Day Two Discussion

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, May 8, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    126ß
    If we choose to pick a DT in the second, it's gotta be Hageman, Jernigan or Nix. Hopefully one of them will still be there when we're on the clock.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    126ß
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I'd be interested in Hagemen or Tuitt if they're around. Curious to see what direction we go in, I wouldn't put it past Emery to trade up if someone he really wants is slipping within grasp. Wonder if we could even possibly go offense? Bummer about the safeties being off the board but perhaps he has an idea for later in the draft with a LB turn S or CB turn S. Either way, lets just get this damn second round going. Hate how they're squeezing every single ounce of coverage they can out of this. Gimme 2-3 rounds day one and then just run it.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    254ß
    So the only S's worth taking in this draft are off the board, look for another CB/S in the mid rounds.
    2nd is DT/RB/LB/TE
  5. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Sounds about right, who're your remaining favorites at those positions ric?
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    That's why we need another mock so we'll know what will happen. ;-)
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    254ß
    For S/CB players look at later/mid picks like Tre Boston or Antone Exum maybe Marcus Robinson or Pierre Desir if they drop to the 4th

it's my one problem w/Fuller, it's not that he was a reach or a bad player, it's that the S class, outside of Dix/Pryor are not day 1 starter capable, and the one sthat might have been all were expected to go before 51(they went before the 2nd round). But there are plenty of capable CB's capable of day 1 playing NB and later in the year or next year moving to starting CB.

As for 2nd round look for the team to go offense, I'd say unless someone really falls that is just to much to pass up, but Emery doesn't care if someone falls to him, he's going w/the guy he wants as long as that guy is there and all other players be damned.
  8. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Fingers crossed its Telvin Smith or Will Sutton
  9. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,999 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß
    Seeing who's left, i would go with Jernigan or Nix if they are available when we pick (but probably won't be). Allen Robinson might be who we pick if that is the case (BPA and on this list).

Walt Aikens: 3 or 4th rounder
    Tajh Boyd - late rounder
    Xavius Boyd - late rounder
    Laurent Duvernay - 4th or 5th rnd
    Zach Fulton - late rounder
    Marqueston Huff - another late 2nd round possibility
    Kofi Hughes - late rounder
    Gabe Ikard - late rounder
    Al Louis - late rounder
    Jordan Lynch - late rounder (could be a local favorite though)
    Kevin Norwood - late rounder
    Tommy Rees - late rounder
    Will Sutton - late rounder
    De'Anthony Thomas - late rounder
    Chris Watt - late rounder
    James White - late rounder

So, going strictly off this list, take Jernigan or Nix if available in the second round, if not, Allen Robinson or Marqueston Huff.
  10. mshu7

mshu7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß
    I would be ecstatic if we drafted Pierre Desir in the 4th. Bears fans would probably stroke out if we drafted two CB's in this draft though.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,213 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    109ß
    THIS. Not to mention this makes Emery 3 for 3 on drafting someone not entirely on the radar (even though Emery working him out at his own campus was a pretty good hint to some of us), so it's pretty obvious that the dude has faith in his draft strategy, and after last year, he's earned the benefit of doubt on lesser known players.

The only thing that scares me is that when he mentioned getting a CB to turn into a safety, he was clear that Fuller is going to stay at his drafted position, SO we know that our GM has been at least mostly honest in stating that there's a lack of talent in the secondary.

At this point, I hope we draft another CB in the 2nd round, because it's doubtful we make a trade up for Nix
  13. Irishbear

Irishbear Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think we need to go DT in the 2nd but there isn't the 3-tech there that many are looking for. Personally I think we should go with either Nix (if he's still there) or Daquan Jones to play NT. A dominant NT will give us more scheme versatility with Ratcliff playing the 3-tech on 1st and 2nd down and then Houston coming in beside him on passing downs with Young rushing from the outside. We could also easily switch to a 3-4 front with Houston/NT/Ratcliff or Collins up front with young and McClellin coming off the outside.

Head over to draftbreakdown.com and watch some tape on DaQuan Jones, the dude is a monster! Constantly doubled and still creates havoc.

For those still looking a safety my 2nd ranked Free Safety is still available in Marqueston Huff!
  14. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +416 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Terrance Brooks interests me. Watching all the games, he was a playmaker at FSU who seemed to be always around the ball. Only decision that must be made is weather he is a tweener or he's just very versatile and can do multiple things well (much like Fuller IMO)
  15. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I wonder how much it would cost the Bears to move up. Just too much 1st round talent still available
  16. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yeah, there's a lot of DTs on the board for us, but there's also a lot of competition for those DTs already ahead of us (not to mention those active teams who will look to jump ahead). There's a ton of players all over the field still on the board who I really like, so no reason to home in and trade up, IMHO, unless the fruit is very ripe.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +638 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Targeting specific positions in each round is not how this is done, nor should it be. There are several positions of need for this team and the best guy up in one of those positions when we get there should be the pick. I think there is a better than even chance that a real stud Offensive player will be there (especially RB), and if so, it would not surprise me if we go that direction. Obviously we have more need on the defensive side of the ball, but you can't bypass real talent and real value if it falls to you. Well, you can, but it's hard to build an actual "winning" team that way.

I do have my favorites. If Hageman is there, I would love to grab him and I'd be thrilled with Will Sutton. I really like Chris Borland at MLB. Stanley Jean-Baptist has caught my eye as well, and if Hill is there at RB, I would not be disappointed at all.

These are just MY favorites, but there are many others that will help this team, and a guy like Telvin Smith would make me curious as to what we're going to be doing with our defense. Could be a fun experiment.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I said a long time ago here that SJB was my third favorite safety prospect in this draft - that hasn't changed. He and McGill are terrific conversion candidates that fans shouldn't be up in arms about converting whatsoever. Hell - even Watkins, Aikens and Desir bring the stuff you look at in NFL free safeties. I won't let Hardin sour me to this idea, and I hope most keep an open mind about it because we could be looking at a lot of big upside athletes that probably should have been playing S in college but potentially got held back at the more important CB position for the coaches' sake.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    254ß
    DL: Hagemen/Nix/Tuitt
    DB: McGill/SJB
    LB: Borland/Jones/
    RB: Hyde/Hill/West
    TE: Amaro/ASJ/Niklas