David Haugh Saved Me A Lot Of Time Here (Worth Reading)...........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 23, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +987 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,132ß
    And let's not forget Indy's preseason record (1-3) in 2006 when they won SB XLI.

Or Detroit's PS record (4-0) right before their winless season. Good job, Rod! :thumb:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,588 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,785ß
    Rod M should have been out of the league after that year, b/c as we know in football and in business past results are a good indication of future performance.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +916 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    Ok...it's still the pre-season and the game didn't count. Oh yeah, and there was little to no game planning.

Glad I could help out.
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +916 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    I mean how could he possibly call a good defense when his defense that year routinely gave up 30 plus points a game. What about that season would give anyone an indication he can call a good defense?! I saw nothing that would tell me I should have had trust in him as a coach, or that he could teach his scheme to his players!

****sounds like a familiar line eh?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PunkyQB

PunkyQB Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    I won't say the sky is falling, but I saw post after post on the Bears FB page about how the 85 Bears went 0-4 in the preseason. Well, this isn't the 85 Bears!!!
    Yes, it is the preseason, but can you honestly expect the defense to go from horrible to mediocre in two weeks?

Also, I realize it was the defending SB champs, but the Jags moved up and down on the Bears starters vs starters.

I love the Bears and always will, but I'm also a realist. The Bears have a lot of work to do.

Beardown!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    And therein lies the biggest part of the problem. Football is played on the field not on a white board. Some coaches can only deal with the cerebral part while others know how to get their teams out on the field and prepared to win games. I'm beginning to wonder which we have and so far I'm leaning towards the former.

I wouldn't have given you two cents for all that Mike Ditka knew about Xs and Os when he took over the Bears. His entire coaching background to that point was as a TE and STeams coach. But he did know how to get players juiced up to win games and players or coaches who didn't measure up didn't stick around long.

Trestman talks about the entire football playing part of the organization taking accountability and if he's a man of his word that means his coaches and himself as well. I've been told I'm a great boss to work for because I let people know at the get go what I expect from them and I always hold myself to those same standards.

It's Tucker's and DeCamillis' job to get their players prepared to play and to replace or release those players who don't or won't. It's Trestman's job to hold his coaches responsible for that and to replace them if they don't. If he allows both of the units to under perform this badly all season long then he will have lost all credibility with me.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Good point brother. Personality wise Trestman is everything you want in a HC. Smart and relatively unflappable. But what you want in a DC is a guy like Buddy Ryan whose more of a Marine Corps drill instructor. Buddy was a crusty insulting SOB but he was a great coach and a great teacher and Buddy's players loved him, respected him, and played their asses off for him.

I don't see that at all with Tucker's players. I see some guys playing at about 80% of their actual ability to play and that tells me there's a problem somewhere along the line. Either these guys don't understand their assignments or they do and they can see that it's not working. Either way they end up confused and THAT IS EXACTLY the way they're playing.

They aren't slow of foot they're slow to read and react because their understanding of the scheme is unclear. That is also EXACTLY the same problem he had last year and yet we're told "well it's because he was forced to run Lovie's defense". I only half bought into that last year and not at all this year. I've lost all patience with this guy and as a fan I won't accept another year like last one out of THIS defense. He has the players now so it's time to make it happen.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Forget past history and look at THIS team and specifically THIS teams defense which is repeating the exact same patterns they did a year ago when they couldn't stop teams on 3rd and 4th down.

There's a pattern here Mike and THAT's what you and everyone else should be looking at. What's worse is this pattern is repeating itself despite the addition of some top shelf defensive talent and two highly respected defensive coaches to work on the units who showed the most weakness last year.

The only thing that hasn't been changed is the DC and about 80% of us felt THAT was what needed to be done way back in January. Apparently Emery and Trestman disagreed and thought they could solve their problems a different way.

Sometimes a thing is just broken beyond repair and throwing all the money in the world at it won't make it work right again. THAT's what I'm beginning to sense is happening here. Mel Tucker wasn't a proven DC when he was hired and nothing that's happened since would convince any sane person otherwise.
  9. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +45 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    If the D doesn't step up, all the work on the O is a waste. The window of opportunity with this roster is small and a cluster f lke last year will not work. I felt Tucker should have been fired after the GB fiasco, and I still feel this way today. He's not the guy to get us there.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    506ß
    You can't expect Tucker to make something out of less than 6 starting pro-bowlers.

It's only a preseason game.

It's not Mel's responsibility to develop players like Bostic.

There was no game planning.

The '85 Bears were 1-3!

Did I mention that's it's only preseason still?

Hey, at least the Cowboys D looks even worse!

You do know Mel Tucker once coached a top-10 D in Jacksonville, don't you?

He also led a bitchin' pee-wee team in 1991.

The Bears older players are too old and their younger players are too young.

The '06 Lions were 4-0!

Shea is the whole problem. I hate him. And Conte. Oh wait, Conte didn't start. And he was pretty good when he was in. Shit.

Yeah, but it was the Super Bowl champs we were playing, what do ya expect?

