Cutler Ranked as 17th Best NFL QB...............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jul 3, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,375 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,370ß
    I know, but we both know that the Wonderlic doesn't equate to football IQ. It will be interesting to see how Jay does this year. He has the talent. He's always had the talent.
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    WTF is misspelled here Miss Beatrice Spelling? The "s" on my keyboard sticking? If that's all then here I fixed those for you. My brain fills in missing letters automatically sorry yours won't function on that level. It's just too bad my spell checker won't.
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    So you want to narrow it down that much huh? If you swapped Cutler with Rodgers over the last five years I wonder if we wouldn't be having this same debate about him.

Look at the W/L record of guys who rank around where Cutler does and higher. There's a lot of QBs who haven't done any better and yet had better talent surrounding them.

I'm not putting Cutler on the same level as Rodgers here but after the top four they could just have easily taken the next dozen or so and listed them alphabetically. It would probably have been less subjective to do it that way.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +504 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    While Trestman's system seems to favor more of a scallop over a meat cleaver, Jay will still be Jay and use his huge arm either for positive or negative. Trestman will never coach that out of Jay, it's just who he is. What he needs to learn is picking his spots just a little more carefully.

At the end of the day Jay will still be Jay and what we can hope for is Trestman curbs him a bit and we get more highlight plays then picks. Regardless, both are still going to happen.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    If you can hit 300 yards off the tee if there any sane reason for teeing off with a 5 iron on a par 5? A 200 yard shot from the left rough is still better than a 300 yard shot from the middle of the fairway.

Yeah, the guy has a big arm and he likes to use it. Too much at times but I've also seen him put balls into windows few if anyone else could do. Three years from now if he still hasn't won anything that's the time to bitch and throw in the towel but not now.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,375 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,370ß
    It was encouraging last season to see that Jay was listening to Trestman and consequently doing some things a bit differently. And this was in the 1st season under Trestman, so there is hope that we will see further improvement from Cutler this 2nd season. I thought Jay had better pocket presence and awareness. He seemed to get the ball out a bit quicker too.

We talk a lot about how the offensive line improved last year, but watching the games from last season you can clearly see that Jay had a significant part in improving the OL - by being more pocket aware and getting rid of the ball rather than taking the sacks. It's a two-way street with the OL and QB - both - having to work together to keep the sack rate down. You can see that Trestman has helped Jay significantly in this area.

Look at the stats comparing Cutler's 2012 and 2013 seasons. Even though Jay played 4 fewer games in 2013, his numbers are significantly better:

YearGAttCompPctAtt/GYdsAvgYds/GTDTD%IntInt%Lng20+40+SckSckYRate
    20121543425558.828.930337202.2194.4143.260T3853825081.3
    The 8 point jump in his QB rating is especially significant. His completion percentage jumped from 58 to 63%.

I agree with folks here that Jay won't completely change his game under Marc Trestman, but I also believe that he will improve his game. Not change who he is, but rather hone his skill set to the max by making fewer mental mistakes. This is Trestman improving Jay's football-IQ. Cutler will still throw his share of ints but I don't expect those 5 int game meltdowns anymore. I can live with that. So can the Bears.

BTW, here are those same two seasons of Jay's stats, with each trended out to a full 16-game season. It gives a better comparison (more "apples to apples" for the two years). We really need for Jay to have a healthy year. That would be a huge improvement right there:

Statistics are trended to a 16-game season for both years & the numbers rounded off
    YearGAttCompPctAtt/GYdsAvgYds/GTDTD%IntInt%Lng20+40+SckSckYRate
    20121646327258.828.932357202204.4153.260T4154126781.3
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,375 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,370ß
    I sometimes wonder about how our pre-Cutler quarterbacks would have fared with Phil Emery and Marc Trestman here. I know we often are derisive about some of these past QB's, but my gut feeling is that they might have been decent QB's if developed properly by Trestman - and been in a better offensive scheme with better support weapons.

And I'm not just talking about guys like Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton. I look at what Trestman did with Josh McCown last year and I can't help but think some of our past QB's who floundered under Lovie Smith offenses, with poor talent - that maybe they would have been better QB's if given half a chance. Having Emery/Trestman here now is light-years better than Angelo/Lovie. I actually feel a bit sorry for some of the guys who came in here (on offense) under the old regime. It must have been pure hell.
  8. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +334 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    180ß
    So, does Jay fit in that? He has all the talent, heck I even think hes one of the toughest QB's around, but great decisions? Nah, and he made some brain freezing last year too, im not dissing him, im just afraid of Bad Jay again, just like I know u are, but I just hate it when he blows games for us so harshly, just maaad, dont wanna see him do it again, im really sick of it.

p.s. dont give me that he had bad oline and coaches, believe me im well aware...
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,375 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,370ß
    I think the jury is still out on this with Jay. But he did make better decisions (overall) last season, so that is encouraging. If he will take another step in the right direction this year (with his decision making) then I think Jay will be a really solid and dependable QB for us as we move forward. I'd be shocked if he regressed. Trestman seems to have his trust, and Jay is making an effort to do better. When you look objectively at his stats 2012 (Lovie era) versus 2013 (first season in a Trestman offense) it sure looks encouraging. He's moving in the right direction anyway, by getting better.
  10. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +334 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    180ß
    I agree, but there is one thing that bothers me, if we put his injury(es) aside, he looked better (decisions wise) at the beginning of the season or even certain games!? as he got more comfortable - there he goes again! you (we) could almost sense it - here it comes... we were in a chat room and u could see it right away, almost before the huddle
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,795 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,992ß
    They would have done better, but there is a reason that Rex and KO are what they are after a few other stops around the league. Neither are even tier 2 qb's, Rex's SB year was a near perfect D/ST effort where he did just enough not to screw it up(until the SB).
    If they had Marshal/Jeffery/Forte/Bennett and an OL....they would have been looked at more positively then they are now, Rex is a poor mans JC, not sure he gets to the SB w/this O; KO doesn't like to force it downfield, but might not have to w/these weapons his first year in Den was his best year; but still he couldn't win once teams started game planning against him.

The level of talent Jay was given last year is absurd, this is literally a plug and play O at this point, find the guy pre snap the D isn't going to double/triple, let the play develop to verify what you read and find the single covered player. He needs to have a career high in everything but int's and fum's, and those should be near career low's.
  12. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    Isn't Cutty a diabetic? I am not familiar with the disease but I read that can sometimes cloud Cuttys decision making because of his adrenalin vs insulin levels?
    If this is the case then knowing and trusting Trestman and the Oline has to be a bit calming to him and would help make better decisions game time..
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Yes, he is but I don't know if there's any scientific way to figure out just how much of an impact that may have on his decision making process. If it does then they need to work to overcome it. There's a solution for everything except death. :choking: This guys faking!