David Fales and Cade McNown

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by John, May 11, 2014.

1. John

John Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Just a bit of trivia fodder for those of you who may not have known...

David Fales played at Palma HS in Salinas, CA. Cade McNown played at San Benito HS in Hollister, CA before he left for Oregon after his junior year when his parents divorced.

Palma and San Benito are ARCH rivals in the same league... and they play each other every year at the end of the regular season. Small world since both were drafted by the Bears.

I watched McNown play through his junior year in HS... and I watched both Fales and McNown play college ball. I would like to say that I am more impressed with Fales than McNown. I hope that makes people here feel more comfortable with the pick yesterday.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    Thanks John. Some here seem to like the pick, some don't. Personally, I like the pick. If he becomes a reliable backup I'll be happy.
  3. John

John Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    By the way, people are saying that Fales doesn't push the ball downfield. Here are the passing stats of the Senior Bowl:
    C/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
    D. Fales6/710414.911
    D. Carr7/12453.81 
    J. Garoppolo6/11322.9  
    K. Norwood0/1 0.0 1
    Fales' only interception came as he was being hit while throwing the ball down the sideline.

His yards per completion for the 2013 season is higher than Carr, Bridgewater, Thomas, and Savage... who all were drafted before him.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. John

John Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Apologies for the screwed up table.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,070 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    According to Trestman Fales arm is good enough, but I guess we should listen to the resident expert over the HC who is a QB guru.

http://www.chicagobears.com/multime...QB-Fales/ae8797b8-8174-499b-98a0-f0d090560463

Emery had eye on Fales for awhile, wanted to increase competition for backup role.

cavanaugh worked him out and like him, coaches and scouts all liked him.

Best man between Palmer/Jarrod/Fales. Emery doesn't see him as drafting a starter, but for a guy to fight w/a roster spot and maybe be a backup. he's not looking at him as a developmental future starter.

Trestman refers to Rogers up north as a guy that sat behind Farve learned the team and the system and came in and performed at a high level.

Will put as much time into Fales as anyone else on the team.

Biggest thing about going to see Fales live, was seeing him throw live and feel his armstrenght, and see his ability to make all the throws, also sat him down and put him on the board and talked to him.

Again if Trestman and Emery are okay w/him and his arm then I see no reason not to at least give him a chance to prove them wrong.
  6. BearJim

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    No worries John. I think I heard somewhere that Fales has been working with Jordan Palmer, our current backup QB, and Palmer has said arm strength is not a problem for Fales.
  7. BearJim

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    By the way, welcome to the board John.
  8. John

John Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Thanks!
  9. PunkyQB

PunkyQB Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Hopefully Fales can be the long-term backup QB the club envisions.

This thread just reminded me I still have a signed McNown jersey. Just couldn't bring myself to throw it away!
  10. John

John Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The things I remember most about McNown playing HS FB... he started as a safety as a sophomore on the varsity squad. He used to lay the opposing players out! When he played QB, he sucked as a junior. The team was run-oriented, and he overthrew or threw too hard for the receivers to catch. He had appendicitis halfway through the season, and he left the team. His parents divorced and he moved away to Oregon. I forgot about him until my friend called me up two years later yelling, "Turn on the UCLA game! Cade McNown is starting for the Bruins!"
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    751ß
    Welcome.
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    After hearing what both Emery and Trestman had to say about Fales the pick make sense. Palmer worked with him pre-draft and Cavanaugh went out to evaluate him personally and both were impressed enough overall to give him a thumbs up. Despite his lack of NFL playing time I think Palmer is a smart guy and a student of the game and I have a lot of respect for Matt Cavanaugh as a QB coach.

As things progressed this spring is was pretty obvious to me that the supply of vet QBs we might bring in to compete was drying up pretty fast. A couple who might have made sense re-signed with their teams and a few others wanted far more $$$ than we'd be willing to pay. So needing another arm all we had left was to draft a QB or find an UDFA we liked. Apparently Fales impressed Cavanaugh enough for him to suggest we spend a pick on him as opposed to risking him being drafted by another team.

Phil Emery also addressed the question about how the pick seemed to conflict with his earlier statement about late QB picks. He made it clear that Fales was taken to compete with Palmer and Johnson for the backup QB role and for the #3 spot. He and Trestman hope they can develop him into a competent #2 QB who can win games if Cutler goes down. They don't see him competing for the #1 QB spot anytime soon if ever. If a team gets lucky sometimes late round picks and UDFAs become starters but both made it clear that wasn't the reason they drafted him.

The kid was a productive passer in a lesser conference but IMHO every single QB in this draft was a risky pick and guys from the SEC like McCarron and Murray were 3rd day picks as well so just playing against the best didn't gain them a thing. So where Fales was drafted and for the purpose intended the pick made far more sense than taking another DB or TE or DE who had little or no chance of making the team.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. CB-CB-CB

CB-CB-CB Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think it's a good pick. He don't have a strong arm but makes good decisions.
    Making good decisions is hard to teach and arm strength can be improved
  14. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,629 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    Yes, kind of. Honestly, I wasn't impressed by McCown until he came to the Bears and played for Trestman.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,442 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    882ß
    Welcome to the board.

I agree. I like the fact that he is extremely accurate throwing. Here's some video of the 2012 season. His completion % that year was over 72%. When you watch the video he makes some remarkable throws. This is not a noodle arm QB. He's not a powerful thrower like Cutler (few are) but he can throw plenty well - and protect the football.

• Like Like x 1
  16. John

John Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    McNown, not McCown.
  17. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,629 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    Thanks! I missed that. I guess I was trying to block out bad memories. If we are talking about McNown, I would hope that anyone that walks through the QB door would have shown better than he did. He was a disaster for us.
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    John we probably should have warned you. No one uses the name McNown around here anymore. We're either trying to wipe him from our memories completely or we simply refer to him as McClown because that's about all he was good for. A laugh.

:guinness:
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,442 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    882ß
    [​IMG]
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,756ß
    Yeah, VoldeClown. Him and Ric Mirer back to back still give me nightmares.
    • Like Like x 1