Dammit, McCown unlikely to re-sign with Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Mar 7, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,423 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    Henne just got a 2 year 8 mil deal. Now I don't think McCown will get that, he WILL get well more then 4mil in an offer.
  2. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I believe McCown was successful because of the system. I question if he would be as successful on another team. We should not get into a bidding war with another team who wants him as their starter. On the Bears he is the back up QB not the starter.
  3. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +76 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Sluggobear hit the nail on the head. McCown's revival was a product of Trestman's system & he passing the ball to three freakishly large receivers (Alshon, BMarsh & Bennett). None of that will be traveling with him to another team if they open their wallet for him, so it will be a steep decline in production if makes it onto the field.

With that said I'd love to have him back next year at a price that works (only Stein & Emery know that magic number). The backup qb is a position that cannot be over looked especially with Cutty's recent injury history.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,423 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    Who in here would believe that they could only be successful because of EVERYTHING around them and not b/c of themselves? Also, even if they did believe they were only good b/c of EVERYTHING else, who would give up an extra 2-4 million b/c of it?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    Maybe this is the time to bring in a young draftee. Draft a mostly talented D guys, but maybe grab a QB in the mix too. Not a 1st or 2nd round guy, but if a talented guy drops to us after that, maybe it makes sense to draft him this year. I'm getting this sinking feeling that we may not afford McCown after all. And I don't want to see us overspend, much as I like the guy.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    A few thoughts, relating back to Ric's post at the top of this page:

A) As I said, the full market value for "in demand" vet backup QBs is $3-4m/yr (Henne deal and others). I doubt the Bears will go above ~ $2.5m/yr + poss. incentives. So, if a bunch of teams offers him $4m or more, I can't see him staying and I wouldn't blame him. If his offers top out lower ($3m+) or the only suitor is a crappy opportunity (NYJ), then maybe we can keep him. My fingers are crossed though I'm prepared to be disappointed.

B) If he leaves, no way Emery is going ride with a mid-late round rookie as his #2. There will be another, cheaper vet QB signing or Palmer will get the job. The Caleb Hanie thing is still very fresh. Don't think Emery doesn't know that that fiasco was basically the nail in the coffin for his predecessor's career here.

C) The earliest I could see us taking a QB realistically is the 4th. I'd really rather not be in the position where we basically have to draft one rather than just might do so. Another advantage of having McCown around is to help groom/mentor a young #3 into a future #2. He's basically a backup/assistant QB coach.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    MP, I was thinking of a vet #2 backup this year, but bringing in a project behind him. I know a late rounder isn't going to be NFL ready out of the chute. But it does look like some interesting young QB's could be available later in the draft. Somebody who Trestman could work with so we don't have to go through this backup QB search annually after this season.
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Well then see ya later.
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    491ß
    How come you keep posting just what I'm thinking. We never used to agree THIS much. :bah:
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    491ß
    And maybe we should but I can almost guarantee you to the point of 99% certainty that Phil Emery will not go through a season with Cutler as his #1 and a raw rookie or even an untested vet as his only backup QB. It hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will. If not for Josh McCown the Bears may well have finished 5-11 and fans would have been really howling for Emery's hide if he'd had a Caleb Hanie type as his #2. He's not that dumb nor that incautious.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    491ß
    Nope. McCown is a long time vet who makes good decisions and his family is extremely important to him. They'll take part in his decision. You can count on it. His agent is there to field the offers and take care of the details and that's about it. Maybe you should spend more time listening to what McCown says and has said and get in his head rather than worry about his agent.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,372 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    491ß
    Ya' see we can agree on a few things. :rofl2:

I'm 100% with you on this one Josh McCown more than EARNED the right to shop himself for the best deal for him AND his family and as I told Bear Claw they'll be a part of his decision process. If Emery had locked him up for two years last year like we used to do he could have protected himself against this but he didn't. OK, water over the bridge, oh Sweet Jeezus a flood, LOL.

But he's got a chance to do it this year and I believe that's what it will take as much or more than the money. The money can give him some security but two years means he may be able to move his family to Chicago to be closer to them during the season. If Emery won't well then TB is closer to NC than Chicago so they may win the battle if they're interested. I don't see NY or Minny as serious contenders but you never know. There are always surprises in FA. I never in a million years would have believed we could sign Pep but we did.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    That's how I see it too. If we bring in a draftee QB, he'll be a developmental project for Trestman. He'll be a mid to late round pick and not ready to lead an NFL team day-1. They will have a vet to backup Jay. If McCown is that guy, then that's fine. If we can't sign McCown, then we'll bring in another vet at a reasonable cost. The new rookie would just be there to learn this first year and carry the clipboard.
  14. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Not only that, but Emery made it pretty clear he doesn't like carrying 3 QBs on the active roster. He wants his third to be practice squad eligible. If they spend too high a pick on one, they would have to keep him on the active roster or else someone else may pluck him off the PS. I just don't see them utilizing an asset like a mid round draft pick on someone they will only put on the PS. If there's a QB that Emery loves sitting there late on day 3, he might pull the trigger as like you said "a developmental project" but even that I can see them thinking isn't worth the draft pick.
  15. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +566 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    It's almost certain that if they don't re-sign McCown, Palmer is gonna end up as Cutty's backup. In this case I'd rather have a young rookie as #2 than Palmer.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    I'm with Soul on this one. No way Emery rides with a mid-late round rookie as his #2. The Hanie debacle was the last straw that punched JA's pink slip and Phil isn't going to repeat that. If McCown leaves (which is looking more and more likely with these contracts recently signed by Henne and Cassel), the Phil goes with Palmer or another cheap vet as his backup. A rookie, if we indeed draft or udfa one, will be the #3 for this year at least.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,808 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    I think that would be a smart move. It doesn't cost much money. It gives Trestman an opportunity to bring in a guy whom he believes is worth developing. Worst case, you let him go if he doesn't pan out, but best case, you may have a decent #2 in future seasons if the guy truly does develop under Trestman. I don't see this as a future replacement for Cutler, but just a way to solve the backup problem in future years with a solid, and affordable, option.