Cutler throws to Marshall because he catches the ball!

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JoeBear, Aug 16, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,652 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Det is a, and always has been, a shitty none important football team. Romo was/is heavily critisized for throwing to Witten to much, it was a huge cause for the TO meltdown in the Big D, but comparing Dallas to Det is unfair b/c if Det doesn't care about their football team. Dal/Chi hold much higher standards for their team winning(deserved or not). But winning takes care of that, if the Bears went deep into the playoffs and BMarsh had 120 catches and no other player had 50, no one would care b/c they made a deep run. But go 8-8 and miss the playoffs and have those same #'s and people are going to judge you different in this town.

Besides, for all the complaints about the lack of weapons Cutler has....what DOES Stafford have? Does have have a Forte, one of the most complete ultra backs? Does stafford have anyone w/sticky hands like E Bennett? Does he have anyone as dynamic on the other side of Megatron like Jeffery? Only their TE's are impressive in Pettiegrew and Scheffler and they had 59/44 catches respectively. They literally had no reliable rb or wr's other then Calvin...Only Bear to have more then 30 catches was Forte, and none had more then 50.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,282 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,703ß
    Isn't that the crux of the argument? Does it matter how many effective weapons we have if only is going to be used?
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,652 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Isn't it though? Why surround and pay all this cap and use all these draft picks if he won't use them? Montana/Brady/Brees/Manning all had goto guys, but they also spread the ball around also...Brady especially.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,282 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,703ß
    That is the only way to move deep into the playoffs. If a team knows that under pressure, Cutler is only going to look at Marchall, then shutting down the passing game is easy. Pressure Cutler and put as many people as needed on Marshall. Get your INT and repeat.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,652 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    And now you know what Charles Woodson knows and why GB was never scared of Cutler.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    This is exactly what the better teams do to beat us. It's not complicated. And it works for them. Jay may complete a few passes to B.Marsh in these games, but in the end they get enough ints to beat us. It makes my blood boil to watch Green Bay do this to us.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,652 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Same way a much less talented Wash beat us a few years ago, Cutler kept throwing Hall's way and he ended up w/4 picks. After the game Cutler said he'd do it again too....only hope for Cutler is if Trestman can break that stubbornness/arrogance of his. If he does you have a stop notch talented qb, if not you have a guy that will always cost the team in big games.
  8. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    BM will be thrown to ALOT. Last year AJ and EB where down with injuries. MF was used as a blocker, along with the ( cough cough ) TE's, who really couldn't catch. This year I see MF being used right, MB will catch his share down the seem, hope AJ can stay healthy. It will be spread around, unless teams defend the pass, then MF will chew up the yards in the run game. BUT BM will be thrown to a lot, which he should be.

Sidenote : JC needs to make the right read as to when to push it to BM.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +717 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    In a weird way I'm glad/pleased this happening with the ints and Bmarsh issue at this time of the season. Trestman is running a vanilla offense yes. So you can rest assured Trestman is brainstorming these issues way more than we could ever imagine. Because if anybody doesn't want to see these issues during the real season it's him.Trestman provides me with a sense of serenity now about OC/HC we have never experienced since I've been watching Bear football. Would I feel this way if Lovie and Tice were still here? Not even close. We would still be discussing the same line issues with a rearrangement of deck chairs on the titanic. While watching Tice look stirringly into his play call sheet hoping for a magic genie to pop out and help him call plays. How could you be so stupid to have the play call go from Tice to Bates to the operator to his mother and then to Cutler? When you already know you have delay issues of getting plays in on time. He never once thought this bad idea lets drop the middlemen. "Hey Jay I'll be talking right to you because I'm the OC and I don't care if don't like me this how going to happen." Now we get a sense of how Tice was rough shot by the Viking players on the Love boat scandal. Just because he's a big guy he was still a pushover much like Webb and Carimi (hence why he could relate to them so well). But I digress, I feel serenity now with Trestman lets just sit back and watch the QB whisper work his magic. That's all I'm saying.
  10. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,574ß
    Yes, but if he is ALL he throws to, that is an issue. All but two passes thus far has gone to Marshall. That is NOT good.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I wouldn't read too much into him throwing to BM five times in the second preseason game. It's obvious there is NO gameplanning going on, and I honestly believe this last game was more about breaking in the rookies on the right side of the OL than anything else , as evidenced by the huge disparity in the run/pass. I'm sure that Trestman is smart enough to emphasize Jay's strengths, and Jay is smart enough to spread the ball around this season. Can't wait for Cincy!!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,158 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,574ß
    Probably not.

