cutler really a giant puzzle

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by a_miljan, Sep 29, 2013.

1. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +243 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    204ß
    As much as I love the thought of Blanchard being our guy, if he hasn't pushed aside McClown yet or earned a spot on the roster I doubt he goes anywhere. Yeah I know he got hurt.
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    505ß
    BiH, I'm not talking about this season. JC is the QB this season barring injury. I'm talking about the contract decision for him this coming offseason. There's no point keeping Jay around after this year (which will cost big money) if he's not the guy to lead you going forward. And QBs who repeatedly shit the bed in winnable games aren't worth wasting time and money on.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    MP, while I don't disagree, I point you towards Dallas and SD and Romo and Rivers; I point to you the fact that Carson Palmer is still starting in the NFL and Josh F'n McCown is still a backup. Romo and Rivers were also paid big money. Cutler might well not be the long term answer but b/c Emery was unable to trade back, he was unable to draft for a possible future and therefore Cutler might well, unless Cutler just tanks 1/2 a season and I don't see that, be the answer for the next 1-2 years even at the exorbanant cost it will take to keep him.
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    505ß
    Ric, I know Jones way overpaid Homo. Just like Baltimore was forced into overpaying Flacco after his killer postseason effort last year. I don't want to be one of those teams who way overpays a "B" quarterback just because they're afraid of change and the unknown. If the "Cutler franchise QB experiment" fails this year (and I'd say we are about 2 more thumb-sucking outings like today away from Emery concluding that), then Jay will be just another one of those failed starter-vets you love to rant and rage about.

So why would you want to keep him? It would be time to take a chance on some rookie that Trestman sees upside in. There's no upside left in Jay Cutler if he can't purge himself of the very things Trestman is trying like hell to drive from his thick skull.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,586 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    I don't disagree w/you, but I think Emery will. But I also don't think it would be just 2 more of such games either, I think it would take 3-4, and 2 or 3 in Div games against the likes of GB and or Det to really make Emery want to move NEXT year. Fact is teams are crazy and will overpay for 2nd rate qb's; and my problem w/the likes of Rivers Romo and Cutler is not their talent level, all have elite talent, what makes them B is their decision making, and their arrogance in thinking they can force throws that time and again get picked.

Again I keep going back to what GB said last year, they never were worried about Marshal b/c they new given enough time Cutler would throw THEM the ball; well in the first 4 games he now has 6 picks and 2 lost fubmles to go w/his 8 td's; he's only gone 1 game(against Pitt) w/out turning the ball over. That just doesn't cut it in todays NFL. IF Cutler could just learn to take what the D gives him, and throw it away when the D has the play beat he'd be a franchise guy w/out question. Instead we are guaranteed to get games like today a few times a year, and it always seems to be against the teams we need to beat to get into the playoffs.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    505ß
    We will see and you may be right about Emery although I hope not. If Jay fails this year (and I maintain he's probably on a shorter leash for the future than you estimate--like crapping the field vs Green Bay for example), it would be a disaster long term to waste $15-20 million on him. The D is leaking oil and that cash could be better spent shoring that up rather than wasting it on turnover-happy QB who can't get his head straight and whose ceiling seems to be 10-11 wins and no SB appearances.

As you said, 8 TDs & 8 TOs isn't getting it done and isn't worth an extension IMHO.

PS: I would add that Emery had the balls to move on from a fan favorite in Urlacher and a HC coming off a 10-6 season so I hope he pulls the plug on the Cutler era if "Bad Jay" isn't put to rest over the next 12 games.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,030 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,730ß
    +1

QFT
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    gotchya. Yeah, hard to argue with that, but I'd have to temper that with the thought that the person replacing Cutler would have more upside than Cutler (of course an EXTREMELY hard thing to determine up front). In other words, I don't want to just drop Cutler no matter what. Winning some games with him is still better than dropping him on principle for someone that has nowhere to go either. I know that is not what you are saying though.

But yeah, if he is determined not to be the guy, I'd try my damndest to get someone else quick.
  9. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    And think about how conservative they had Cutler play in that PIT game to not turn the ball over. There's just a consistent pattern with Cutler that many just don't want to acknowledge. He is very arrogant in the sense that he will force any ball in any situation. And if you let him loose, lots of turnovers are going to be a part of this guy's game. And he is not the kind of QB that takes what the D gives him. And I don't think its ever going to change. Which is why in the years to come you'll hear people say, "So and so is just another Cutler..." My bigger concern about this game was Cutler's absolute collapse when the Bears needed him to quiet that crowd and get us going. It just continues with any formidable opponent. Also of note, Cutler is now 15-30 against teams that are above .500, that's including his DEN days. The facts don't lie about this guy.
  10. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,615 / 18 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß
    Jesus Christ. One bad game in another new offense and ya'll are ready to start over lol. As my 13 year old niece would say "Calm yer tits". Can we at least realize that this is another new offense for the guy? Yes, he'll piss ya off. Yes he'll a throw one or two that will make ya scratch yer head. He did just help us win a couple games in the fourth quarter. He's shown more balls than any Bears QB in the last I can't remember when. Just calm yer tits fellas.

