David Haugh Saved Me A Lot Of Time Here (Worth Reading)...........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 23, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    Bears defense takes another big step backward

[​IMG]
    David Haugh

Chicago Tribunedhaugh@tribune.com
    davidhaugh@TKGore Thanks for reading till the end. Ha.
    [​IMG]
    Percy Harvin runs for yards after the catch against Kelvin Hayden. (Joe Nicholson / USA Today Sports)

After Bears sleepwalk in Seattle, might be time to re-evaluate those high preseason expectations.
    Seahawks make Bears 'D' look slow; unit takes another step backward

It's only preseason, but it would be naive to ignore problem signs developing on defense, special teams.

Much to the chagrin of Chicagoans expecting so much more, the Bears arrived Friday in Seattle hoping to play up to the high NFC standard of the Seahawks but left looking more like the defending AFC champion Broncos.
    In Super Bowl XLVIII.

The Seahawks blew out the Broncos 43-8 last Feb. 2, and, obviously, the stakes of a Super Bowl loss and a 34-6 defeat in the third exhibition game do not compare. The stink, however, did.

The Bears defense couldn't stop a soul, their special teams couldn't cover with anybody except the punter and the starting offense couldn't score due to protection issues and penalties. Other than that, the Bears' trip to the Great Northwest was all good.
    [​IMG]
    When it rains on opponents at CenturyLink Field in Seattle, it pours. On their first four possessions, the Bears defense gave up four touchdowns, 250 total yards and seven straight third-down conversion attempts. The Seahawks looked so dominant the first two quarters that you expected Rihanna or Coldplay to perform at halftime. In the truest preseason evaluation, the Seahawks reaffirmed themselves as a legitimate Super Bowl favorite while the Bears regressed badly.

As far as measuring up, this was like a kid standing back-to-back with his dad, showing the gap between boys and men in the NFL — the difference between Super Bowl contenders and pretenders. That's not an overreaction to a game that means nothing as much as it is an obvious interpretation about a team vastly overrated in its hometown. Now can we all stop hearing about a special feeling in the air around Bourbonnais and Halas Hall? Maybe it was just humidity.

Let's start over now that the Bears have been together exactly one month.

Those who went into training camp predicting the Bears would win 10 or 11 games — the original thinking here — came out believing eight or nine victories sounded more realistic, if not slightly optimistic. Things can change quickly in the NFL, but the Bears appear too inferior in two of the game's three phases — defense and special teams — to keep up with the class of the NFC. Wild-card contention, here they come.

"There's a strong feeling between myself and the coaches and players that the things that happened (Friday) are fixable," coach Marc Trestman said.

(I'm sure Mel Tucker said it was fixable back in January too and unfortunately you believed him. Don't make that same mistake again. Get rid of that assclown or you'll be lucky to go 8-8 again this year.)

Can coaching fix a lack of speed on defense?

More than anything, the Seahawks made the Bears look slow — something, granted, that quarterback Russell Wilson does to many defenses. But the glaring difference in quickness reminded everybody that the Bears believed they got better defensively in the offseason but they didn't get any younger. The question is almost as old as Lance Briggs and Charles Tillman: Has either 11-year veteran or any of the other defensive regulars over 30 such as D.J. Williams or Tim Jennings lost a step?

(And I don't think it's a lack of speed as much as it is that we're playing a hesitant offense that's back on it's heels instead of attacking because it doesn't know how or where to attack.)

As much as the defensive line has improved, the back seven too often has been exposed on the perimeter for being a half-step late — especially on third downs when athletes need to make plays.

Free safety Chris Conte, underrated athletically, made an encouraging return in the second quarter but left with a concussion that further clouds his status. No other impact safety has emerged.

The youth the Bears want to infuse, guys such as linebackers Shea McClellin and Jon Bostic, have yet to master their jobs enough to make the explosiveness in their games consistently matter.
    [​IMG]

Yes, the return of cornerback Kyle Fuller after missing two games will make the defense speedier, but can a unit miss a player it never had? Should a rookie be so important?

In fairness, the Bears can point to defensive end Jared Allen playing just 28 snaps in three games and the No. 1 defense being on the field for only five quarters as mitigating factors. But enough evidence exists during defensive coordinator Mel Tucker's tenure to feel uneasy about the overall direction.

(I even had to underline the one above. No shit David. Where's all the improvement he promised?)

Nothing suggests the Bears know how to scheme their way out of anything defensively. All the new defensive players general manager Phil Emery added obscured the fact that the Bears retained Tucker, who has as much to prove as anybody on the Bears' payroll.

(When you replace 60% or more of the defensive personnel and hire two of the best teaching assistant coaches available to bring your younger players up to NFL speed and you're still having the same old problem what's the one thing you didn't change. I think the application of Occam's Razor is most appropriate here. All I can hope for as a fan is that it doesn't take them all season long to figure out that we traded Mike Tice for Mel Tucker. One couldn't run and offense and the other managed to turn a top defense into crap. I really don't which is worse.)