It wasn't really a dress rehearsal, that's just a media myth.

How do you know what Tucker's calls and scheme really are? It's an unknowable mystery inside of a riddle wrapped into an enigma, don't you get it???

There were a lot of injuries last year.

The score doesn't count. Stats don't matter. It's just numbers.

Who could have foreseen the need to keep contain on that Russell Wilson guy?

Did I mention it's just preseason still?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    LOL.....

I guess it's ok if we are mediocre then!
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +916 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    Actually it was the 08 lions...not the 06 ones.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    They both sucked
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Oh for Christ sake. More fucking ancient history. Don't even bother comparing Mel Tucker with Buddy Ryan to me. They aren't even from the same planet. Just do yourself a favor and look at the patterns that defense has established. Look at what they weren't doing last year and still aren't despite an influx of player and coaching talent. It's a bunch of crap.

They aren't stopping the run effectively and they aren't getting off the field on 3rd and 4th down. So tell me please. What in the fuck has changed about the way they're playing? Nothing, that's what.

Normally I'd be more patient and accepting of the time it takes for new players to come together as a unit but not this time. Mel Tucker doesn't get that out. He used up his "get out of jail free card" with me last year when he failed to produce cohesive results with a vet defense who'd been together for years. Most DCs who turned in the results he did last year would never have gotten a second chance. He did and it looks like a big mistake.

People need to stop playing the injury card too. The Packers defense has typically been less talented, not as deep, and suffered as many key injuries as the Bears have and yet Dom Capers still manages to keep his defense competitive enough to win games for them. Stop creating excuses for Mel Tucker. He's a big boy and he's needs to step up to the plate and field a defense that this team can win with. So far he hasn't and it's not getting any better either.

If I hire a foreman and his crew to build me some buildings and the same fucking walls keep coming down in every single one they build am I supposed to blame it on lousy lumber or bad sheet rock? Or should I maybe suspect my crew isn't doing something right or maybe their foreman can't explain to them how to build walls that won't fall down!

Like I said in another post if Tucker can turn this around I'll be more than happy to eat crow because my team will be winning and on it's way to the playoffs but I'll stand here today and bet you all I'll be eating turkey on Thanksgiving this year not crow and saying I told you so way back in August.

When you have a 12 year vet leader of your defense begging off answering questions for the media before "watching the tapes" then something is wrong. I don't have any tapes to watch and I don't need to watch any to see the most glaring problems. Trestman is developing a bad habit of saying the same thing.

God dammit games aren't won watching video tapes or drawing Xs and Os on white boards. They're won on the field because you kick the other guys ass harder than he kicks yours. I hate Pete Carroll with a passion and this was nothing more than a preseason game for him and his team too but somehow they were passionate enough about winning to have gone out and kicked our asses back to the start of training camp.

Maybe David Haugh is right. That sweet smell of success that's been blown in our direction by Halas Hall is nothing more than a Fabreze laden mist to cover up the garbage Mel Tucker keeps distributing and calling his defense.
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +916 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    I know you can't read this because you blocked me, but you're just plain wrong on the packers defense and their injuries in comparison to what we had last year and it's been shown by myself and others a million times.

Games aren't won by watching tape and drawing up X's and O's? Good to know. If that's the case YOU SHOULDN'T GIVE A FUCK WHO THE DC IS THEN!!!! I mean it's not about that right? You just said it's all up to the players!!! So stop complaining!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Thank you. That's been exactly my point. It's time to wake up and call a spade a spade. Throwing money at the defense wasn't the only problem. That's very apparent now.

Some of you need to stop chug a lugging that "it's just preseason so give Mel Tucker a chance kool aid" and realize what you're really being asked to swallow is just iced piss disguised as kool aid. Enjoy your "Happy Hour". It's about to end.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,031 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,730ß
    .....and we like our chances........there's a lot of football left to play...........the sun will still come up in the morning........and Rex is our quarterback. Whoops, strike that last one :-)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    506ß
    Are we about to add: "it's fixable" to that list?
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,031 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,730ß

[​IMG]
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Yep, that's becoming the new euphemism for I really don't know what the fuck went wrong. Let me get back to you on that in a day or two. I maintain you can't fix what you don't know how to fix and I'm beginning to wonder again if we traded off a GM and HC who knew nothing about building a winning offense for a GM and HC who can't do it on the other side of the ball.

Being a Bears fan is beginning to be like spending football season on a seesaw. I look at the moves Phil Emery made and even his defensive draft picks and I don't see bad players. I see a bad DC who can't figure out what to do with them or how to get them prepared to play games. I don't care about Mel Tucker's personal issues when your D is consistently getting blown to bits by modern NFL read option and speed driven no huddle offenses then you're the wrong guy to be put in charge of that defense.

Guys, it really isn't anymore complicated than that but somehow some of you want to make it that way. Fuck the past. This is the 2014 Chicago Bears and their defense is playing a whole lot like the 2013 version but with far better personnel. If that doesn't concern some of you then you must be numb from it all or brain dead because it sure as hell bothers me and I'm not either.