cutler really a giant puzzle

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by a_miljan, Sep 29, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01

nonono JABF, in the past we never saw bad Jay, we saw the flaws in the OL, WR's, OC, HC, it was never JC's fault. So for those that blindly see him as elite and up there w/the elite qb's this is his first bad game as a Bear. Just like in Den, it was never bad Jay, it was th D putting him in a bad position and the team having to throw, it was never Jay's bad decisions or bad mechanics.

There is no dealing w/them. For all the things Cutler does that is great, rocket arm, tough as nails, there is a serious flaw, .02 brain, and that flaw ends up causing bad mechanics and bad decions, which lead to days like Sunday.

The reality is IF Trestman can limit JC to just 2-3 games like this it will be a huge accomplishment, and he'll get his contract b/c he'll have shown he can be the guy that gets the team to the playoffs and possibly farther.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

IDK Ric. The guy went to Vanderbilt. I don't think it's his brain. More like habits and scars from a boy named Suh. Trestman can fix the first. More time not getting killed and a tough mental attitude are what he is going to need to get past the second. I want to wait and see how this movie ends. Could go either way IMO.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01

I know a lot of smart people that couldn't make a good choise to save their lives. You can be intellegent and stupid; my middle sister is a great example, never had to study from Kinder-Sr in HS. Could have gone to whatever college she wanted, got knocked up by a drug addict, left him to get married to a drunk, left him to get married to a lazy good for nothing douche; all the while working jobs well beneath her ability to support them and her kids.

Reality is Cutler just doesn't know how to make good decisions, he's got 8 TD's and 8 turn overs in 4 games, and only 1 game w/out any turnovers...that's poor decision making at it's finest and I'm not 100% sold anyone can remove that from him; and he's not Farve and this is not the NFL of the past where your qb could afford to be a gunslinger(ie risky turnover machine).
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

I'm in a "wait and see" mode too. Obviously, we have to give Trestman a full 16 games to see what he can do with Cutler. Maybe he can help Jay to not totally crap himself in big games. He also needs to help Jay play more than one quarter of solid football a game. It's a 4 quarter sport. It helps to show up and play well in more than the 4th quarter.

Here's where I personally "set the bar" on Cutler. Can he perform well in games against the best teams in our division (i.e. Green Bay & Detroit), so we can win it. Or, will he continue to fall apart in these games and cost us wins? That's where I personally set the bar. He's no good to us, if his meltdowns continue against the better teams in our division.

But if Trestman can "fix" him, and he can keep from wetting himself in big games (especially Green Bay & Detroit), then I hope he says here for a long long time. Nobody will be happier with Jay than I will be.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68

Yeah that's the most annoying thing about it. It's almost a religious obsession with those who don't want to look at Cutler realistically.

Like yourself, I like the guy and desperately want him to "get it" and lead us to wins. He was fun to watch on opening day (I was there). He had one pick when he was contacted mid throw but otherwise protected the ball well against a very good D. Then he led a winning 4th quarter drive capped off by a bullet to Marshall for 6. Thing of beauty.

It's just so frustrating after seeing that to watch him a few weeks later come completely unhinged and throw/fumble the game away like he's done so many times before. I thought we were past that point in a WCO with a much improved OL and supporting cast. I'm sick of it.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. a_miljan

a_miljan

Can I be honest with you guys? I like Jay, i really do, he looks like a good guy, and im sure he is furios with himself after games like this, but it looks like its not just o-line...
    But, i want to give him a few more chances, hell, this entire season, and if it doesnt go well, at least we tried, gave him good oline, good recievers, good te...
  7. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

I'm waiting the full season before I judge him. Trestman needs more time to work out bad habits and mechanics that hes developed. He's played pretty good so far, and he had a bad game against a defensive line that has in the past kicked his head in. Jay's not made of stone. He looked nervous out there, and his play suffered considerably.

Trestman already knows that Cutler is gun shy, hell he's shell shocked from the past few years. Which is why he established protection in the Cinncinnati game first, then allowed Jay to make some throws.

I'm reading some of these comments in this thread and it looks like quite a few people have given up on Cutler. I haven't. We've got the entire season.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68

This point can't be emphasized enough. In '85, if Jimmy Mac made a bad decision and turned the ball over at the 50, it wasn't all that big of a deal. The D would get a stop, a sack, or at least hold them to 3 almost every time. Those days are gone now. Not just that great particular D is long gone but also the rules/enforcement regime that made it possible. Ray Lewis may be a douche in many ways but he was right last week when he said "it's not a fair fight" anymore for defenses. He's right. The modern NFL is so skewed toward offense (I won't go through the examples of what advantages offenses have today over 20 years ago) that its very very difficult for defenses to hold up against good Os when they're handed extra possessions on short fields. It's almost impossible.

One of the key features of the elite/near-elite modern NFL QB is that he must protect the ball.

I could care less if Cutler doesn't or can't match the receptions or yards of a Rodgers/Brees/Brady/etc but he MUST REDUCE THE TURNOVERS like they do.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

I'd prefer you lie to me and tell me we have a vicious pass rush.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

I figured the same thing. I'm not about pulling the plug on Jay after one bad game. Let's see where he is at, at the end of the season. Then we'll know more.

I agree 100% about Jay not being made of stone and being nervous - affecting his play. Maybe over the course of the season, he can shake some of the nervousness. He truly has had the crap kicked out of him, for years, here in Chicago. No offensive line to protect him from physical beatings. But, if he can't get over the fear/nervousness, then that's another thing. That would mean "Bad Jay" performances will pop up in big games (like we've seen for years now).
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JJ-30

JJ-30

Why, you put it out there for comments and I gave you mine, just because you don't like comments doesn't I care one bit
  12. a_miljan

a_miljan

it looks to me like ur lost in conversation, check ur replies im sure u'll get it
    • Like Like x 1
  13. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

14. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

I think this next game is great for the Bears. We get to see if Cutty can match up with Brees. I don't think Saints D is still any good but our D isn't what it used to be. This will be excellent time to see if we can match fire with fire. This game in my opinion is Cuttys coming out party or possibly his going out party.
  15. tbear1

tbear1

I think we are closing in on 3-2 and seeing the turn-over machine next week. I would have felt better going into the game after a win with the Lions, but that is behind us. The Saints are better than the Lions.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

yeah. That's how I see it also.
  17. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

A lot of Bears fans have simply never done their homework on Cutler.

At his four year tenure at Vanderbilt, Cutler held a 11-35 record and never went to a bowl game.

WTF do some of you guys even know about Cutler when you don't even recognize what a perennial LOSER he was in CFB's toughest conference?

Even Grossman had far batter success than Cutler.
  18. Tarkus

Tarkus

Stat are supplemental by nature. Using just stats is the tool of the lazy & weak minded...
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

I had the Bears winning the Lions game and losing the Saints game. Now this changes everything they must win the Saints game or we become just another joe average team.
  20. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

And get ready to watch how poorly your lover boy Cutler plays against the Saints.

I can barely wait to see jokers like you use the defense as an excuse as to why Cutler threw so many picks and played like shit against Brees.

He's going to show us all what a basket case he really is. There is absolutely no excuse for Cutler not to play well in this game. The Bears need the win and we'll swallow some real hard truths about this dumbass from Vanderbilt after this game where Brees makes him look like a turd.