From where I stand Jay Cutler gives us the best chance to win NOW. This teams isn't set up to win three years from now. We're set up to win within the next three. Do you really think "starting over" now or next year or the year after increases our chances to win? Maybe six years from now. Ima steal something from the greatest ok 13th greatest movie ever made.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Looks like you are standing in the land of make believe.
  12. Strangerwithcandy11

Ratings:
    +1,615 / 18 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß
    Yeah, you've won me over. One bad game in another offense is proof that Cutler should be replaced. I can't wait to see the replacement and the leash givin to him to "get it right". We have the offense on the field that can win a close game. We let today get away. It happens. Deal with it. We may even lose next week. Thank God the season isn't over after next week.

Long story short calm yer tits. If after this year Jay isn't the guy then we'll rebuild and we'll replace Briggs and Peppers,Tillman. We'll replace the QB and we'll be right there ready to compete for the chance to maybe finish .500
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    505ß
    SWC, the point is...if Cutler can't slay his demons (which clearly were in full view today) we are looking at a multi-year rebuild no matter what. If you're content with 7-10 win seasons and not sniffing the SB, then the status quo is just fine. But we aren't going to get to the promised land with a QB who's head is so far up his ass that he has as many turnovers as TDs, even after two garbage 6s today after the game was all but over.
  14. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    My tits are calm. Your wife's tits won't be though, when Mr. D. swings by the house and does for her what you can't do buddy.
  15. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    It's like we just lost the playoffs. We got beaten. There are so many new pieces on this team you'd think we'd give them more than 4 weeks to get it right. I would like to see some better tackling though. We are making superstars out of one player a week.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Here is the issue with Jay and the reason that so many people are starting to believe that he cannot take us to a championship. It dosent mean a damn thing how great his arm is if he is making horrific decisions and reverting back to the old jay. Even on his best day he is not a tier one qb. He is nowhere near rogers, manning ect even when he is red hot. This tier 2 qb is fine and well until we see the games that happens EVERY YEAR where he melts down. When this happens we have absolutely no chance to win the game. None. When bad jay shows up there isnt anyone that can do anything to preserve the game, we are going to lose plain and simple.

The defense can't save him if he turns the ball over 4 times, one going down to the 2 yard line and another for 6 points.
    The WRs cant save him if he is missing them WIDE OPEN in key situations.
    The OL cant save him when he is holding the ball lazily, with one hand for 7 seconds oblivious any kind of internal clock.

If we could just look at this and say "wow i dunno what happened but that was the worst game he will ever have" then it would be different. Problem is we KNOW that this is going to happen again and it seems to be against key opponents. Most the time the question on a qb is are they good enough to win you a superbowl. In our case not only do we wonder this but we have to ask if he can just put 4 games together without this happening. I realize its only one game but its an ugly trend and he only has to do this 3 more times MAX imo before Emery and co start actively looking to move on.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Strangerwithcandy11

Ratings:
    +1,615 / 18 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß

Slay his demons? I'd say one of the top "demons" is learning another offense/revolving door. In that list I'd like to add "The expectations of the common Bears fan". Is it realistic to expect Jay or ANY QB to learn a new system damn near every year AND live up to Super Bowl or bust? For arguments sake lets say we cut bait with Jay after this year. Cutler is gone. Now we have a new QB learning a NEW system with players who are a year older. A defense that's a year closer to being rebuilt. Of course it's being rebuilt while the offense is teaching a new QB the same shit that our old QB would have been a year deeper into. How many year are we into "sniffing the playoffs".
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Strangerwithcandy11

Ratings:
    +1,615 / 18 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß

Yeah this was a shitty game for him in this offense. How many years have those other QBs you mentioned been in the same system/consistancy? Do you think its an accident that Rodgers knows where everyone is going to be on every down? Yes, Jay had a bad day. It took week four and three wins in those four for people to fold up tent on Jay and claims "its over man". Tits not calmed lol
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    505ß
    I'd say Jay's demons are terrible ball security, lack of an internal clock, and a disconcerting habit of melting down and wetting the bed in key games. That stuff has nothing to do with the finer points of a new scheme and new play book.

He was wildly inaccurate today. He held the ball like a deer in the headlights even when he had time. He throws quacking ducks expecting Marshall to bail him even against safety help. His mechanics and focus go to shit for long stretches. When your turnovers are as your numerous as your TD passes (and that is generously including two garbage scores today after the game was lost), you aren't playing worthy of a new contact in the tens of millions per year. Simple as that. If you can't see all that, I can't help you.

This is a CONTRACT YEAR for Jay and a decision year for the coaching and front office staff at the position. I can't imagine Emery and Trestman are very pleased with the regression they saw today at the QB position in a key and winnable division game.
  20. Strangerwithcandy11

Ratings:
    +1,615 / 18 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß

Holy shit!!! I missed this gem lol. What can I say? You got me.......
    • Like Like x 1