Dammit, McCown unlikely to re-sign with Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Mar 7, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,129ß
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-mccown-unlikely-to-resign-with-chicago-bears

Josh McCown 'unlikely' to re-sign with Chicago Bears

Josh McCown acknowledged last week that he doesn't "want to be anywhere else" than Chicago, but his return to the Bears is far from a given.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport said Thursday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" that it "seems unlikely" that the backup quarterback will re-sign with the team on the heels of his transformative season in the Windy City.

Rapoport named the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New York Jets as two "realistic options" for the 34-year-old McCown in free agency. He's a good bet to earn more on the open market than Chicago's willing to pay after Jay Cutler signed a multiyear deal with $54 million in guarantees. The Bucs also could be interested in Shaun Hill, Rapoport reported.

McCown was a sensation in head coach Marc Trestman's offense last season, ringing up a 13:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio and the sixth-best completion percentage (66.5) in the NFL. He also ranked fifth in yards per attempt (8.2) and third in passer rating (109.0) during a campaign that saw him fill in for and ultimately outshine Cutler.

Trestman worked magic with both Chicago signal-callers, raising questions about McCown's future away from the quarterback whisperer. We don't like his chances if plugged into a Jets attack missing weapons and an identity. The Bucs, at least, offer Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams at receiver and a punishing ground game anchored by Doug Martin and Mike James.

Bottom line: For McCown, the chance to earn a pay bump and finish his career as a starter trumps holding a clipboard in Chicago, no matter how fond he is of the city and its loyal fan base.

--------------------

It's simple, does he want money or stay in a system he succeeded in?

Come on Josh, don't be stupid!!
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Going to the Jets would be futile and he knows that but in TB he might do OK. But just OK. He'll have more weapons there than NY but he'll also be playing under one of the most boneheaded offensive HCs in the NFL. All the Bears can do is put their best two year offer on the table the first time and let him know they value him and want him back. If the Bucs throw out a number we can't touch or even the Jets, he has to do what's best for him an his family. I think it would need to be a considerably better offer for him to consider it.

Still, all of this is still just speculation lb. Nowhere in here does it say this guy has any supreme knowledge of what other teams may offer or what the Bears may be willing to pay. What they pay Cutler has nothing to do with this but that's a card these guys like to play. Hell Emery paid Campbell $3.5 mil two years ago and got screwed. Who knows how high he's willing to go? All we do know is that when he wants a player he'll usually work to get him and when he doesn't it's don't the door hit ya' where the good Lord split ya'.

It always been a 50/50 deal and in this case McCown deserved the right to shop himself. If you want to blame anyone blame Emery for not doing a two year deal with him last year when he had the chance. It may have cost him more than a vet minimum but then he wouldn't be dealing with this issue again so soon. Trestman and his system fit McCown like a glove and he was around Cutler and some of those guys for parts of three year so anyone who believes he'll walk in and just pick up where he left off is expecting a lot.

All I'm hoping for is that Phil doesn't get a bad case of tightening purse strings and gives the guy a decent offer as a reward for saving his bacon because without McCown we'd have lost 3 more games and gone 5-11 and that would not have looked good at all after Phil canned a 10-6 coach for not making the playoffs.
  3. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    156ß
    Believe we should make him a quality offer, I guess 6mil/2y would be great, would not go over 7,5/2y. It is a shame we had him on 1 year deal only, but he had to prove himself. If he goes after the money, well thats ok, he hasnt got much left, maybe he should. Im sure we could find a decent backup and Trest will make something out of it. Of course, we all hope Jay will stay healthy this year and I think this is the year he should.
    Unfortunately that Jimmy Illinois guy I liked is looking more like a 2nd round pics, instead of 4th he was projected some time ago.
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,550ß
    I still think he comes back
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    make him an offer of 4mil in 2 yrs TOPS and if he wants to be here he'll take it, if not let him go, and wish him well.
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,682 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,052ß
    McCown has to know that if the Bears can win a Superbowl in the next two years, he can basically punch his ticket for the rest of his life. Chicago celebrates their sports heroes like no other city, even a backup QB. Nobody will forget how he stepped in and performed when called upon. He has to weigh a few extra bucks NOW, vs much more later (if we can win a SB that is). Tough choice, but im sure its a good thing for him considering he was coaching HS football last year.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    few extra bucks? we are talking about a few million; and he doesn't live in Chicago, so what does he care about how the fans would treat him?
    He'd also have to believe that Chicago is a few years away from winning a SB.
    He'd also have to bank on that winning a SB over the guaranteed extra millions.
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    Offer him the above plus an incentive package based on games played/TDs/etc that wouldn't hit the cap till next year if they are earned. Something like $2m/yr with the ability to earn up to 3. That's fair and wouldn't break the bank.

If someone else way outbids us, I don't blame him for taking it.
  9. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Don't want him back, I want a mid round rookie! We can afford to draft one offensive guy
    • Like Like x 2
  10. little bear

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,129ß
    I want Emery to re-sign McCown and draft a QB in the fourth round. There's a good chance Cutty will again miss a couple of games next season. Is a rookie QB good enough to step in and win those games for us? Don't think so.
  11. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I like McCown but I think it was a fluke much like Foles was in Philly, and I totally agree on betting Cutler gets knocked out. Do I believe a rookie can pull it off? Under lovie HELLS TO THE NO, under Trestman, Yes!
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +915 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    Enough of this...you make him an offer that makes sense to the team and doesn't hinder us from doing anything else. We can't resign everybody. Christ.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. little bear

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,129ß
    I really appreciate what he's done for us last season. But $4MM for 2 years is more than enough, almost overpriced if you ask me. Don't be ridiculous, Josh!
    • Like Like x 2
  14. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Its his dumb agent filling his head with BS, let me go to the Jets or Bucs...
  15. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I don't think McCown is that dumb or that gullible. I see it as he is trying to get the best deal for him and his family. This is his last chance at a decent payday in his pro career. I don't blame him for doing it. I would do the same if I were in his shoes.

Just like player personnel decisions are all business for the coaches and GMs, the contract decisions are all business for the players.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +915 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    I don't blame him either. In this league you get the money when you can.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,024 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,724ß
    I can see McCown going strickly for the money, however, it is amazing how Chicago makes kings out of its sports players and coaches. Those players from the '85 team, Ditka, and the older players from the past, are just revered here. It is a special place. I know the money is the biggie now with players, and understandably so. But if the Bears win (not just get there but WIN another super bowl) they'll be revered here for the rest of their lives. We've all seen that over the years here in Chicago.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    The market value for "higher end" vet QB backups is $3-4m/yr so I have to disagree with you. We paid (wasted) $3.5m to Jason Campbell a couple years......to totally SUCK. He went to another team and still sucks. Daniels, Orton, Cassell all get $3-4m. Getting McCown back for $2m/yr (maybe a bit more with incentives) is a relative bargain since he's proved he can get you a couple wins in this system and Jay Cutler hasn't played a full season since 2009.

That all said, if he walks he walks and I fully understand the Bears can't get into a bidding war for him.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    And if we don't win, he's just another Bears backup QB in a long line of Bears backup QBs. There's not much money in endorsements there.

Extra bucks now is pretty good. Especially if it is a lot of extra bucks.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    673ß
    I only don't mind if Emery feels he can replace him with a mid-to-late round pick, or if price is an issue.
    • Like Like x 1