Quarterback Jay Cutler threw an interception that reflected poor judgment but, given his overall growth this preseason, he represents the least of the Bears' problems. Same goes for wide receivers Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery, who dropped passes they can't if they want to call themselves the NFL's best tandem. The offensive line needs right tackle Jordan Mills back and more cohesion but, in this offense, running back Matt Forte remains on pace to become every fantasy football owner's dream.

The reality is the Bears defense still threatens to ruin everything, a fact reinforced during a second straight disappointing exhibition effort.

(And that is exactly what we're facing again. Having one of the best offenses in the NFL for a change and the worst defense I've seen in my entire life of watching this team. Just get rid of Tucker and THEN try and fix it Tresty. You'll never get if fixed while Tucker is DC.)

Consider it a jolt courtesy of Seattle's best.

DHaugh@Tribune.com
    Twitter@DavidHaugh
    • Like Like x 2
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    Sorry but I'm not buying into the lack of speed or lack of talent whining from Tucker or DeCamillis. The failure of their units to produce has only one cause. Poor coaching. End of story.

If Trestman ever expects to become a top NFL HC he needs to learn to make some tough decisions and make them before the problems are completely out of hand and they very nearly are.

In my mind the only thing that keeps two of his coordinators hanging onto their jobs by their very finger tips is that's it's only preseason so they can use that excuse. But in three weeks it won't be and I see no sign that anything is improving either on defense or ST.

Without even a glimmer of progress it would be naive indeed not to project this forward to when the games do count. If Trestman wants to avoid being seen as another Lovie Smith whose stubbornness about change is legendary around here then he should be prepared to make some tough decisions quickly and prove that he actually is HC material and not just a very good OC whose also in over his head.

You all can do as you please but my championship cupcakes just burned up in an oven in Seattle and my kool aid turned to vinegar. With that defense last year that were an 8-8 team and to me they still look like an 8-8 team if that.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    Again, I can't disagree there. This D doesn't have the elite talent that Seattle does but it certainly has much more than last year. Enough to be decent anyway. The key point is that the D is underplaying its talent level. And yeah that falls squarely on coaching. I don't for a second buy the "lack of speed" excuse. There's a difference between playing slow and being slow. I'm not asking for something unrealistic here--just a D competent enough to be middle of the road and not so bad that it gets us blown out of games in the first quarter against good offenses. If you can't force a punt until late in the 3rd quarter you aren't going win the game no matter how good your O is.

As for Tuck and DeCam, they both should have been fired in January. Tucker at a minimum. Now we are stuck. It's not like there's a bunch of good DC candidates just sitting around unemployed or have the time to bring in someone new if there was. Any change would pretty much have to be internal by promoting Pasqualoni or such.

I think Mel is going to end up getting the whole season like Tice did and I really hope the results make that a bad comparison.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    After seeing one of Tuckers press conferences, I have to say I understand why he was kept. The man is humble, he really says the right things, and he really does appear to know the game. Really, on paper, he is everything I like about a good coach except the ability to make it happen.

I'm sure that he told them he knew what was wrong and was going to fix it and was pretty much right on with what was wrong and convinced them he could. I'm still going to give him till the 3rd or 4th game, but I am even less optimistic than I was about his ability to fix this defense. DeCam... no reason even to talk about him. Just a bad choice period.
  5. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Now I know why they were not getting buy in from the veterans.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    So...he's humble, says the right things, and has a good knowledge base. Do we know that he can teach? Do we know he can inspire and motivate? I don't know the answers to those questions but Trestman better be finding out. As Soul alluded to, MT better beware of turning into a reverse-Lovie--a HC who's better off being a coordinator because he fails at one phase as bad as he succeeds at another. I certainly hope there's more to keeping Tucker around than the fact that he's a nice guy who sounds reassuring.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    282ß
    Inspire and motivate are my biggest concerns also . In all the interviews and vids I've seen of this guy , the thing that has nagged at me is that he comes across as a dud . He reminds me of this guy [​IMG] ..... but with less personality . He's struck me like this for a long time . Maye I'm completely wrong . But his guys sure do play like it .
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Decided to look at previous week 3 blow outs to put this game in perspective for myself so i can enjoy week 4 players trying to make the team without feeling to bad about regular season. First i think one team in the last 2 years have won in Seattle.

2013: Lions 40 Pats 9. Pats did pretty good last year, Colts 27 Browns 6. we are no where near as bad as the browns, Redskins 30 Bills 7. Bills won twice as many games than Skins, Chargers 24 Arizona 7. Cards were slightly better in the toughest division.

