Dammit, McCown unlikely to re-sign with Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Mar 7, 2014.

1. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    338ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I like McCown but I think it was a fluke much like Foles was in Philly, and I totally agree on betting Cutler gets knocked out. Do I believe a rookie can pull it off? Under lovie HELLS TO THE NO, under Trestman, Yes!

2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,016ß
    Enough of this...you make him an offer that makes sense to the team and doesn't hinder us from doing anything else. We can't resign everybody. Christ.

• Like Like x 2
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,870ß
    I really appreciate what he's done for us last season. But $4MM for 2 years is more than enough, almost overpriced if you ask me. Don't be ridiculous, Josh!

• Like Like x 2
  4. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    338ß
    Its his dumb agent filling his head with BS, let me go to the Jets or Bucs...

5. dachuckster

dachuckster Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    923ß
    I don't think McCown is that dumb or that gullible. I see it as he is trying to get the best deal for him and his family. This is his last chance at a decent payday in his pro career. I don't blame him for doing it. I would do the same if I were in his shoes.

Just like player personnel decisions are all business for the coaches and GMs, the contract decisions are all business for the players.

#15 dachuckster, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,016ß
    I don't blame him either. In this league you get the money when you can.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,743ß
    I can see McCown going strickly for the money, however, it is amazing how Chicago makes kings out of its sports players and coaches. Those players from the '85 team, Ditka, and the older players from the past, are just revered here. It is a special place. I know the money is the biggie now with players, and understandably so. But if the Bears win (not just get there but WIN another super bowl) they'll be revered here for the rest of their lives. We've all seen that over the years here in Chicago.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,251ß
    The market value for "higher end" vet QB backups is $3-4m/yr so I have to disagree with you. We paid (wasted) $3.5m to Jason Campbell a couple years......to totally SUCK. He went to another team and still sucks. Daniels, Orton, Cassell all get $3-4m. Getting McCown back for $2m/yr (maybe a bit more with incentives) is a relative bargain since he's proved he can get you a couple wins in this system and Jay Cutler hasn't played a full season since 2009.

That all said, if he walks he walks and I fully understand the Bears can't get into a bidding war for him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. weneedmorelinemen

ßearz ßuckz:
    489ß
    And if we don't win, he's just another Bears backup QB in a long line of Bears backup QBs. There's not much money in endorsements there.

Extra bucks now is pretty good. Especially if it is a lot of extra bucks.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    942ß
    I only don't mind if Emery feels he can replace him with a mid-to-late round pick, or if price is an issue.

• Like Like x 1