Cutler showing same old bad habits in new offense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 16, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...haugh-bears-chicago-20130816,0,1867024.column
    Cutler showing same old bad habits in new offense
    Interception vs. Chargers another sign he's struggling to put ball in right spots in Trestman's offense
    David Haugh In the Wake of the News

August 16, 2013
    By now, nobody has found reason to doubt that Bears players have bought into new coach Marc Trestman, a point Jay Cutler oddly raised on the first day of training camp.
    The more pertinent question, after the Bears beat the Chargers 33-28 on Thursday night at Soldier Field in their second exhibition game, poses how confident everybody at Halas Hall should feel buying into Cutler.
    Another emerging one: When will it become obvious Cutler has invested in truly changing as a quarterback under Trestman?
    Eventually it will, right?

The Bears fired Lovie Smith after a 10-6 season and hired Trestman because general manager Phil Emery wanted a dramatic change offensively — a move easy to justify. But for real change to take hold on the side of the ball that desperately needed it, the Bears cannot tolerate the status quo from the offense's most important player.
    Yet more than anything in four series against the Chargers, Cutler looked like the guy most responsible for getting three previous Bears offensive coordinators fired instead of the player most likely to help Trestman succeed.
    The Bears' starting offense departed after scoring 14 points in the first quarter, production Trestman received after a demanding week of practice. Matt Forte ran with authority, and the revamped rookie right side of the offensive line — guard Kyle Long and tackle Jordan Mills — provided glimmers of hope. Left tackle Jermon Bushrod appeared agile pulling on Forte's 58-yard run, and Devin Hester finally resembled, well, himself returning the opening kickoff 45 yards.
    But the interception Cutler threw with 5 minutes, 31 seconds left in the first quarter left the game's deepest impression by renewing doubts whether Trestman's new offense can survive his quarterback's old habits. Chicagoans have seen that videotape before and know how it ends. Cutler completed 4 of 5 passes for 38 yards and a touchdown, somehow good enough to post a passer rating of 98.3 that will convince statistical analysts that everything is fine.
    Look closer. Is it really?
    Raising quarterback questions with two exhibitions remaining isn't an overreaction as much as acknowledgment Cutler needs to grow — and still can before Week 1 if he accepts coaching from a man with a track record for fixing the position. Nothing will determine success for the Bears more than the progress of Cutler. So far, evidence has been scant in games and practices that Cutler can put the ball in the right spots at the right time, as Trestman's truer version of the West Coast offense requires.
    The latest example came after the Bears had taken over at the Chargers 34 thanks to Chris Conte's interception of Philip Rivers, another quarterback stuck in a career rut. On first down, Cutler stepped up in the pocket and forced a pass to Brandon Marshall as two defenders bracketed the wide receiver. Like so many other telegraphed passes in 2012, this one was going to Marshall regardless of what else Cutler saw. Come to think of it, all four of Cutler's completions went to Marshall too.
    Linebacker Donald Butler turned his head and the ball was there, a gift from a quarterback with a history of giving. The rash decision had nothing to do with a different playbook or new scheme and everything to do with impulsiveness an eight-year veteran quarterback facing a crossroads season cannot show.
    "I didn't misread," Cutler said. "I knew what I was doing."
    That's the problem. It was one measly play in one meaningless game. But given Cutler's erratic past and allergy to coaching, it was relevant to the regular season. Nothing else matters for the Bears this preseason as much as Cutler's learning curve, and through mid-August, it looks alarmingly flat.
    "He's shown me he's not going to make the same mistake twice,'' Trestman said.
    If only Cutler made that clearer to the rest of us.
    On the second straight disastrous opening series — a trend? — Cutler held on to the ball too long on third-and-20 and took a sack instead of throwing it away. On the second series, he rebounded by throwing a beautiful back-shoulder pass to Marshall for a 5-yard touchdown. Then came his defining interception, killing any other good vibe produced. In the small preseason sample size of two quarters, Cutler has played as inconsistently as ever.
    The Bears will improve offensively only if Cutler does. He still can, but only if Trestman gets his quarterback to avoid forcing the ball into coverage the way he has since arriving in Chicago four years ago — and in Denver for three seasons before that.
    The problem with Cutler never has been executing throws but making decisions. Still is.
    Ultimately, Cutler must decide to prove he really can be coached.
    dhaugh@tribune.com
    Twitter @DavidHaugh

Copyright © 2013 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC
  2. kegstand

kegstand George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Can't wait until week one and some real football. Offseason is for player X looks awesome and more of the same from Player Y.

