Cutler showing same old bad habits in new offense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Its not just that Cutler throws picks...its the timing and manner of those picks. Thurs is a perfect example of that 'timing.' Bears D get's a turnover and he just gives it away trying to force a pass. He's done this many, many times throughout his career. He turns the ball over at the worst times it seems and many of those times its due to his arrogance thinking he can make any throw. And that's what makes watching Cutler at times, so irritating. He kills the team's momentum with his greedy throws.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

While I don't think he's as bad as Grossman, he does have some of the "good/bad" thing going. It is so disappointing. He has a canon for an arm, just like Grossman. And like Rex, it seems like he has a brain fart at the worst possible times. It's just a "brain lock" and he does something incredibly stupid during these moments.

I hate (absolutely hate) the saying "he's the best we've had in 60 years" because that doesn't necessarily mean he's a great QB. It just means he's the best of the crap we've had here. Not saying much IMHO. I realize it's just pre-season. But I'm getting that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that Cutler "is who he is" and isn't going to progress beyond what we have seen.

I hope I'm wrong.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01

JABF, I like what Mulley said on 670 on Friday, I'll paraphrase, Cutler seems to think he's a finishe product, and he's not which might create a problem for him taking to the teaching of Trestman.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Hey JABF glad to see you are alive and kicking. Rumors were circulating that the reaper came for you.
  5. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

You're right JABF99, he's not as bad as Grossman. But has the Grossman quirks in him. And it doesn't matter how hard or far a QB can throw the ball, if he can't consistently connect with your guys and keep the ball out of the opponents hands. I think because the Bears have done so horribly in finding QBs, many are willing to hold onto Cutler until he hits 40. Always talking about how one day, someday, we'll have playing behind a perfect O-line and he'll have 3 All Pro receivers and 2 All pro running backs and then he'll be ready to thrive...

And that's not reality. Shit this whole Cutler saga could have been avoided if the Bears took Rodgers. He was there for the taking. But no. They wanted to hold on to that loser Grossman. The Bears should never, ever draft a Florida QB ever again. They all suck in the NFL. And Grossman lost every big game at Florida. He played poorly in everyone of those games and couldn't handle the pressure. But apparently Angelo's scouting department never gave that much thought.

And Cutler is no different. He didn't win at Vanderbilt. He teased everyone with his great talent but he didn't win. And GMs have to pay attention to what these guys do in college. You can't just fall in love with a person's tools and disregard what they actually do on the field and whether they elevate a team's play.

Cutler better have a 4000yd season with 30TDs and under 15INTs or time's to pull the plug on this joker. That's what he needs in my book to remain a Bear. I'm tired of the excuses for this guy. Work with what you have. He's never going to play behind a perfect line. And that excuse has become his #1 parachute everytime he plays poorly against above.500 teams.

At some point you just have to admit that he can't take this team to another level. And I firmly believe we saw his ceiling in that NFCCG against the Packers.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

All we've heard about Trestman is that he's the QB guru, the QB Whisperer. I'm hoping Jay can be the guy we've always hoped he would be. But if for any reason this season proves that he's not, then let's see what magic Trestman can work on someone else. Obviously, it is best if Jay works out for us. But if he doesn't then the world won't end. Many of us thought the world would end if Urlacher wasn't here. But it didn't. Yes it's not easy to get a franchise QB. But supposedly we have guys now who can acquire and coach up a good one.

I've said this before. Even if Jay does work out, I'd still like to see Trestman coach up and develop a youngster as a solid backup for now. Let's see what this guy can do. Is he really a guru, or is it just a bunch of hype?
  7. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

OK, lets be honest here no matter what Cutler does this year you're not going to be happy how he performs after reading this. Plus, you're clueless if you think Angelo would have ever picked Rogers over Benson that moron picked him when you already had Jones. Angelo is one of the worst GM's in Chicago even over some Cub GM's and I didn't even think that was possible.
  8. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

So, you're telling me if he doesn't meet what only 11 QBs did yardage-wise, five TD wise and fails to achieve an INT number that only six of those 4,000+ yard passers did, we let him walk? You're hardline stance is as ridiculous as your posts. I just talked to Miss Cleo and she said he only throws for 3,999 yards with 29 TDs and 16 INTs - what a chump.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

For me, it's not a matter of stats like yard/TDs/Ints so much as being solid in big games and not self-destructing in those situations. Just running up stats against bottom-feeders doesn't mean anything. I want to see him come up big against teams like the Green Bay Packers - instead of falling apart and becoming an int machine.

He can do it (I hope). It would be a real kick in the groin if he fails to mature so he can help the team in big games rather than being our Achilles heal doing his Rex Grossman impersonation.
  10. CNYBearFan54

CNYBearFan54

No way Cutler is as bad as Grossman! Grossman was awful and that is why he's the 3rd stringer in Washington. Cutler is far superior to Grossman and with Trestman's help,we'll see what Jay Cutler is as a great QB. He has weapons, he has the coaching, now is his time to shine. If he doesn't perform well, I don't doubt for a second that Trestman will move on from him, but I don't see that happening! I believe Lovie would say, "Jay is our Quaterback"!