2012 Steelers 38 Bills 7 both teams were just average
    2011 Texans 30 49ers 7. SanFran finished 13-3
    2010 no real blowouts
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +739 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    upload_2014-8-24_8-18-22.png
    upload_2014-8-24_8-20-26.png

upload_2014-8-24_8-21-40.png

I am going to say it one more time. The preseason means nothing. Guess we should have gotten rid of Ditka and Buddy Ryan before we won the SuperBowl

I agree there are many reasons to keep a tight leash on the coaches but preseason is a talent evaluation process. Many of the great teams over the years have had terrible preseasons. Sure its nice to win but identifying strentgth and weaknesses is much more important. I am worried like everyone else about the play of the defense and commented elsewhere on the over the hill gang we have on the defensive side of the ball. We knew we needed time to rebuilt the defense and the same people who supported that seemed to have lost there memory. We need to build for the long haul and the over the hill gang is a stop gap, yes they are going to look slower thats what age does. Why is everyone so surprised??? Same with Hester we knew he lost a step and was not as good at KR/PR as he once was so we accepted it and moved on.

Below are regular season results for above years.
    upload_2014-8-24_8-33-53.png

1982 shortened season(strike) pretty much sucked preseason and regular.
    upload_2014-8-24_8-37-38.png
    8-8 in 83, sounds familiar

upload_2014-8-24_8-39-35.png

10-6 after 8-8 season. Made the postseason in 84 even after losing 3 out of 4 preseason games.

Think we all know about 85

upload_2014-8-24_8-43-52.png
    In 84 and 85 we won 1 preseason game each year and went on to have good seasons. The other 2 years we had a good preseason one year and were average and the other we just sucked. The current staff stated they were approaching this as a normal game with minimal planning, much like Ditka and Buddy Ryan use to do and the records show. The Pre-season is not a predictor of the regular season, never has been and never will be. Reasons for concern, the over the hill gang is definetely reason for concern, the young guys need to impove, that is why we brought in new LB coach Herring and so far he has had 3 preseason games to work with the guys.

Calling for the coaches Arse in preseason is crazy and probably his fan side taking over his logical side
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    When did Tucker and Decammillis complain about the teams speed?
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    782ß
    This is my take on the situation too. But if you mention anything like this on our messageboard people just trot out the usual tired excuses for our defense. Yes, it's preseason. All of us here are intelligent enough to understand that. We get it. But there's more going on here than can just be written off as preseason play, or any of the myriad excuses people have been trotting out for this defense since last year. Something is broke here that needs fixing if we are to reach our potential as a team this year. Now cue up the "sky is falling" chicken little accusations :-)
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +739 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    The LB's are not playing to the level we need them to play at. The team is old. Not getting into a battle as we disagree, I am not saying Tucker is the answer but not willing to say he is the problem either. JMHO, Done posting on this one, we have beat this over the head in several threads and will wait and see what happens. I may or may not join the bandwagon, just not yet. Scared we have a bias here building a mountain out of a mole hill
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    782ß
    I think you make some excellent points in your posts on this. We won't know how this plays out for awhile - not for the defense, and some individual players & Mel Tucker too. I just don't want to see another season where our defense kills us. That was hard to endure last year. I sure don't want to go through anything remotely like that this year. I've been looking for anything positive to cling to this preseason that would indicate the defense is on the road to being better, and the DL does look very encouraging to me. This could all end up being okay, but man, it's tough to watch what we have at the moment.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Amen! I can't wait for the season to start if only to end all of this.[/QUOTE]
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    I completely agree. I was just saying that I think he may be the kind of guy that is hard to let go. I think that is how he made it past last year.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    Aw crap... I missed that... Shit, in that case, everything is good. Season looks like it will be a great one.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    782ß
    +1
    I think a lot of fans here feel the same way. We don't expect a top-tier defense, but just don't give us another nightmare season like last year. Just don't give us a defense that embarrasses us against the better opponents and gets us another season looking up at Green Bay's backside in the NFCN. Giving up 31 first half points to Seattle was a kick in the groin to watch. I don't want to watch our starters roll over like that in the regular season. It's a killer to watch. Last year even Detroit hung 61 points on us and swept us. 61 points. It made me sick to watch a Chicago Bears team that weak on D.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    Can someone point out again that "it's still preseason" and the Seattle game "didn't count"?

I hadn't noticed those two things. I'm glad someone told me. I feel much better now about an embattled coordinator who nearly got fired last January directing HIS defense to an 0-7 stopping 3rd down-surrendering 31 points in the first 5 possessions-and basically looking clueless out there- performance only 2 weeks before the scores DO matter.

Same thing with a ST coordinator who can't seem to get anyone blocked on returns or tackle anybody on coverage and hasn't found a single competent returner yet.

Yep nothing to see here...it's "meaningless"
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    Exactly... we're good to go now that we know that the preseason games won't count in our record. When the season starts, the coaches and players will flip that magical pixie dust switch and play like the dominant offense and good defense. Not sure why they even allow therse games as they mean nothing. Coaches are trying to fix issues they see in the preseason and they are all meaningless. Not sure why they bother. Must be a revenue thing.
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,984 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    999ß
    considering you pay reg season prices for it, ya it's mostly a revenue thing....and for the coaches to flush out the back end of the roster.