Preseason is the time to work on your timing and try some of these designs. Should've checked down but hopefully it was learned and as the O comes together and becomes more adept with the system these mistakes are eliminated.

What is it 4 offenses in 5 years for Cutty? Come on that will make anyone frustrated not to mention 4 of 5 new lineman last night?
    • Like Like x 6
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    Keg, that had nothing to do w/any amount of O he has tried to learn, there is NO O that would have told him it was okay to throw that pass. That pass is classic bad J. Trestman needs to role a paper up and slap him over the nose while replaying the game...then rewind it and slap him again. There is no reason other then J's own stubborn ignorance as to why he threw that.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. kegstand

kegstand George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    And with an Offensive guy in town I'm sure he will. I imagine Lovie would say we can't have that let's move forward into the next quarter of the season and try to correct it.

Whereas Trestman can sit down and dissect the play and get it right. Very excited to hopefully see that this year as it looks like our D hasn't lost a step.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    Ric is right here. That pick (and Cutler taking coverage sacks) soured what was otherwise a pretty encouraging performance by the 1st teamers. No excuse for throwing that ball. Just Jay being pigheaded and stupid like we have seen so many times. Tman needs to bitch slap all over the film room and make him practice three days in which Marshall plays but Jay is NOT ALLOWED to throw to him.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    It's really sad it took this coach this many years to get a head NFL coaching job. Or is it sadder that Lovie was picked over him in 2004 for head job?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,330 / 4 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He said head job.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    Mike no mistake ( Jay ) . If Trestman doesn't see what he's expecting out of his QB - he won't hesitate to tell Emery the same , and we'll have a new QB here next season . Tman isn't gonna fiddle'F around with a guy who is too casual with expecting that his careless boneheaded plays will continually be EXCUSED . After all he is the great JC ain't he ? Nah buddy . There's a higher standard in place now - so live up to it - or Tman will find someone who will .
    I been one of Jays biggest stand up guys . But I'm out of patience . He got too much smarts and talent to be this shoddy ( at times ) . Quit f'n around for once in ur life , and take every play seriously and smartly. When u hear NO in ur head , heed it and and look for ur dump off receiver . Keep it simple stupid . If there's 1 thing Rodgers does ... it' s that . That's why he's better . And that part of it ain't rocket science .
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Cutler continues to show that he has the Good Rex/Bad Rex syndrome. Makes a nice play on one down and then just breaks your back with a terrible play on the next. Forte was the real hero last night. And when does Cutler plan on throwing the ball to anyone not named Marshall? Same old Jay. Same ole bullshit from him.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    Cant argue . This friggin tunnel vision HAS to stop .
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    Trestman is not going risk his NFL career on JC, unless JC starts playing the way he wants; I keep hearing the team has no backup plan, the backup plan is to start over next year w/a rookie qb, Trestman is the qb whisperer, he was brought in here to fix the QB and the O, not just JC.
  12. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You know this is a great post because some of what you said has been conveyed to some of these guys and they don't get it yet. You brought up another great point Ric, many coaches don't get a 2nd chance in this league. Just like many GMs don't. As was brought up some time ago, Emery was considering giving JC a $15 mil a year deal until he hired Trestman and pretty much put that decision in his hands. And I'm with you. No way is an offensive minded coach, going to destroy his career by holding on to a QB that he doesn't believe in or that he sees the franchise can upgrade.

And all this 'the Bears don't have a backup plan blah blah blah' is idiotic on so many levels. They looked to the draft to replace Urlacher. To add quality O-lineman. But when it comes to the QB position, most Bears fans are stuck in the stoneage , thinking you can't do the same through the draft.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    I have no doubt we will be drafting a QB next year no matter what (and I don't mean a 6th rounder either).
    I also have no doubt that Jay will lose his starting job for 2014 if he doesn't step up this season.
    This year is "sink or swim" for Cutler and he's capable of doing both. We shall see...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    JC The Great. What a great name. I will have to use it from now on.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    I agree w/this. Regardless the team cannot keep trotting out McCown as a backup. And for all his skills and ability to make plays Cutler is consistently ranked as one of the worst decision makers in the league by KC Joyner(something that was talked about on ESPN radio/Chicago yesterday) which fits right in w/what I've seen of him and it again dates right back to DEN, so while he's had legit reasons to suffer in Chicago w/the OL/WR etc, they are not the sole reason he doesn't play to his full potential.

