DaBears.com web site

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by sluggobear, May 18, 2014.

1. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I'm not sure who put this website together, but they deserve a lot of credit. I have been on different bear websites since 2000. I like how this website is put together and functions. I get through the year by reading what others have to say and their perspectives about the Bears. It is nice to be with like minded Bear fans. One again thank you very much for creating and maintaining the website. Go Bears!
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,044 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,270ß
    That would be site owner, the man, the myth, Skiwhiz
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    Thanks. The members, including myself have gone through a LOT. We actually started the site over at DaBearz.com. We eventually purchased this domain name, ran both sites at the same time. Then I pulled the trigger to merge them.

We have a pretty funny, and long history here! This site was been maintained by not just me, but the "staff" here, especially while I was deployed (I was active duty U.S. Navy; I recently retired).

While we have issues some times, I have the same frustrations, so I try to resolve them. I also try to keep things fresh here.

While we may not be perfect, we make up for it with good times!

Thanks for the compliment, but honestly, the members and staff deserve more of the credit. I usually give out more headaches than anything. Have the time people don't know what I'm doing next.. lol

This morning, I found some colors that were cooperating. So I'm tweaking them, without affecting other colors on the site (it's a pain since most colors are connected on here).

BEAR DOWN!

~ Rick
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    Isn't there some sort of law that says you can't just work on some colrs and ignore the rest?
  5. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß

HAHAHA! Nice! Somehow I bet we could debate this in The Bar Scene..

Funny thing is when I tweak one color, it also affects another area. Since there are a lot of share color "variables".
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    ok, sounds like you're good then!

Hey what happened to our smiley faces?
  7. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    I added a more advanced text editor. So it's a little harder, but adds a LOT more function for those that want it.

Click "Insert"--> Smilies.. The smilies will pop up as normal.

If you hover over the smilies a window will pop up on the right, but that is a terrible way to get smilies.

So click the Insert --> Smilies.. Then you will see them all separated by tabs and categories.
  8. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    I started this place because of the cbmb and how they didn't care about their message board.

many people have tried to copy our feel and ideas but we still remain solid while they have collapsed.

how long have you been visiting the site?
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well the sole credit for the idea and the incubation goes to Ski-Whiz. Back in 2004 he got tired of all the trolling, trash talking and juvenile bullshit that went on the Bears official site and decided to start this site recruiting a number of us from that official site along the way.

It's been about ten years now (don't we have an official tenth year anniversary coming up?) and not only are we still going strong, we've grown tremendously in membership as well as having increased the sophistication of the site ten fold or more.

Glad to have you with us sluggo. It's good posters and good members who help keep this place alive with lot of help and assistance from Ski and the rest of the Admin Staff. It works well because they all work hard to keep it this way.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I agree, great job with this site Ski!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,318 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    Thank you, Ski, for this site and the tweaks you do to continually improve it.
  12. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    Thanks!! I'm doing my best, retiring from the military this year is going to help out a LOT, and the site will rock because of it!

Thanks. Who would have thought with only one kid left in my house (and a junior in HS) I would be so busy still? Either way, I'm forcing myself to find time to tweak the site, and tastefully change things.

The new site that was launched in August 2013 is awesome. The feel and speed is nice. It's the best this site has been since we started close to 10 years ago..
  13. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +399 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    Wasn't there a period where you had to recover your name? I was on this site ages ago and then my account was gone. There was some process to recover the old name but I ended up just using my current email since I no longer used the email associated with the previous account.

I echo what's been said though, great site.
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,538 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    538ß
    The site isn't without it's share of problems. For example, I can't steal Bearbucks from little bear or Bearstuff anymore, AND I've banned Benji at least a dozen times, but my non existent mod powers have no affect lol
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    I love this site and <sob> you guys too....as I mentioned in another thread I was addicted heavy to WoW, so now I swap out addictions for this site......damn you admin types for giving me reason to be online 2-3 hours a day!!!!!

At least I can do this in the backyard on my tab or at work on my phone...Thanks
  16. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    That was probably us. We merged DaBearz.com to this site. It could have been when when we lost everything last July/August. Thanks for coming back. The problems of old are hopefully behind us. It does take a lot of time to keep this place up and running. There are a lot of variables that need to be tweaked so the multiple scripts all like each other. Then there is the server and how it handles the scripts..

lol Yeah, i haven't found a way to bring back the Bearbucks. I know of a way to bring back the money side, it's the spending part that is the problem.

This new site works really well with tablets and phones. This place will get even better now that I can add content to it.
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,538 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    538ß
    As long as I can steal from Bearstuff and little bear, I'm fine with it having no other use lol
    • Like Like x 3
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,318 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    Ski, is the Kermit/Newsman poster an actual person or some sort of automated article service?

Because whatever "he" is, it's pretty annoying to be constantly cluttering up the board with duplicate and redundant threads that only contain the first few lines of some article. Any options for remedying this?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Speaking of which what was the date in 2004 you brought this online. I thought it was in late spring or early summer. I can remember you asking me to stop in and check it out and that must have been in October when I registered but the site was up and running for a few months before that as I recall. So do we have an official start date or should we just create one? I think a 10th year anniversary celebration is in order. Not many fan sites like this last this long Rick and that's a credit to you, the staff and all of the guys here.

By the way. Can we go back in the registrations and see who most of the original members were. The guys who came on board within the first year or two? I can remember quite a few but I'm sure there are others I've skipped over or forgotten. Oh, and you can leave Iron Mike and ryangasx off the list, that annoying little turd. What did we have, about 50 when we started? Now how many? And the great thing about all of it is that we're still doing business today about the same way we did 10 years ago and the CBMB that was the inspiration for this place is no more. Long Live The King! :8 14 7[1]:
  20. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,044 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,270ß
    Been here since 2006 :D