David Fales and Cade McNown

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by John, May 11, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,260 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,053ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Welcome.

2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    After hearing what both Emery and Trestman had to say about Fales the pick make sense. Palmer worked with him pre-draft and Cavanaugh went out to evaluate him personally and both were impressed enough overall to give him a thumbs up. Despite his lack of NFL playing time I think Palmer is a smart guy and a student of the game and I have a lot of respect for Matt Cavanaugh as a QB coach.

As things progressed this spring is was pretty obvious to me that the supply of vet QBs we might bring in to compete was drying up pretty fast. A couple who might have made sense re-signed with their teams and a few others wanted far more $$$ than we'd be willing to pay. So needing another arm all we had left was to draft a QB or find an UDFA we liked. Apparently Fales impressed Cavanaugh enough for him to suggest we spend a pick on him as opposed to risking him being drafted by another team.

Phil Emery also addressed the question about how the pick seemed to conflict with his earlier statement about late QB picks. He made it clear that Fales was taken to compete with Palmer and Johnson for the backup QB role and for the #3 spot. He and Trestman hope they can develop him into a competent #2 QB who can win games if Cutler goes down. They don't see him competing for the #1 QB spot anytime soon if ever. If a team gets lucky sometimes late round picks and UDFAs become starters but both made it clear that wasn't the reason they drafted him.

The kid was a productive passer in a lesser conference but IMHO every single QB in this draft was a risky pick and guys from the SEC like McCarron and Murray were 3rd day picks as well so just playing against the best didn't gain them a thing. So where Fales was drafted and for the purpose intended the pick made far more sense than taking another DB or TE or DE who had little or no chance of making the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CB-CB-CB

CB-CB-CB Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think it's a good pick. He don't have a strong arm but makes good decisions.
    Making good decisions is hard to teach and arm strength can be improved

4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +3,209 / 12 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,170ß
    Yes, kind of. Honestly, I wasn't impressed by McCown until he came to the Bears and played for Trestman.

5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,098 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,502ß
    Welcome to the board.

I agree. I like the fact that he is extremely accurate throwing. Here's some video of the 2012 season. His completion % that year was over 72%. When you watch the video he makes some remarkable throws. This is not a noodle arm QB. He's not a powerful thrower like Cutler (few are) but he can throw plenty well - and protect the football.

• Like Like x 1
  6. John

John Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    McNown, not McCown.

7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +3,209 / 12 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,170ß
    Thanks! I missed that. I guess I was trying to block out bad memories. If we are talking about McNown, I would hope that anyone that walks through the QB door would have shown better than he did. He was a disaster for us.

8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    John we probably should have warned you. No one uses the name McNown around here anymore. We're either trying to wipe him from our memories completely or we simply refer to him as McClown because that's about all he was good for. A laugh.

:guinness:

9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,098 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,502ß
    [​IMG]

10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    Yeah, VoldeClown. Him and Ric Mirer back to back still give me nightmares.

• Like Like x 1