Reality is, if Tresty doesn't like what he sees from his qb this year, and doesn't feel he's willing to be coached up the team will move in a different direction and save tons in cap.
  16. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +485 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    I don't watch preseason games.
  17. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I agree with your assessment. I want JC to succeed. I am glad we have more pre-season to go because at this point he is not ready.
  18. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +149 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    Unfortunately missed the last half of the game thanks to a minor family emergency, but did see the quarter that mattered. As everyone else has already stated, that pick was atrocious decision making. And not sharing the ball wasn't much better. Trestman covered for him by talking about limited play calling, blah, blah, blah, but I can't believe that it was six plays to Marshall.

About the injury to the backup problem, I don't know if Arena ball contracts have an NFL escape clause, but Adrian McPherson played five years under Trestman as AC's backup. He left to play in the Arena league as AC looked to be playing until he was 50. He has the physical tools, but the rest is a question mark. He could be a possible interim No. 3.
  19. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    For a change I'm gonna post just once about this and then just walk away and leave it alone. This article is just one more rehash of the same old stuff and only written because Dave Haugh and his colleagues need to write SOMETHING every day so apparently they figure it might as well be about this because it's what seems to me to be most logical to them.

There's two key statements here that says it all and here they are.

"He's shown me he's not going to make the same mistake twice,'' Trestman said.

"If only Cutler made that clearer to the rest of us", wrote David Haugh.

What do David Haugh's expectations or anyone else's have to do with it? Isn't it about time we let the guy whose getting paid to deal with it worry about it and then everyone else can stop wringing their hands and getting an ulcer over one bad decision that ended up in a pick!

The past is the past. It's a new day and it's not a trend until it keeps happening from this point forward. Anything else is just inventing things to worry about to fill the need for some people to criticize Cutler. This is nothing new. He always throws picks and so did Favre and Elway, two other well known "gunslingers", and they both won Super Bowls didn't they? And both are HOF caliber QBs aren't they? It's gonna happen so to paraphrase Steve Rosenbloom, "he's Jay Cutler so deal with it".

We finally have a HC who has a rep as a top notch developer of NFL QBs. Winning NFL QBs to boot. So does David Haugh or any one here or in Bears fandom in general really think they know better than Trestman does about where he's at with Cutler and where Cutler is at as far as executing his offense? Man these microscopic reviews of every pick Cutler throws are getting old.

We scored two TDs in one quarter while he was playing yet that gets shoved to the side in favor of this? And if he'd thrown for 200 yards, complete 100% of his passes, thrown no picks but failed to produce any points then I guarantee THAT would have been in the forefront. I've never seen so many so called fans and writers who seem to be hoping he fails and that's just the ones who'll admit it. How may more wish it in secret but are afraid to admit it.

Bears fans have whined and cried about getting a decent QB for as long as I've been following this team. He's the best QB the Bears have had in over 60 years and still some are unhappy. If we're foolish enough to just let him walk away after this year I can guarantee you he'll be offered a deal from another team within a day and starting for them in 2014. If for whatever reason he's not the fit Trestman is looking for well then for God's sake at least trade him for picks like those it cost us to get him. In my book just letting him go and getting nothing in return would be a real scorch mark on Emery's reign as the GM.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    Cutler is the best Bears QB most of us have lived through. But he can improve. Maybe not to Rodgers-esque levels, but he can be much better. And that does include reducing the avoidable mistakes that come along with being a "gunslinger" like holding the ball too long, taking too many sacks, not throwing it away, and tossing ill-advised passes into double/triple coverage that often get picked.

I want to see him step up under Tresty/new weapons and elevate his game. I want to see him retained for 2014 while we develop a 2nd/3rd round draft pick for the future and/or trade bait. That's what this year is about deciding for the new regime. I'm confident he can and will do it. I don't expect Jay to ever be the ball security kind of precision QB that Brady is for instance who throws picks very rarely. But he does need to do a better job of deciding when "discretion is the better part of valor" out there.

I'm not fretting about that horrifically bad decision that was intercepted in the recent PS game. As long as there's a learning curve ongoing and lessons learned. That's Trestmans job to instill and Jay's to accept.