Day Two Discussion

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, May 8, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    480ß
    Ratings:
    +681 / 3 / -0
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Well, like it or not the Fuller pick is in the books. What should/can our focus shift to now? Any chance at a quality safety is pretty much gone, so what do you think/want/expect we do?

With safety pretty much out the window for the here and now, I'm looking for a multitude of possibilities. DT, MLB, RB, QB, and I'm sure more all possible in day two. I just don't see a justifiable safety in day two, unless we are looking for another CB who may play S.

2. okay

okay Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I don't think safety is quite as bad a need as most here do....

Yes, our safeties both sucked last year.

But the 2 years prior to that they were passable.

Previously it was a case of bad safetys + excellent supporting cast = good safety play. (2012)

Last year it was bad safetis + bad supporting cast = horrific safety play. (2013)

This year it should end up more like bad safeties + good supporting cast (could be excellent, the talents there) = average safety play. (2014)

If Mundy is an improvement over Wright then we're already better.

I'm not saying our safeties are good, or even average. I'm just saying that as long as our defense isn't decimated by injuries like last year and the following happens:
    1) Defensive line generates a pass rush (didn't happen last year)
    2) Linebackers stop the run (didn't happen last year)

Then they won't be put in positions they can't handle so often.....remember - no one was calling safety a need at the last draft.

Take one of the following quality D linemen left in round 2:
    - Rashede Hageman
    - Timmy Jernigan
    - Louis Nix
    - Kony Ealy
    - Kareem Martin

And that supporting cast is even better....there are 5 quality D linemen there, at least a few have to be there when the Bears pick.

3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,700ß
    Ratings:
    +3,560 / 13 / -0
    I looked at safety as probably our biggest need (although perhaps not the position that would make the most difference). Emery always has a plan. I'm not sure if in his plan he counted on all the safeties being taken prior to our second pick, but that is the situation. So we can play the convert-a-player game that we have already played several times and try to convert either a current pick or a current player to S, take a S in FA, or stay pat with the safeties we have. Emery has acknowledged bad S play, so I think if we end up with the 3rd choice it is because a plan did not work out. There is no question that now we know that CB was of more importance to Emery than S since the safeties were there and he went CB. I'm not going to second guess that because I also agree that IN GENERAL a CB is much more valuable. I am not sure that is the case for us at this point in time, but that does not really matter right now.

If he is going to ply the convert-a-player route with a draft pick, I would be surprised if he takes a guy as high as the 2nd to play a converted role, but anything is possible.

At this point, I would say DT, but to be sure, we are going to need a mock to confirm it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. okay

okay Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,045ß
    Ratings:
    +1,956 / 2 / -0
    S is gone as a 2nd round consideration IMO. DT next up.

• Like Like x 3
  6. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    205ß
    Ratings:
    +402 / 1 / -0
    I'm not tied to any position, just make sure the guy is a baller and helps us win games.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    480ß
    Ratings:
    +681 / 3 / -0

I know this will be unpopular...but RB is a darkhorse if Hill is still there. Other than that, Jernigan or Hageman we can cross our fingers for but I doubt it. Fuller is growing on me, I still wonder if he is going to play safety, I think the rest of this draft will answer some questions. And before anyone quotes emery on Fuller not playing S....keep in mind I doubt he will tip his hand on the rest of the draft after one pick.

8. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    205ß
    Ratings:
    +402 / 1 / -0
    It's not a bad spot to gamble on Tuitt if he checked out medically.

• Like Like x 1
  9. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    Ratings:
    +1,600 / 0 / -3
    I'd say look to DT in 2 and MLB but for round 3 I can see a RB. The DT from USC (name escapes me) could fall to us.

10. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I think it's either Louis Nix or
    Dominique Easley both had private workouts with the Bears.
    Didn't hear or see any other of the top DT's have visits with the Bears