, two former general managers, four pro-personnel evaluators, seven coordinators, two head coaches, two position coaches and a top executive.

The top tier had the four usual suspects along with Andrew Luck. The second tier had ten QBs listed including Joe Flacco at 12 and Matthew Stafford at 13. I mention Flacco because of this interesting anonymous evaluation.

"Flacco would be a guy that you probably either love him or hate him because he's a big guy, probably not the most mobile guy, and he's kind of got the droopy face, kind of like the Jay Cutler face, where it always looks like things are bad," an offensive coordinator said.
    Remember when I said that with anonymity you have to take the good with the bad? I should have also added idiotic to that.

Tier three is where we find Jay Cutler and his sad face grouped in with eight other QBs. Here's the expert analysis on Jay.

I thought Cutler would fall into the second tier based on his talent, but 16 of the 26 voters put him in the third. They lamented Cutler's inconsistency, poor mechanics, proclivity for turnovers and abbreviated postseason résumé.

A few evaluators thought Cutler took a step forward last season and could progress further now that the Bears' offensive line has stabilized. "For me, it's all about how impactful a player can be on game day," one GM said, defending Cutler. "The reason Cutler is not a one is because he is too up and down. But you talk about a guy that can beat you with his arm, and how many in the league can do it better than him? Now he finally has a line in front of him, he has more than one receiver. So, there is no way he is a three, in my opinion."

The Bears' failure to protect Cutler in past seasons arguably justified what some have seen as the QB's negative body language. "I don't know the kid," a defensive coordinator said. "I like him as a player. He runs their offense very well, he can make any throw, I think he has some toughness to him, some cockiness to him. He is as good as Matt Ryan. He's a two."
    The offensive line has been improved, he does have more weapons around him, and he has a coach that knows offensive football. Every time Cutler has stuck with the same system he's improved in the second season so I'd expect the same to apply in year two of the TCO.

Since we can't show you the entire list, we'd like to know if you think Jay will move up or down in the eyes of the anonymous experts next off season.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I don't see Jay Cutler as a third tier QB but I'd be more than pleased if the rest of the NFL saw him that way. I can understand why they've ranked it this way based on past performance but lower that Matthew Stafford???? Come on man!

I don't really care whether he moves up or down in the eyes of these anonymous selectors. All I care about is the Bears winning games and to do that Cutler will need to be sharp. Trestman and Cavanaugh believe he his so that's all I need to believe.

So who are the 16 QBs these guys consider better than Jay. What do you all think?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,181 / 1 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,524ß
    #17 is too low imo, because that would mean Romo, Newton, Foles, Smith, Dalton and Ryan are better than him. And I completely disagree with them.

When healthy Cutler is a top 10 QB, he's tough and he's also got the strongest arm in the league. Don't care what everybody says.

These guys are better than Cutler imo:

PManning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, Luck, Kaepernick.

Guys on the same level as Cutty: Rivers, Romo, EManning, Ryan.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 3
  4. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    Fack that......body language.....if I got hit anywhere half as much as he was knocked down, I'd prolly be up on serious charges. To expect anyone to have his head held up high and bearing a shit eating grin all the time he was picking out grass from his gear, we'll we would all then accuse him of being a simpleton.....I hope he comes out this year and throws that ball as hard as hell each game he plays a team that had his number in their faces..just drill it into their helmets and show em all WTF it is like attacking an angry Bear!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I can't disagree with the top four but IMHO Cutler is in the next ten somewhere. Stafford of all people has definitely not outplayed him nor Romo, and of late I'd even question taking Rivers or Rothlisberger over him.

Like I said I can understand why they may have ranked him as they did based on his past but going forward? No way. There really isn't a better arm in the NFL and all we've been waiting for is his head to catch up. I think it finally has.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +769 / 7 / -25
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,310ß
    Here are 15 guys I bet they ranked ahead of Jay…
    1. Ryan
    2. Flacco
    3. Newton
    4. P. Manning
    5. E. Manning
    6. Stafford
    7. Rodgers
    8. Luck
    9. Brady
    10. Brees
    11. Foles
    12. Roethlissberger
    13. Rivers
    14. Kaepernick
    15. Wilson

Who am I missing?
  7. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Romo is most likely the name the "experts" put up there that isn't on your list David. Even though I wouldn't put him ahead of Cutler, the perception is that he is better.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +286 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    278ß
    McCown? j/k
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +769 / 7 / -25
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,310ß
    Yes, for sure Romo. That gives us 16.

If the Bears offense performs the way we are all hoping and expecting this year, Jay is going to move up in this ranking.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Exactly and that's what this is mostly about. Jay is "perceived" as being an under achiever so he gets demerit points for that whereas Romo who was an UDFA is seen as an over achiever and gets bonus points for that. But when it all comes down to it none of that matters. Jay has the talent he just needs to win more and now that he has a team to do it with that should happen regularly.
  11. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I love the way they base everything on the years Cutler had worthless OCs and no O line and midget WR that didn't even know how to run a passing routes.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    Yeah no kidding.. honestly The Sheriff, Brees, Brady, Luck and Rodgers are the only ones who I think could most likely perform better in similar circumstances. These guys have never had to deal with horrid receivers and awful OL and incompetent OC's. Maybe one of three, or maybe a bad backfield, but besides that no one has had to deal with the trifecta of awful that Cutler was inflicted with during the beginning of his tenure with us.

