Cutler throws to Marshall because he catches the ball!

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JoeBear, Aug 16, 2013.

1. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    A lot of complaining about Cutler only throwing to B. Marshall. Well, get used to it. Until he finds another receiver that he trusts and can hang on to the ball it is going to keep happening.

Yes, he does force the ball, but it is because Marshall catches it. Anyone who saw the first touchdown against SD knows why. Marshall was covered like a blanket and still managed to hold off the defender with his left hand and catch it with his right. Other receivers would have dropped it then complained about the defender.

If one of the other guys, Jeffery, Bennett, Morgan, somebody, steps up maybe it will change. My only disappointment in the SD game is that they did not use Forte as a receiver as they have been promising. He could be the wild card in the Bears passing attack.
  2. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,449 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    755ß
    Yeah, but so do opposing defenders, but he shouldnt throw to them all the time either.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    The proportion of his passes that go to Marshall cannot and should not match the percentages placed last year. Yeah, he needs to be targeted more than anyone else on the field not named Matt Forte, but for us to have a successful year, he must be targeted a little less.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    988ß
    This is a backwards stupid statement, Jeffery caught plenty last year, and Earl Bennett 2 years ago had best hands in the league, do I even have to mention Forte and how well he catches the ball?
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +271 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    281ß
    I railed about this last season . Alshon Jeffery is a great talent . If Jay REALLY wants to take the next step he HAS to lose his BM tunnel vision . If opposing D's know they only have to focus on 1 dude -yes they can stop it . So Jay has to stop it . Spread that mf'n ball around and keep em guessing. It's the only way to reach that next level for JC . And he has to make a conscious effort to do it . If the other receivers see the same old sh!t then they're gonna develop a f'it attitude and run their patterns half assed . Then when J looks for them and they're not open , it's his own fault - cuz they're not really expecting to get the ball . Its just plain ole human nature .

JAY - give other dudes a chance to make plays . Its all they want and you'll be surprised w the results .
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    41ß
    Who's Morgan? o_O
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,546 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    Sorry, but can't agree with the OP. It is too easy to shut down an offense that is only using one person. Trestman is not an idiot and one of the things he mention he wants to change is only throwing to Marshall. If it was such a good idea to only throw to Marshall, then he would leave it as is. You need to have tiple targets and they all need to be able to contribute. If only one person can catch (and I don;t agree with that either), then they need to find new players.

The issue is Cutler is eithe not comfortable checking down (either because he is not good at it or he does not think he has the time). We have other peopl that can catch. He needs to spread it around.
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    It's only one lousy preseason game guys. Even Trestman wasn't all that concerned about it and he explained some of the reasons for it in his post game. Yeah Cutler needs to spread the ball around more and last week he did didn't he? This week Marshall's back and he gets some tossed his way including one which never should have been.

Other guys caught the ball last week, this week Marshall caught them all, and next week who knows. They were playing on a short field and Trestman said he didn't have all of what he wanted available, which is why no Forte I believe, there were plays called for Bennett but they didn't work and we ran a lot. Other than that Marshall was open. I'm just happy we have a WR of his caliber who goes out there and earns his paycheck every week.

Too many people are putting way too much under a microscope right now.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    He doesn't check around and holds on to the ball way too long. T-man isn't going to put up with this level of play all season. Yes it is pre-season, but we deserve to see some progress.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    I half agree and half disagree tbear. Whether it's posters here or sportswriters or talking heads everyone wants something just a little different than the next but all want it to happen on their terms and that's not the way it works.

Cutler runs the plays he's handed to run along with whatever options go with them. Trestman is the only guy who can really decide what he needs to do and what plays he needs to send in in order for Cutler to succeed in this offense.

For four years I've watched OC after OC NOT use what Cutler is very, very good at and that's moving around, running rollouts, naked boots, and waggles so he can throw on the run. He can make as many plays with his feet as he does with his arm and it's way past the time he should be doing just that. A lot of his success here in Denver came from being allowed to do that just like Elway before him.

Cutler is another Elway as far as arm strength, mobility, and accuracy throwing while moving but to date nobody has really taken advantage of that. We saw it once the other night and he completed a quick toss to Marshall for a nice gain. I agree that he holds the ball too long at times and seldom checks down but now that he has RBs and a TE who can be used for that it's up to Trestman to reinforce his need to do it when there isn't a better choice. (the tough part will be convincing Jay there isn't a better choice)

Right now they're just experimenting with stuff trying to figure what works and what won't. As the season progresses I truly expect to find the offense running more efficiently than it is now. Still, expecting a QB with an arm like Cutler and big tall WRs and TEs who can get open or fight for the ball against tight coverage to simply throw check downs to his FB or RB is asking for something that isn't gonna happen all that much.

Cutler is a "gunslinger" whose used to making the big play and not a "game manager" type. If that's all we want then McCown would be the guy to use. That's all he's capable of but Cutler can do so much more than that so why ask or expect less of him. Yeah, he needs to learn to make better decisions and not always think he can make every throw into tight coverage work but you really don't want to change what he does best.

If what Trestman wants isn't what Cutler does best then trade him or let him go (that however would be very stupid) and find the guy who does do it the way he wants it done. But I'm a long way from being convinced that's the way it is between those two. Emery wants Cutler to succeed and so does Trestman so as long as Cutler wants that just as bad, and he sure seems to, it'll work.
  11. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    This is kind of a ludicrous assessment. Yes Bmarsh is a great player and comes up with jump balls. This is no way to excuse staring down one WR and forcing throws that are not there. This is something you work to eliminate in high school qbs but not an NFL qb. Yes Bmarsh is a great playmaker but we have other weapons as well. Lastly before we get up in arms over that throw we have to remember its an ungameplanned pre season game, lets see what the RS brings.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. CNYBearFan54

CNYBearFan54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Brandon Marshall is a #1 receiver and certainly deserves the targets he gets. However, when you have Alshon Jeffery, a new receiving TE in Martellus Bennett, then have the options of Forte, Earl Bennett, Joe Anderson, and or Devin Aromeshodu, you have to distribute the ball effectively! I do think BM deserves the targets he gets, but Jay NEEDS to use the other receivers or were in deep shit before the season even starts! I hope to see Matt Forte used in the passing game, and Martellus Bennett lined up wide sometimes! Here's to hoping! BearDown
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Oh yeah? He hands the ball off to Forte, because he can hold onto the ball, too. Someone smell some controversy brewing? lol
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    As great as B.Marsh is, a one-dimensional offense won't improve our chances of winning super bowls. Great opponents shut down one-trick ponys. They sure did last year. The better teams just double and triple teamed B.Marsh and beat us.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. CNYBearFan54

CNYBearFan54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Man, a Super Bowl would be amazing! Winning on Madden just doesn't do it for me! Need a real one, since its been 29 years and I was 5. Lol

BearDown
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    JABF, where you been?
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    I heard some here thought I'd died, because I'm an old geezer.
    If I had died, I'd have tried to talk St. Peter into sending the Bears to a few super bowls...........and sending Green Bay to a far hotter place than Wisconsin. :)
    • Like Like x 4
  18. CNYBearFan54

CNYBearFan54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I like your ideas JABF!
  19. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,196 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Lots of knee jerk reactions to O.P. that we've haven't heard opposing argument for either yay or nay.
  20. Boochee Man

Boochee Man Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    No one criticizes Stafford for padding his stats by throwing jump balls to Megatron. It's the anti-Jay bias all over again.