Cutlers deal....

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by butkus3595, Jun 5, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +700 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    Based off what Kap just got yesterday, and news that Luck and Wilson will command 24-25 + mill per year...it looks as if what I and some others said here prior will come to fruition...Cutlers deal will be middle of the pack quite soon.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    Kap's deal, for him to get all of it, requires he play 80% of snaps in a given year and either make the playoffs or be named 1st or 2nd all pro team though.

I'd also point out Kap is younger and has more playoff success then Cutler does. And his dead money is much lower then Cutlers the first 3 years, and very managable the next 2 if they decide to move on from him.
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/05/the-full-kaepernick-contract-details/

Technically, the deal has $61 million guaranteed, even though $6 million of the guaranteed salary could evaporate (more on that later). Either way, only $13.073 million is guaranteed at signing. It comes in the form of a $12.328 million signing bonus, a base salary of $645,000, and a workout bonus of $100,000.

For 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and part of 2018, the base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. On April 1 of each year, the guarantees convert from injury only to fully guaranteed. That gives the 49ers the ability to decide, in any given year, to move on from Kaepernick. And with the deadline for the conversion of the guarantee coming on April 1, the 49ers can squat on his rights until several weeks after the start of free agency, making it harder for him to get paid elsewhere.

The base salary for 2015 is $12.4 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2015.

For 2016, the base salary is $13.9 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2016.

For 2017, the base salary is $16.5 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2017.

For 2018, the base salary is $17 million, $5.2 million of which is guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2018.

The non-guaranteed base salary for 2019 is $18.8 million, and the non-guaranteed base salary for 2020 is $21 million.

In each year from 2015 through 2020, however, there’s a catch. A big one. The total payout potentially de-escalates by $2 million per year, with up to $12 million potentially going away.

Kaepernick can halt the de-escalation by taking, in any year of the deal, 80 percent of the snaps and if: (1) the 49ers appear in the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro. If he satisfies the requirement in 2014, the full $12 million remains. If he fails in 2014 but succeeds in 2015, $10 million stays. If he does it for the first time in 2016, $8 million remains. If he does it for the first time in 2017, $6 million stays — and so on until 2019, when if he satisfies the requirement that year for the first time $2 million stays in the deal for 2010.
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    541ß
    That's cute, ric, but it's beyond obvious you're so uncomfortable with the Cutler deal so as to find whatever you can to try to downplay the advantages of said contract.

You point out the flexibility of his much larger contract, and point out the conditions he has to make before earning a dime, YET you haven't been half as vocal in complimenting the Bears and Jay for not only having a mutually beneficial deal that depends largely on his ability to play at a high level, but also the fact that they restructured it so they can get a legitimate pass rusher in Allen within weeks of signing his deal.

Not to mention the fact that the 49ers are just as screwed as we are if they lose him for any lengthy period, especially considering they have already begun transitioning the offensive line to center itself around the passing game AND Gore has the potential to be cut as a salary cap liability, which puts ALL of the pressure on their QB in the future, as opposed to our situation where the running game is equal to the passing game in terms of importance. That is not to say the 49ers are going to be less talented than us, but they're taking a bigger gamble than we are.

Of course, they aren't going to find a better QB anymore than we are, and honestly both deals fit their respective teams pretty well, BUT, I'm happier not having my team as tied up as the 49ers are in a big money QB
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +700 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    Well, technically they are not any more tied up than we are. After this year Kap's contract is really is a series of 1 year deals...much like Cutlers after 3 years of this deal. Either way the per year value is what I'm talking about here. We all know, or at least should be able to acknowledge, the flexibility Jay's deal gives us. Kap wanted his deal to give the team the ability to sign some upcoming free agents on the team.

As for for the provisions...aside from injury there is no reason for Kap to not take 80% of the snaps. And as for his success...well he's been on a better TEAM, so I'll take it for what it is. Jay is the better passer of the two right now.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    My point HB was that I would have been more comfortable w/the added conditions to Cutlers considering his much more limited playoff production and his often mulit game missing seasons.

He SHOULD get that money, but it's not guaranteed that's all I'm saying Butkus, and regardless of why they got there, he was still on a team that got there, and it's not like he played horrible, not great but not horrible.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    541ß
    Yeah, honestly, I think both deals are just as beneficial to each team's needs, so I don't think either team got a worse deal. I mean, if either QB goes down, their respective team is likely done for (sorry, I don't buy into Jordan Palmer, and definitely don't see a backup replicating McCown's 2013 season, if for no other reason than the odds of that happening are unrealistic), so all things equal, both QBs signed team friendly deals
    • Like Like x 1
  8. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +910 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    904ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post/_/id/4692572/did-bears-overpay-for-cutler

Comparing Cutler's deal to Kaepernick's

Based on initial numbers thrown out regarding the value of Colin Kaepernick's new contract, Jay Cutler's deal screams that perhaps the Chicago Bears overpaid.