You put the majority of NFL QB's in Cutlers situation he's had with the Bears thus far and they're all struggling, throwing loads of picks, having bad body language, and most are probably on IR more often than not. I'm not saying Cutler is an all time great NFL QB.. but for what he's done with what he's had to work with I don't understand how anyone can hate on him as hard as they do. People look at the DL last year (myself included) and say wow, how could any LB/DB's succeed behind that train wreck of a line? That's what Cutler was doing on the other side every single game until last year. He had pressure in his face constantly and, with good reason, had zero trust on the plays there was somewhat adequate blocking. He didn't even have a legitimate WR until the season before that. If he sucks all year this year then maybe the Cutler doubters are right, but you can't compare someone working with Rashied Davis and Devin Hester while their blindside is blocked by J Webb and are trying to learn a new offense every other year with guys who don't have any business being OC's with someone who has good WR's and adequate blocking or OC's who know how to.. ya know.. coordinate offenses.

I think Cutler is going to dominate this year, and maybe even get tossed in the MVP talk. This offense is primed to blow the hinges off of some defenses and if our defense can live up to it's potential we should have a deep playoff run. I love our offense. I'll put B Marsh and Jeffery over any duo other than perhaps Roddy and Julio. But our OL is better than a lot of others and they should only improve. Plus I love Forte in our offense, I think he breaks his career highs this year, he was dominating towards the end of the season and I think his momentum continues. If this defense can do its job and stay above a 15 ranking, we should have one hell of an offense.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 3
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    JJ and Chi kudos to both of ya' That's exactly what their opinions are based on and not on leveling the playing field for all of the handicaps Cutler has been under. Put in him in NOLA for the past four years or better yet let Rodgers swap places with him and then let's see how it turns out. As it turns out before Trestman came along the best OC he had was Ron Turner and that's not saying much.

Cutler consistently stated his preference for bigger receivers yet who did he get? The only regular who even hit 6' was Bennett and he missed about half his career with injuries. We got him a tall TE and then JA turned around and traded him because Martz didn't want him but Martz never stuck around. Maybe JA should have thought of that before he sent the only receiver we had over 6'2" packing.

There are no more excuses for Jay and he knows that too but he also knows now that the team is behind him 100% and that with the tools he's been given he needs start winning the big games now. No more outs. This is the first year of the rest of his career and up to this point it's all been about getting to this point. Now it's time to produce like a top ten QB and silence the critics.

I don't know if anyone heard the Donavan McNabb interview they posted on CSN but he said that Cutler was the luckiest guy in Chicago to have gotten the deal he got without having to prove himself. What a jerk. McNabb is luckier to have even be in the NFL at all the last two years of his career and he's been bitter about not finding work ever since. Even Minny didn't want him and as QB poor as that team is that doesn't say much for McNabb. Even more ironic is that there career stats are pretty comparable and yet McNabb played on much better teams.

I think he's just pissed that the Bears would even give him a sniff back in 2012 when he was looking for a job. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but his comments about Jay's deal were completely disrespectful. I don't think anyone will be asking him to stop by to say hello to anyone. :crybaby:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,400 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,405ß
    Jay has the potential to be a top-tier QB. And we all know there are mitigating circumstances as to why he has not been a top-tier QB. But he's in his 9th season and now is surrounded by talent as good as any QB in the NFL has, so it's time to show he can live up to the hype.

Is Jay a 3rd tier QB? I don't know. I do know that he hasn't proven himself to be a top-tier guy yet. Loads of promise though. But it would be nice to see himself finally prove to be the QB we've all hoped he would be.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Amen brother and I'll step out and say I believe we saw that process begin last year when his stats were the best he'd put up since he came to the Bears. If he'd played all 16 games he would like have had 30 tds or more and that was in his first year in that offense and playing behind a relatively green OL also in their first year together. The tools are all there now he just has to pick them up and use them.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    Trestman seems to have saved Cutlers career if he turns it on this year, if Cutler ends up being what we think he can be then his "legacy" will be looked back as turning around when Trestman arrived. Imagine if he played out his career under Lovie, poor dude. Really I suppose he has Emery to thank in the grand scheme of things, since he proud Trestman (and weapons) here. I think it's super obvious the difference in Cutty, as overused as it is he's really "bought in" to the system and that makes a world of difference. He trusts the guy calling the plays and has the weapons to execute them. He has confidence in the system and that changes everything. His mechanics are better. He gets the ball out quickly. He spreads it around more. He has control over that offense and I expect great things. Even this year people are saying that he's looking even better than last year, holding the ball higher and the little things like that. Should be fun.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I'm gonna look at it more like Trestman jump started Cutler's career which had kind of stalled out here. Cutler has incredible talent and intelligence but we weren't giving him much of a shot at using all of it before now.
  18. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    Cutler might be better but so far he havnt really shown it yet. This year will make the make or break for Cutler imo. This time he has weapons, an Oline and a coach with an offensive mind that can think. Stay healthy Jay and better INT to TD ratio.
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +504 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    Comes down to his injury concerns and his meltdown games. This year I think will define the rest of Jays career and how he will be remembered as a player. He has to stay healthy and has to avoid the meltdown games in order for us to really be successful.

I think 17 is about right for right now. This year he is in the perfect position to leap into the top 10 but those 2 glaring issues are the only thing that can hold him back.

Only time will tell.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +719 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    440ß
    Even if Cutler won a SB I don't believe he would move up very much on this list. Once media turns on you it's very hard to move that opinion to the upside ask Lebron.