Cutler take away

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Jan 27, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    235ß
    • Like Like x 2
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    I like having him also, but stats aside, he needs to start winning the big games and not just the teams we should beat.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,767 / 9 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    123ß
    First, I am fine with Cutler's signing....

And I get the logic behind Cutler is the best QB we have ever had...however, that logic is also a potential trap...i.e. as in being happy/content/satisfied with flawed mediocrity just because you used to unabashed crap...
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I've levied plenty of criticism at Cutler as well (he drives me crazy sometimes with his avoidable turnovers and clunker games). But as usual the headlines of the contract--"7 years! $127 million!!--don't tell the full story. We now know that it is basically a market value 3 year deal with 4 option seasons to follow on a pay-as-you-go basis. The Bears as of now can walk away after 3 years with no strings attached. It also has a provision to allow the team to convert salary into signing bonus at will (if they so choose) and thereby free up cap space (the "penalty" for which is creating potential dead cap in years 4 & 5 if the team parts company with him).

All in all, I think it was a very good and fair deal. With our huge needs on defense, we aren't going to be drafting a QB in round 1/2 this year or probably not next year either. Everyone loves to point to the once-in-a-generation anachronism of New England finding a future HOF QB in the 6th but that is an extreme rarity. Basically, what I'm saying is that Cutler is the starter for the foreseeable future barring a miracle or major injury and locking him down was the right thing to do and well done at that.

We all know he's not in the "elite" category but shoddy QB play was NOT even close to the reason why we have missed the playoffs 3 straight years. He's the best option right now.
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Seqq34

Seqq34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't invest much in stories that play the BS game lol like his list of other QB's...would you rather have?....

And he puts Bradford on there! I would take Bradford over Cutler. Bradford isn't bad he's just on a crap team like the rest of the Qb's mentioned from his list. And he only named 1/3 of the league leaving the rest of the QB's as what?

If he was being honest he would throw some tough names in there to debate. Would you rather have Newton, Eli, Dalton, Matty Ice, Kap, Wilson, Rivers, and so on....you get the point. For the handful of Qb's stuck on shit teams there are just as many on the other side of the fence.

We all know Cutler is talented...i just want to see him invest more of himself into his game, and gain some confidence which is needed to win in those clutch moments.
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Clutch moments....how are Newton, Rivers, Matty Ice, and Dalton in the clutch compared to Culter? There's this idea out there that Jay doesn't perform well in big moments and it's simply false.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Seqq34

Seqq34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Obviously they all lose right? That is your angle, am i not correct? they all lose and have never won the biggie. I get it.....

I'm not trying to bash Cutler but his past talks for me....He is a good Qb and i'm not trying to take that away from reality.

He has the physical tools to throw a ball...why doesn't he have the accuracy? or why doesn't he read defenses like a Payton or Brady?

Comes down to either he isn't that good or he just doesn't put in the effort...And don't mistake me, i love the Bears and am more than happy to have and have had Cutler as Qb...I just realize he is not going to lead us to a superbowl. He might go along for the ride like a Dilfer, but lead them there he will never do.
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    No, your perception of his past speaks for you! Your perception is not the ACTUAL REALITY of the situation. Cutler has one of the best records when it comes to 4th quarter game winning drives...which correct if I'm wrong, would be clutch. Prior to this year he had 17 game winning drives and threw a TD on 11 of them, which is good enough to rank him second in QBTD% in those scenarios. This year I believe he had 3 game winnings drives/4th quarter comebacks.

Why don't all QB's read defenses like Peyton and Brady? Thats an impossible comparison because there is only 1 Peyton, and I don't think you'll see another qb like him for a very long time! Peyton is the exception, not even close to the rule. Further, look at who Peyton has gotten to work with vs. the offensive minds Cutler has worked with...who would you rather have? Same for Brady...he's worked with much better offensive minds in his career. I'm not saying Cutler is or will be anything close to those two...but look at the situations.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    Has there ever been a worse set of offensive coaches than these?

Ron Turner
    (of "Run Little Garrett Wolf Between the Tackles" fame)

Mad Mike Martz
    (fired by the pathetic Detroit Lions but cherished by Lovie)

Mike "Love Boat" Tice
    (J'Marcus Webb's #1 Web Nation Fan)

Lovie (We don't need no stinkin' offense) Smith

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with the draft prowess of the brilliant Jerry Angelo

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Seqq34

Seqq34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    FYI, no, most game winning drives won't end in a passing TD. 41% of game winning drives end in a field goal. There have also been game winning drives in which a qb has never completed a pass! Eli Manning has one of those. Further, Peyton Manning has 49 game winning drives/4th Q Comeback, the most of any qb behind Marino...in those 49 he has only thrown 15 TD's! Same for Brady who has 37 GWD. As I said...your PERCEPTION is not the REALITY.
  12. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +593 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    209ß
    The way I see it, the QB goes on the field with 10 other guys and what matters is how they perform as a unit. The Bears finished near the top of the NFL in ppg. That tells me this unit can compete offensively with any defense in the league. Yes, Cutler is not without flaws and he'll never be as good as Manning or Brady. But if we can keep this unit together for the next three years and get back in the top-10 in defense by 2017, then we've got enough to compete for the Super Bowl.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    This is what I find very encouraging David. The offense should continue to get better, and I believe we will see it this coming season. What I find amazing is the fact that the team did as well as it did the 1st season in the new Trestman offense, and with a number of young and new players. The OL in particular was completely new except for Garza, and we started two green rookies. I am expecting the offense to be one of the best in the NFL this year. I don't believe the defense can be turned around as quickly as the offense was, but it's entirely possible that it will improve enough this first year of the D rebuilding effort, to allow the team to make the playoffs.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +250 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    +1

All of the analysis that I see says it take 3+ years to fully implement a new offensive system. Considering the amount of change (staff, system, players) the performance of the offense last season was exceptional.
  15. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    235ß
    Offense turn around was amazing. If we can do anything close with the Defense (top 15) with a top 5 Offense it will be a fun season
  16. Seqq34

Seqq34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yes my perception of game winning drives are different than what you are talking about. To me it means leading your team down for a touchdown...over look the FG aspect of game winning drives but that's me. So you win ;) most GWD don't end in TD's

...what's the percentage of being behind in relation to other QB's? Also factor in teams they were on, teams they came back on, and so on...

Either way it's still pointless...none of that means Jay is clutch or isn't clutch. His past proves that without the good GWD %
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    So you want to add factors into what you deem to be clutch because the one stat that would equate to clutch...leading your team on a drive to win a game doesn't fit your agenda. It doesn't matter what it means to YOU, the definition of a game winning drive is the definition. I'm all for criticism, but at least be factual in your criticism.
  18. Seqq34

Seqq34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    so i can't have my opinion? get over yourself.....if you consider a GWD against piss poor team worthy of bragging about then that's fine. I just pointed out GWD's are misleading but whatever. You're better than me, i get it ;)
  19. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    So then what...in your estimation is clutch? Please educate us that are the unwashed masses.
  20. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,977 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    The problem i have with Cutler is that he has only had one season with us in which he played all 16 games (his first). Its hard to pad those stats and lead us to victory when you are sitting on the bench injured with a clipboard.
    • Like Like x 1