BearDown
  11. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

If Cutler gets us a 4000yd season with 30TDs and under 15INTs, I'll be happy. Shit I'll quit breaking his balls. That's the kind of season I've been waiting for from that clown.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

That's what the top QBs are producing. And that's the level he needs to come up to. And he needs to beat teams above .500, including the Packers. Maybe you're ok with mediocrity and losing to the Packers year after year, while Jay just gives it away to them, but I won't put up with that anymore. Trust me the fact that you are willing to put up with subpar play from Cutler year in and year out shows just how out of touch with reality you are. And how drunk you are on the Cutler Koolaid.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. CNYBearFan54

CNYBearFan54

Would be amazing if Cutty threw for 4,000 30TDs and under 15 ints. He plays that good, the NFC North could be ours for the taking.
  14. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Really one of the worst GMs in history? Bwahahaha. He assembled a team that reached the SB in the '06 season. Assembled another team that could have reached the SB in the '10 season, had Cutler not played so awful. And that game was within reach. I'll too you what buddy, I wouldn't call a GM that puts together a SB team, one of the worst GMs. If you want to see what a bad GM looks like, go look at the guys running teams like the Browns, JAX, Titans and MIA. That's an example of a terrible GM.

And learn to read. I didn't say Angelo would have picked Rodgers. I indicated that he should have taken him and given up on that disaster Grossman.
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Yeah what a joke of a Super Bowl appearance that was, that's like saying the Patriots of 1986 Super Bowl team was the model of Patriots of today. 2006 SB team was all defense not shred of offense to be found. So what was Angelos involvement a couple lucky picks and speedster that's all? So where were all the picks for the offense that year doing what a complete bust. Lovie should have to gave half his pay to Urlacher and Hester for that year. Because if it wasn't for that SB appearance Lovie would have been fired the following year. Instead he gets the contract extension that they are still paying today. We the fans end up in complete knee jerk hiring and firing this guy, hire that guy fire this guy hire that BS. All because of one fluke Super Bowl appearance at least it's costing the Bears 6 million today for a useless coach. Bwhahahaha (what's that sound? why am I hearing Banjos? anyone?)
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68

Mr. D, friendly advice here...stop defending the suckass GMship that was the JA era. The guy couldn't field an offense if you spotted him 10 points per game. He drafted and signed way way more garbage than his few successes. Once again you're embarrassing yourself.
  17. rich1978

rich1978

We all want Cutler to succeed, that much is undeniable. I'm a Cutler fan, I've had him destroying my most important dynasty league for three years now (bah!) and I want to belive in him but the article has merit. People criticising him have merit. Cutler needs to grow as much as the rest of the offence. If Cutler plays like we have seen so far, we wont win the big one. He needs to grow.

Now I like him and I'll defend his arrogance til the end. I dont give a rat's ass if he is arrogant. Most winners are. I also think it can be positive, its a winning attide and can rally the troops. I dont care if he is sullen and aint gonna score points in a miss america personality pageant. I dont give a rats ass about that either. Its all about the W/L column and the numbers, about leading Chi to a SB and coming home with a fat ring on your finger and a badass swagger in your step. Chi aint some prissy politically correct bullshit town. We like blue collar hard working maulers. We like smashmouth football and Jim Mcmahon confidence QBs. Forget Jay's attitude, thats not an issue

What IS an issue is buying into the system and removing everything else from the equation, thats all that matters. Jay needs to step up and prove he has the balls, prove he has the character. If he does that, we win. simple as that. the D is strong, WR/RB look good, O-line looks better. Jay has the keys

The one thign that people havent mentioned on here is his contract next year. To me, yes, he needs to not only look ok, but needs to look pretty darn good. If he signs next year, we are mortgaging the farm to keep him and it'll have a knock on negative effect on other areas of the team. Baltimore are realising that right now. To justify his payday windfall he needs to make himself indispensible

The draft next year is choc-full of decent QB's and there are a few who would fit a Trestman system like a glove. No man is bigger than the team and to borrow the catchphrase of my soccer team's (Leeds United) greatest ever player, Billy Bremner, 'Side before self every time'

Over to you Jay....
    • Like Like x 1
  18. short faced bear

short faced bear

This is going to be a season long progression. You just don't undo many seasons of being shell-shocked, bad mechanics, and preferences in just a few months while learning yet ANOTHER playbook while being a competitor with an aggressive mentality. It's going to take TIME.

I'm not going to judge until I can see the OG's play the way Kromer intends-giving Jay a clean pocket, setting his feet and giving him less stress then running for his life or without getting hammered. Only THEN can his mechanics be cleaned up and his tendencies addressed.

It would be a hell of a swerve if he were just targeting Bmarsh in the preseason and come regular season target everyone BUT him.

But I digress...
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Tarkus

Tarkus

I've given Cutler more than enough passes for a non-existent OL & no WRs for too long. It doesn't explain his rookie telegraphing at times nor his seeming inability to pass up an opportunity for an INT.

This year will prove he's either got the QB IQ to raise his game in a QB friendly scheme or that he's peaked. Don't want a bunch of regular season wins knowing when we hit the playoffs against the creme of the crop he falls flat on his face.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. WearyBear

WearyBear

If the Bears do use a high pick on a quarterback, who is available in the next draft? They probably need to draft him. I really want Cutler to succeed but he's got to spread the ball around. We really don't know what Jeffrey can do yet because Jay is looking at Marshall all of the time. We know what E. Bennett can do but he's seems to get hurt a lot.