Or did they? It's a difficult comparison to make, but we'll certainly try.
    ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reports that Kaepernick's deal is for six years and worth more than $100 million, including $61 million guaranteed. Cutler signed a seven-year extension in January worth $126.7 million and $54 million guaranteed.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Kaepernick is the third-highest-rated quarterback in the NFL since his first start in Week 11 of 2012 -- which was against the Bears in a 32-7 rout -- with a Total QBR of 69.6, behind only Peyton Manning (83.3) and Aaron Rodgers (71.3). During that span, Kaepernick is tied for fourth in the league in victories (17) and ranks in the top 7 in yards per pass attempt and yards per rush.

In the postseason, Kaepernick owns a record of 4-2, which includes two playoff comebacks capped by game-winning drives.

Meanwhile, Cutler is 1-1 in the playoffs, completing just 50 percent of his passes for a passer rating of 84.8.

So it would be easy -- but also perhaps shortsighted -- to say Kaepernick deserved the big money, while Cutler didn't. But you'd need to look at it a little deeper to get a sense for why the Bears upped the ante to extend Cutler.

First off, general managers do like to reward players for what they've accomplished. But when making big-money moves such as the deals struck with Cutler and Kaepernick, it's more about projecting what the player will do in the future, as opposed to what he's done in the past.

In Cutler's case, he's coming off a 2013 season playing with an almost entirely new offensive line, new head coach, and new scheme run by his fourth offensive coordinator in five seasons, yet he produced a career-best passer rating (89.2), while posting the highest completion percentage (63.1) since his second year in the NFL. So after four years of bad offensive lines, turnover with offensive coordinators and changes in offensive philosophy, not to mention a serious lack of offensive weapons, the Bears finally put together the conditions necessary for Cutler to thrive in his fifth season in Chicago.

Kaepernick already had them when he shredded Chicago in his first start, throwing for 243 yards and two touchdowns to go with a passer rating of 133.1 against a Bears defense that entered that game allowing 14.8 points per game while leading the NFL in takeaways (30).

Again, it's about projecting what the player will do moving forward moreso than rewarding him for what he did in the past. And if we're projecting, what's interesting is San Francisco unloaded the Brinks truck on a player who seemed to regress in 2013 after a strong campaign in 2012. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Kaepernick completed 60.5 percent of his passes in the pocket in 2013, after completing 65.7 of his throws from the pocket in 2012, his first year as a starter.

That's not to say Kaepernick isn't worth the big payday because from this vantage point, he is.

But so is Cutler, who seems poised to take yet another step forward under Marc Trestman, operating out of the same scheme with the same coordinator for consecutive years for just the second time during his tenure in Chicago.

Dallas' Tony Romo has participated in four postseason contests over his career and owns a 1-3 in the playoffs with a completion percentage of 59.26 and a passer rating of 80.8. Yet in the new contract signed back in March, Romo received $1 million more in guarantees than Cutler over six years as opposed to seven years.

But would you rather have Romo than Cutler?

Chicago didn't overpay. The Bears simply paid the going rate on team-friendly terms for a player that could ultimately turn out to be bargain if he continues to grow.

--------------------
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,334 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    375ß
    Don't get me wrong: Kap is an exciting talent with a lot of potential so I'm not surprised that SF would want to lock him up.

But...he's still hasn't demonstrated that he can be a traditional pocket passer or read defenses all that well. And yeah, a good part of his W-L success and playoff wins are because he fell into an ideal situation for a young QB. He's got a great coach, great OL, great RB, very good receivers (when healthy), and one of the NFLs toughest defenses to bail him out. He wasn't thrown into the ocean without a raft like cutler was in Chicago in 2009-11
    • Like Like x 2
  10. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Im no 49ers or Kaepernick fan but, the point about his numbers regressing is a little deceiving.

Two of his starting receivers (Davis and Crabtree) were injured for a good portion of 2013. All he had was Boldin for alot of the year. Thats enough to make any QBs numbers go down and yet they still found themselves in the NFC Championship game.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    With the impending salary cap spike, the QB contracts in particular are going to blow up. Cutler's deal will become less eye popping soon. Maybe Emery planned this?
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    541ß
    Well, a FT on Cutler wouldn't have helped the team at all, and he wouldn't be happy with it, either
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,667 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,173ß
    They had a number of injuries, and players playing hurt, yet they still had a strong season. The best teams find ways to win, even when suffering injuries to key players. There have been teams over the years that simply amazed me with how 2nd, and even 3rd string players ended up performing well for the team. We seem to be getting our depth better this off-season, and that's what makes this possible. Injuries are a part of the game, but the best teams often (not always but often) end up in the playoffs even in years where they are hammered with key injuries.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    wr's are rarely key players, people talk about how elite RB's never win a sb, elite wr's are less, and there are more of them...same w/TE's. It's what makes elite QB's so important, and elite DL equally important.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,667 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,173ß
    I understand what you're saying Ric - and I agree that WR's are not usually key players. But I think on our team we are the exception. I do believe our WR's are a key part of this Trestman offense, and arguably the best WR tandem in the NFL right now. We kept on winning games without Jay Cutler last year, but take away Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery and we're hurting bigtime. We may (may or may not) survive 1 of them being injured. But together they make our team special - more so than Jay Cutler. I'm not hating on Jay, but I just believe the WR's he has to throw to would make even a mediocre QB look pretty decent (McCown).
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014