BUT you would like to see him get some "real game work" with his new TE. Through two games, he has not been targeted once.
  13. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,282 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,703ß
    IDK... we can try to put perfume on the pig all we want, but when we know that the O was held back because we were only throwing to Marshall, and one of the stated goals of the new coaching staff was to utilize more of our weapons and then he goes out and does the very same thing... Well, game planning or not, he should know what he needs to be get better at and he should be doing those things.

I am a Cutler backer, but I call them as I see them. It may be hard to make good calls under pressure, but making an attempt not to target only person... Even I can do that even underpressure. I may not complte the pass, but I think I can remember to try to spread it around. I just can't make up any excuse that makes any sense for it.

Having said that, I want to see what happens in the next few games and even more, what happens in the real games. Trestman may be letting Cutler do what he wants in preseason (but if Cutler still wants to only target Marshall when he knows he can't succeed like that, it still worries me) but may make him spread it around in the real games. But even that sounds hollow. I would think that in trying to get Cutler to break old habits, he wants him to practice spreading the ball around now so both him and and the rest of his targets get more comfortable.

The only thing I keep coming back to is that Cutler just keeps going to Marshall whenever he can. That just won't work and it may even get Marshall injured and eliminate our biggest threat.
  14. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I absolutely see your point, but I have the feeling that Trestman is showing nothing of his real offense, and is more focused on evaluating the bottom two-thirds of the roster. Cutler is at the bottom of attempts for starting QBs this pre-season, and I feel that is because Trestman is not focused on Jay, Marshall, Bennett, AJ, and Forte right now. They have already stated that the starters won't even see the field in the finale, and maybe that is because Trestman is confident that they have the base down in order to implement his full gameplan when the season starts? Don't know for sure, but just the way it looks to me.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,652 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    So 670 just has some crazy call saying that PManning targetted Harrison 60% of the time which is WAY high, so I did the math, PManning targetted a near HoF WR .16 per attempt when they were both in Indy together. Cutler in his last year in Den(arguably his best year) targetted BMarsh .17 per attempt. On average over their careers together Cutler targetted BMarsh .20 per attempt, last year .28. I think it's safe to say that Cutler targetted BMarsh to often last year, and this year w/all the talent around him, there is no reason to get that back down around .17.

***Did the math wrong should have went rec's to comp's:
    Manning 3829 while w/Harrison, Harrison 965=.25 biggest % was in 2002 at .36.
    Cutler 1017 while w/Marshal, Marrshal 344=.34, biggest % last year at .46. His best year(2008 was just .27), which again falls in line w/Manning's average...and Manning's average his SB year w/Harrison(.26).
    I would like to see Cutler get back to targetting BMarsh sub 30% of the time, escpecially w/all the weapons he now has.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,652 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Harrison Manning target %
    Receiving Passing
    Rec Comp
    60 371 16%
    20 337 6%
    95 362 26%
    82 305 27%
    86 336 26%
    94 379 25%
    143 392 36%
    109 343 32%
    102 357 29%
    115 331 35%
    59 326 18%
    965 3839 25% total

Marshal Cutler target %
    Receiving Passing
    Rec Comp
    118 255 46%
    104 384 27%
    102 297 34%
    20 81 25%
    344 1,017 34%
    688 2034 34% total

Since it was put up there, Stafford to Megatron

Cjohn Mstaff target %
    Receiving Passing
    Rec Comp
    122 435 28%
    96 421 23%
    n/a n/a *staff only played 3 games
    67 201 33%
    285 1057 27% total
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  17. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    Don't you all see what is happening?

They are setting up for the Regular Season by making all the teams "think" that Brandon is going to get all the throws, but when the season starts then AJ, Bennett, Forte, and others will actually get the throws. :)
    ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,652 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    I'm hardly crying about the sky falling, but it is a disturbing trend when you look at his past we need it to be mid 20's, not 30's/40's.
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    I wasn't going to bring this point up, but since you did BIH, I'll jump in. I thought this exact same thing. B.Marsh plays with a lot of heart, trying to get every last yard after the catch. This is great, but the down side is that his body gets hammered bigtime, play after play. He's usually double, or even triple teamed so they just unload on him after the catch. He is already high mileage for a relatively young WR, and he's having hip problems already (really not a good thing to have hip issues at 29 years of age). Consequently, if Jay overuses the guy, don't expect his body to hold up long-term. We'll wear him out prematurely.

And that would be a tragedy. It doesn't have to be that way.......spread the ball around to the other excellent weapons we now have. No need to become a "one trick pony" offense that good teams shut down in big games. I mean, how stupid can we be, to just become a one trick pony? Stupid.
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,652 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    BMarsh even alluded to that this offseason, he essentially said one of the reasons he has a recovering bum hit is b/c of all the targets he's getting.
    • Like Like x 1